What the Frig do I do now

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by MGV8, Nov 3, 2012.

1. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The other thing I wanted to fuss with is the Car brake. Having to stomp both pedals proves to be a challenge in a panic stop. Which with me tends to happen more often than not !!!
    I searched for ideas but didn't want to get carried away. Came up with this, each pedal is still independent but when I use the bike rear brake it will apply the car brake plus if it doesn't work I can take it off.
    tempImageHq90Aj.jpg
    tempImage45dKKL.jpg
    tempImagexIOPzE.jpg
    As simple as it gets. we'll see if it works
    More to come
  2. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here’s a pic of my 2 brake lever set up. If you add a threaded bolt to the bottom one you can adjust the engagement point for the car brake.
    2B6B9942-00A7-475F-9243-48C65B7FBAE1.jpeg FB6746DF-ECCE-4E2C-A7F2-00FC53736458.jpeg B8EF81EB-32D2-4FD1-BEAE-5BF87A1B60C9.jpeg
  3. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Yours is what inspired me to solve my issue. Of course my solution isn't as elegant as yours. Function over form so to speak but nothing says I can't copy.
  4. High Octane

Oddometer:
    Well maybe there was something positive about my rambling posts.
  5. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I'm tired after today. My goal this weekend was to get the rig onto it's wheels so I could measure Sag and Weights for Jeff at the Beemer Shop. He has my shock captive :D, and won't give it back until I give him some numbers. Didn't get much done yesterday but did finish my shock bushings. Which fit nicely. Then went for a Fat Bike ride with the young-ons which damn near killed me. Getting hard to keep up with the 50 year olds.
    So today I fussed over putting together the rest of the Leading Link from @LBS-USA Had to clean the wheels first. So it looked good for pictures.
    tempImagez338gZ.jpg
    tempImagesJg5nq.jpg
    It doesn't come with instructions but the kit is so well made that it is kind of self explanatory. I guess I have put enough things together after some one else has taken them apart that things just fall into place. I did fuss over the brake lines and the Speed sensor routing a bit. Not sure I have it right but good enough for what I need today.

Still I am amazed with the fit and the thought that Ad puts into his front end. All the bolts that are needed are in place, brake hoses, seal washers, Any thing that needs threads is and all the holes line up perfectly.
    Even the fender fits perfect.

tempImagedLizAw.jpg
    tempImage0lbvjN.jpg

I was checking for any left over bits and had two plastic covers in my tray. Hmmm. Ok nice touch. As I said thinks of every thing.
    tempImage77jxDC.jpg
    Oh yeah I had to fill all the fluids before I forgot. Lost the o-ring on the rear diff speed sensor but found the spare I have so that will have to be done later.

Attached Files:

draperg1, DRONE, Strong Bad and 9 others like this.
  6. High Octane

Oddometer:
    Beautiful
    draperg1, DRONE and FLYING EYEBALL like this.
  7. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Once I was happy with the front suspension, Still have to bleed the brakes and recheck my line routing. It was time to mount the car frame, and see if my shock mount was going to work
    tempImage61OUYi.jpg

tempImageYp656T.jpg

Cool it all fits back together just like it should. No checking alignment today, that is not my mission. Nothing should have changed really. I will check again once I have the ride height set again. I'm using the stock rear shock to get a base measurement.

tempImageaJBDig.jpg

tempImagefvEfnf.jpg
    Wheels are on. I'm going to have to order a tire for the car. the others are good. Time to load it up to get a rough weight. Tub on first. Just set in place for now. It still need a good clean and I'm going to re-do the rock guard.
    Scales are ready.
    tempImageGucXCy.jpg
    Base weight of the rig. Sans fuel, panniers and winch. I did put the top box on with 50 lbs of lead in it.
    tempImageS5tuoR.jpg
    Weight with me sitting on the rig

tempImageeCGEN8.jpg

Put all my camping gear on the tub. 80 odd lbs not so bad. Missing a few odds and sods but gives and idea of how heavy things get. Probably add another 100 to 150 lbs when I'm fully loaded with fuel, gear, water and food. The fuel tank is empty and I don't have my Roto's on the tub.

tempImageRZ4zYL.jpg
    The old race car scales come in handy. I still use them from time to time at work. When some Hot Rod comes in that needs to be corner weighted.
    tempImage47RbSc.jpg

Mission accomplished. I got Kathy into the shop to read the tape measure for me. Now I have some numbers for Jeff. 4 3/16 inch Sag with a stock GS shock. Too much? I think the spring on the car shock is too stiff. I will see what he thinks. It has almost no give what so ever. It was spec-ed for the front.
    I feel better now, it won't take much to get the rig rideable. I do have to lift the tub off again and finish what I want to do there. Plus tidy up all the wiring. Shouldn't take much now. Spring is just around the corner here in BC and I like to be riding first week of April.
    More to come
  8. steam powered

steam powered just a regular punk

Oddometer:
    Did you just blank off the second hole in the lower fork bridge and run the new line from there?
  9. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I haven't yet but that is the plan.
    draperg1 and steam powered like this.
  10. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Just so enjoyable to see your progress, I don't know or understand welding, but that rig for the tub is impressive, so is the heavy duty double caliper setup in the front wheel. Also impressive is the living plant in the garage! Beautiful work Brian.
    draperg1 and LBS-USA like this.
  11. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Thanks, over time I've managed to gather a great collection of parts made by others. I just disassemble and put things back together. On the plant, my girls gave me a little palm tree 30 years ago for fathers day. I have managed to keep it alive all this time. Probably root bound again so time for a bigger pot.
    Bobmws, draperg1, brstar and 4 others like this.
  12. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nicely done! I love the scales. I wish I had easy access to one of those.
    Bobmws, draperg1, MGV8 and 1 other person like this.
  13. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Well played sir and that's actually below average weight for an oilhead with leading link forks and adv setup. I would have lost the actuator also under 1200 all up is almost extra frisky :lol3
    draperg1, MGV8 and LBS-USA like this.
  14. LBS-USA

LBS-USA Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 for EXTREME JEALOUSY on your car scales, may I have first right of refusal pretty please?

I went to the internet university to do the math and the weight distribution almost exactly matches the last rig of mine that I was able to weigh:

30% on the front wheel

49% on the rear wheel

19% on the sidecar wheel​

I also found the spring rate on the shock ordered from TT-USA to be way too stiff, even at zero pre-load. I'll let you know what spring I settle in on, as they will re-spring a new shock for you (I have an appointment to have mine re-sprung while I wait).

All in all, a very well-done refit, respect!
    TurTal, Bobmws, draperg1 and 2 others like this.
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I'l echo Mike that my GS rig weighs out at 50/30/20 and that's with me and the (50-lb) dog onboard with all our gear for a multi-day trip. I was able to measure it at a roll on/roll off truck scale.

Your comment about the speed sensor wiring was interesting. Looking at the pics I can see that with all the movement going on down there, it's a bit of a challenge. Unlike the stock bike where you just route it down the fork leg and forget about it.

mgv8ssl.png
  16. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    OH MY DOG ...so jealous of the scale!! When will Harbor Freight make one???
  17. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I am tempted to deep six the actuator, It has enough play to clunk a bit. When new it was good but soon develops a bit of internal play. I have my strut that I carry incase if fails, if I get it set where I like the handling I may swap it in.

I found it interesting watching the weight transfer. Getting on the bike took weight off the car. Etc Etc

I got the Scales years ago. I found that it was the cheapest way to make our Hill Climb car faster, Paid for them selves in a lot of 2 dollar trophies. :lol3
  18. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I'm not quite happy yet with how I have it routed. I know the caliper mount will move a bit with the suspension. Keeping out of harms way is about all one can do there. More of a concern was at the ball joint and the turn radius, there is just enough slack to not go tight at full lock in both directions. Basically still just clips to the brake hoses. We'll figure it out.

The fun continues
    Bobmws and RidgeRunner56 like this.
  19. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear Supporter

Oddometer:
    I weighed mine with a poor mans version (digital Fatman scales from Amazon). I block up the other 2 wheels the same height as the scale. I have tried it without blocking and the lbs are a little different but the percentage is the same. My K12LT/Hannigan Astro GT weighs a total of 1327.6 lbs. Front is 453lbs (34.12%) Rear 585.6lbs (44.10%) SC 289 lbs (21.77%) Sounds like we are all close on the %'s.
  20. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    "OH MY DOG ...so jealous of the scale!! When will Harbor Freight make one???"

If Harbor Freight made it,... it wouldn't work! I've never gotten anything electronic from Harbor Freight that either worked or didn't work long. I hope your experiences are better than mine.