What program to organize tracks, waypoints, routes, etc?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by mr2autoxr, Oct 11, 2017.

1. mr2autoxr

mr2autoxr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using Basecamp for years with my Garmin 60csx. Now that I've been using a smartphone with OsmAnd+ I am wondering if I should still keep using Basecamp as the main area to keep and store all my tracks.

The biggest issue I have is that I always like to look at the tracks on satellite views as well as the maps I use in Basecamp. This requires me to export the track or .gpx file to Google Earth.

It adds this extra step and I wonder if I should try something else. I've used Furkot.com quite a bit and do like it's route planning, but it isn't a database to store old tracks and waypoints (not that I can tell anyways).

What does everyone you and how do you like it's organization? I typically have a folder for a certain state, or an activity that I do, and then have sub-folders from there in my Basecamp directory.
  2. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    As much as I hate basecamp it pains me to say this. But if you have a tool that does what you want an you know how to use, why change?

That being said...maybe shoot a email to the devs of furkot and ask them about it? Everytime I have had a question or maybe a new feature they have been very willing to work with me.
  3. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Google Drive or Dropbox. Then you have all the power of a full fledged filing system to organise stuff exactly your way. You can then get at your data anywhere and use it in whatever appropriate app you have on your phone.

I use mainly Locus which has its own excellent filing system built in and which interfaces directly with Google Drive and Dropbox but you can use anything - the method of transferring files to and fro simply changes a bit.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

if you don't mind basecamp, you can keep in using it. for online desktop usage I like gpsies.com

for offline....
    I use locus' database to store everything. twice a week that database automatically backs up to a zip and then uploads to my Google drive (another program uploads it) online.

you could very easily setup Google drive with "folder sync" application to upload your stuff similarly.

then you can open each track in Google My Maps. I use Google my maps a bunch for folks that have ancient Garmin devices (track point limitations) , or really aren't interested in learning a bunch of junk just to get the gpx file of a route/track. they can download it to their smartphone or old GPS with a click.
  5. mr2autoxr

Oddometer:
    So in Google drive do you have different folders for tracks, waypoints, and routes? I have lots of waypoints for gas stations, campgrounds, etc and am curios how you handle waypoints in Google drive.

Do you have various .Gpx files that just contain certain waypoints?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  6. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride mostly in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal and Italy; I have folders for each of these countries and within those, I have folders for different regions. Depending on the number of routes/tracks and POIs/waypoints that I have in a particular area, I may also have additional sub folders. My aim is to have everything I need at a particular time in one place to avoid a lot of jumping back and forth among different folders.

In this way for example, I can plan a trip to Spain, where I go quite often and so have lots of stuff and go to my Spain>North>2016 trip for all the material I want on that trip be it planned routes (nearly always in track form as I have managed to convert my friends to using tracks rather than routes - saves endless confusion), possible routes, POIs for stuff I want to see, hotels, restaurants etc.

Now, if on the ferry to Spain say, we hear that the weather in the northern mountains is crap, we could decide we want to go further south into Portugal. No sweat, a couple of years earlier we had been there and everything, plans, and actual historical tracks etc. are in the Portugal>North>2014 folder. I can give my friends access to this and so they too have all the relevant stuff on their phones.

Routes and tracks are always in gpx format and generally POIs too. Other stuff which might be information about almost anything from mountain pass seasonal closures to ferry timetables or good tyre fitting services I like to have in pdf format. My phone can always use and display these formats. I try to give gpx files meaningful names and generally limit the amount of stuff within them to one or two tracks/routes, keeping POIs etc separate. By doing this I don't have to look inside the gpx file for a particular route that has the nice hotel we stayed at - that will have its own named POI.

In Locus, which I am mainly using now, you can set POIs to be visible either all the time, or as a function of the (user determined) distance from where you are so in choosing to ride a particular area, the POIs in the area will show accordingly. Equally we could pick the hotel for example and see if we have routes that pass it which we might wish to ride again - or simply use it as a destination and plan a route to it.

In the UK, I have a couple of very large folders of POIs eg for National Trust properties and these go in a folder named National Trust. POIs for hotels will generally go in a folder named as eg North Spain hotels and as there are usually only a half dozen or so on a particular trip, I may copy those to a trip folder.

The good thing about a full fledged file system is that you can organise how you want and change it around quickly if you so decide.
    guavadude, ohgood and mr2autoxr like this.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I know you were asking Chrisjk, but let me shed more light on the possibilities of in-application storage...

with thousands (or tens of thousands, or hundreds!) of miles of tracks and routes,

Screenshot_2017-10-13-07-18-21.png

this application allows you to organize them into directories and sub directories...

Screenshot_2017-10-13-07-18-34.png

and turn whichever (or all tracks) on and off individually. this works for waypoints also.

now, this application stores everything in a database, which I upload to Google drive regularly. that database can be downloaded (about 130-150mb) , extracted, and used, on whatever device runs that application, in a couple minutes or less.

even if you didn't want to use that applications' navigation capabilities, it's worth it to look into it for JUST storage and organization of tracks. (locus)

I quit uploading individual tracks and waypoints a LONG time ago because of just how many files I would have to sort through to find the right one. now, it's all directory entries in one database.
    ThirtyOne likes this.
  8. mr2autoxr

Oddometer:
    That does look nice, being able to use Locus like that.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that too.
  9. Yermo

Yermo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I'm the developer of Miles By Motorcycle. I built it originally as a place for me to document my big trips (Deadhorse and the Trans Am Trail among others).

Friends started taking an interest and it's now grown into a place we share our plans, routes, tracks, photos, and stories from our motorcycle trips.

You can create maps, lay out routes, upload tracks, add Points of Interest, add photos, add youtube videos, etc. You can edit your tracks, annotate them, add tags, and then download them again later.

The tagging allows you to categories your tracks making it easier to search for them later. As to searching, you can search over your tracks (or the public tracks/routes of others) by map area (I store everything in a gis enabled database so you can ask "Show me all my tracks from this area"), title, tag, date.

When you save your map, it also generates a nice screenshot in case you want to post it somewhere.

For instance, here's a track of a gravel roads ride I did in Michaux State Forest in Pennsylvania, USA on my DR650 and recorded by a Garmin Zumo 550.

[​IMG]

Here's the link to the interactive map: Gravel Roads Ride Interactive Map

I'm actively developing it. If you happen to try it out (accounts are free), I take all feedback, comments, suggestions, bug reports, and interest I get seriously.
    Hashbrowns and ThirtyOne like this.
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:

that's cool!

I registered, then got login failed
  11. Yermo

Yermo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please shoot me a private message with your email or go here https://miles-by-motorcycle.com/contact and let me know what email address you used to register. I'll look into it right away. Thanks for letting me know.
    ohgood likes this.
  12. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne I got my wings back. Supporter

Oddometer:

So you use Locus as well? I am just now getting ready to purchase my first GPS unit and began tagging places of interest on maps.me through my travels in Central America a few years back. Now I'd like to be more proactive about an organizational system before I get going and eventually have to switch over to a more streamlined system.
  13. jojojones

jojojones Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:

yes, locus is my main navigation and organizing application. if there ever is a standalone GPS that gets the hint that they need a rewrite to make handling tracks/waypoints better, I'll be amazed.

over the years of adding more and more tracks/waypoints/overlays, it just gets better. I love being able to pull up a weekends rode from four years ago, while on the trail, and revisit the trails. I can't imagine talking about "that cool spot" while out on a ride and not having the file on hand to get there, until I had the chance to plug a stand alone in to a computer.

even if you hate using locus, or touchscreens, or.... have some bias against phones, it's a great way to carry all your tracks without having to tote a laptop.
    CoatsEast and ThirtyOne like this.
  15. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne I got my wings back. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great! I agree, it's great to be organized. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.
  16. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a version of Locus that runs on a regular computer? Or are you running Locus on a smartphone and moving files back and forth? Can Basecamp or any other computer mapping program talk to the Locus database?

FWIW I do most of my trip planning using Mapsource and so have developed a conventional file database that works well for me. I have a smaller version of this database in Basecamp for times when I need a feature in BC that I can't get in Mapsource, such as viewing tracks from several rides simultaneously or using kmz files.
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    1 no, you have to use an emulator to do that... I think bluestacks is the most current, but not sure.
    2 everything I do is in the phone, no need for basecamp /Google earth/similar at all. that's the beauty of the organization and powerful CPU/GPU, just turn on 20,000 miles of tracks at once, or only focus on one. no biggie.
    3 hmm. I really have no idea. it's just sqlite. if you mean synchronizing between the phone and a computer.... I haven't done that. normally I'll only Bluetooth a track or set of waypoints to run through basecamp , to make sure it's small enough for Garmin devices to handle.
    4 that's cool, everyone should have a system. I know the mapsource days were really good ones.
    5 about all I'll do is Bluetooth a track to Google earth so it's on my Google Drive and I can fly around on the big screen. the old days of babysitting a computer program or three just don't happen anymore round here.