What the Frig do I do now

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by MGV8, Nov 3, 2012.

1. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works Supporter

Oddometer:
    Strong Bad, Jimr80gs and MGV8 like this.
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    You are a brave, brave man. :lift

Must be nice to have a big space to work, with good lighting.
    BJMoose, Strong Bad and MGV8 like this.
  3. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I'm going to stay with a Moto tire up front. of course it will give me a bit more foot print. I do plan on a bunch more gravel travel ( we have an excess) for this rig so the Moto tires will probably work best.
    draperg1 and BJMoose like this.
  4. MGV8

Oddometer:
    After three trips into the Calcium Chloride they use up North it is baked on. Taking quite a bit of scrubbing to get it off, you might be right.
  5. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    They steer better in the loose stuff the wide ones 165-175 float more and steering gets vague a big moto tire would be my choice also for your locale.
    draperg1, BJMoose, MGV8 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you use vinegar or a commercial calcium chloride neutralizer product?

It depends on if you want to float on top or dig in, each has it's place. It was a lesson leaned when I moved from the Southern California desert up to Montana, & Wyoming mud & snow. Bottomless soft sandy dirt you want to float, mud & snow you want to dig down into it.
  7. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Strong Bad, post: 41634627, member: 73261"]Do you use vinegar or a commercial calcium chloride neutralizer product

No, just a good commercial soap and an industrial cleaner with lots of scrubbing. I'll have to look into something like that. The frame that is the worst is clean enough now. the next step is some sanding and new paint. It would be nice to be able to get into all the nooks and crannies of the bike to get it out of there but I think it will be there till the bike is dead and goes to crush :D
    draperg1 and LBS-USA like this.
  8. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Something like this:

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Sa...based products, Salt,salt, brine and ice melt.

Seriously you should try spraying vinegar on and let it soak. It's no so acidic as to attack most coatings.
    draperg1 and DRONE like this.
  9. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Cool I will look for some of this, I definitely will use some vinegar. Never heard that before, strange as I live in Salt country. They are now spraying out almost daily on the roads.
    draperg1 likes this.
  10. MGV8

Oddometer:
    draperg1, DRONE and BJMoose like this.
  11. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    I'd think you wold want to remove or neutralize that before paint. It might just react to the new paint and bubble it.
    draperg1, Strong Bad and MGV8 like this.
  12. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of using the neutralizer on the existing paint & bits to clean it. If the existing paint is to be stripped off before re-painting I'm guessing you shouldn't have any calcium chloride left to neutralize?
    draperg1 and MGV8 like this.
  13. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I haven't totally decided but I'm probably going to sand and paint the frame. That's not what I'm fussing over, it's more the left overs on the rest of the bike. Once I have it as a roller again I am going to try the vinegar thing. Lots of suds after.
    So between posting here, having a little winter fun I still managed to get a bit done.
    This showed up but of course I didn't have the right socket at home to torque it in properly-- 310.00 Can. bucks plus the nut and freight, Beejessus !!
    YuvfpcOsQJWThwLi1zy6MA.jpg
    CMXSr0HMQ1yfxz%MBIqHPw.jpg
    I usually drop the diff for a spline check every winter, Plus check the feel of the U joints. Don't need another drive shaft fail some where in the hinter land. Every thing looks and feels good.
    0eb2hg4PSbmWLOz3t8DdbQ.jpg
    65VFnGy9Rm+5+3W+w3FXZA.jpg
    Then I just give every thing a good look over-- Hmmm
    438lDqwYTlWnl6lmiP2LZA.jpg
    The sign of rust or a rusty spot always means movement. Been loose for a while, and no I haven't touched this one before. Not my fault honest! I fix and tighten as I see em.
    These bits are going to the paint shop for a touch up.
    KKoY9DrNReu2g4ESbF37LA.jpg
    I think the tub is good enough-- it has a few rock chips but nothing serious. I am going to re-do the rock guard on the inside and on the bottom. Notice the plug for LBS-USA
  14. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Normally at this time of year the shop is a tad slow. This year my apprentice is off at school and my old tech is on Sick Leave. Car Crash. So that leaves one tech and ME! The damn cars won't fix them selves. Anyways after work I get a bit of time. I talked with Jeff at the Beemershop about the shocks. He needs a bunch of info that I just don't have to set the spring rate on the front shock so I can re-purpose it as the car shock. So to do that I need to assemble every thing which means fixing/making the new shock mount on the swing arm. In the mean time I am going to send off just the rear shock for a rebuild. Looks like the chrome has some off the shaft which would be why it is leaking. I'll sort the shipping tomorrow.
    Tonight I, bead blasted the swing arm , knocked the bearings out and cut the Ural shock mount off. Should I say it basically fell off. In my ignorant bliss avoided rescue again.
    MxrEK5HdSNSxQWprOjiTGg.jpg
    CYfDJrfpRaSb8fONWSAb9w.jpg
    Some times we get lucky
    zkWTPxdyQgeGC8OEMWeH%Q.jpg
    I'll have to partially put the frame back together so I can get the new shock mount in the correct position. Then Fab and paint every thing. Fun Fun, more to come.
    draperg1, LBS-USA, Strong Bad and 5 others like this.
  15. steam powered

steam powered just a regular punk

Oddometer:
    If you do a mix of baking soda and water to rinse your parts in after the vinegar treatment instead of suds and then rinse in clean water it will be better.
    draperg1, MGV8, LBS-USA and 2 others like this.
  16. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Lets just hope they never make the mistake of substituting Calcium Chloride with Calcium Carbide!
    draperg1, MGV8, BJMoose and 1 other person like this.
  17. MGV8

Oddometer:
    True, but I might be using some on this project. :D
  18. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    draperg1 and MGV8 like this.
  19. MGV8

Oddometer:
    They have my rear shock at the moment. Some discussion as to whether I have the right spring on it. Jeff wants me to measure a bunch of stuff before he is happy. Of course with the rig in pieces it is hard to do. Plus he needs some measurements so we can re-spring the other shock. I was getting things ready so I could send stuff off for powder coat but will have to wait as I have to re-asssemble a bit first. Time at the moment for working on my own stuff seems to be in short supply. Next week Maybe! I did finally have that eureka moment and am happy with the new shock mount. Just have to build it now.
    fUmVVcHHSEqKPhoaVnBBIg.jpg
    Right way up??
    TMk2nLTqQTGcieeGfRz1Jw.jpg
    Nope, this works way better, Not sure why it took all after noon to try this.
    oDkvmctlTtSgKmXzRdyRHg.jpg
    More to come
  20. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Is that a track sled in the background ? With the roto pax on the back. Fat tire bike trail groomer ?