What the Frig do I do now

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by MGV8, Nov 3, 2012.

1. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had thought the same thing, but it physically just won't fit reversed. The picture of Ad's bike is his first prototype so I am thinking there have been some changes as he went into production. I have now had it apart and back together a few times now so getting a system. Every thing is a bit of a juggle as you have multiple things loose at the same time but it all falls into place with a bit of Patience.
    Bobmws, Sunday Rider and BJMoose like this.
  2. MGV8

Oddometer:
    HA HA, no buyers remorse, just a bit of frustration with our two governments keeping the two halves apart. Soon I am thinking we will find a way. So just tuck it into a corner so it is out of the way and protected from all the drool :lol2
    Sunday Rider and LBS-USA like this.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    ABS rings :kboom

When I got my Stoker wheel. He had placed an older solid cast style ring in it. I couldn't get my bike to recognize it. I finally found a BMW master mechanic who explained that the old style solid ring and sensor created an analog signal and the ones with the holes yields a digital (on or off) signal. Is there a way to re-program the bike's 'puter to know it's a smaller ring?

eml finished 004.JPG
  4. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I Doubt it. Hoping that the smaller tire as in diameter and the smaller tone wheel will match speed somewhat with the rear. I could figure it out but that would involve Math !!! Not sure how much variation acceptance is built into the programming in the ECU. My brief ride proved that it was happy at low speed. With our Canadian/BC vehicle insurance I want to wait until the end of the month before I can put a plate on this bike. Don't get me started on that issue :dirtdog Once out on the road I will be able to tell better.
    Bobmws and Strong Bad like this.
  5. steam powered

steam powered just a regular punk

Oddometer:
    IMG20210420103019.jpg
    Obviously no ABS sensor, so I cant comment on the orientation.
  6. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Same as mine. Next time I get a chance I am going to compare tone wheels on different years of bikes. I like ABS on a two wheel bike but it is a bit of a pain in the butt on a rig. Fast down hill right hander, Left for you, on loose gravel. Gets your attention real fast. Yeah I know you're supposed to turn it off but I never remember.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  7. steam powered

Oddometer:
    The difference in diameter between the two tires is 0.6", so about 2.3%. The difference in diameters isn't as important as the number of pulses in a full revolution. The tone ring that Strong Bad pictured has 48 slots, so if your old one was the same, looking for one with 47 slots would mean you got about the same number of pulses for the distance travelled (actually about a 0.2% error).
    Flyin' Monkeys, MGV8 and brstar like this.
  8. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    It' shouldn't make a difference in which way the sensor is mounted as it's a digital on/off pulse. I notice that the openings on my larger ring are wider than the smaller diameter ring so like Steam Powered says it's the number of pulses per revolution that is what matters.
    Flyin' Monkeys, draperg1 and MGV8 like this.
  9. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Apparently with this sensor orientation makes a difference. Zero reading in the original location and good reading 90 degrees to that. Thinking it is something to do with the direction of the magnetic field pulse that is created. My thought is with the old experiment we all did in science class. Run the wire across the magnetic field and you got a current, pull it through the field and nothing. Do I have that right? Any ways a very small voltage variation .4 of a volt. I had to do a bunch of reading so I kinda understood. Totally different from the AC Sign wave the older style sensors would create. They were easy to test, the new ones not so much. At work we rely on the Scan Tool data more than taking the time to scope every car with a Sensor code. The wheel bearings are usually so bad you don't get a good reading from the sensor so the ABS ECu sets a code. Obvious with a visual. Fix the bearing and clear the codes, every thing works.
  10. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    All righty then! So much for trying to use logic. Hahaha!
    draperg1, MGV8 and brstar like this.
  11. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I gave up on logic a long time ago. We just deal with stuff the engineers throw at us and try to keep up
  12. steam powered

Oddometer:
    draperg1, MGV8 and davebig like this.
  13. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
  14. MGV8

Oddometer:
  15. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Let me know if the video works. Proves the usefulness of the winch. Gets you travel points with your sweetie
    mikepa, Bar None, LBS-USA and 3 others like this.
  16. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, the ABS functions as it's supposed too, as if there was any doubt. My rear brake/side car brake pedal mod needs work. Too much sidecar brake action and it pulls badly to the right when applied.
    tempImageGiN1ty.jpg

The new front end, Steers like a dream. Did a little gravel travel and it seems much smoother. I'll play with the shock settings but they are almost spot on, the way they are.
    Money well spent.
    Let the adventure continue
  17. MGV8

Oddometer:
    We are starting to settle into the routine of riding season. Off to work in the mornings and choose which bike to ride. Rig and the new front end are performing as expected. So are my first choice. Maybe I am not that discerning but I am not going to mess with it yet. I did take the damper off. My old VW one is quite stiff and pushing it around the shop, it was no better than before. I was a tad nervous at first as I had two camps saying different things. My first experience described at the beginning of this thread had left an indelible mark on my psyche. There is maybe the slightest wobble just as you get going but after, nothing. I am going to run with no damper for the time being. The only thing I've noticed is that the car seems to lift more than it did before. Might be that I am not carrying a Spare tire and wheel any more as it is on the front. The extra wheels are sitting at LBS-USA waiting on me to get permission to cross that pesky border line. I have tidied up a few remaining things. Found new ax holders, thanks to the inmates here and finished my divider between the trunk and the cargo area. I say this because I have never really carried any one other than Lucy the dog so the extra 3 inches of space, deleting the seat back will be welcome. There is a 1/4 inch of foam over the plywood and no the chain is not a permanent seat. For those who want to know.:D
    Ax holders
    tempImage5Q6CqT.jpg

New vinyl and seat back

tempImageRux5ZZ.jpg

Found a moment at work to put things together -- Not pretty but functional !

tempImageKZT6ov.jpg

In place

tempImageGGLqEn.jpg

My newly organized Trunk. Tools and such that are always with me.

tempImage9O63Tp.jpg

Some of the fails we had to deal with this week at work.. Tire was easy, not sure what we do with the Toyota Frame.

tempImageUcv4fp.jpg

tempImage4Eda4T.jpg

In the mean time until we catch up on the Vaccine front and they let us travel again, I'll play in the hills close to home.

tempImageint8t7.jpg

More to come
  18. MGV8

Oddometer:
    So it was a frustrating long weekend. Not the Sidecar it performed brilliantly. My old Camper Truck, I reserved two days to fix the rusty brake lines, and to fix the random misfire that has the fuel trims going all wonky. Stroker 454 so you need the thing running right or it doesn't pass a gas station even if they are blocks apart. :lol3 Brake lines are easy just involves a bunch of work if you want them routed correctly.
    The Misfire, I had pinned down to injectors, But to find some that I wanted and not the Run of the Mill reman ones that never work. Ebay to the Rescue. Some new Bosch upgrades for a reasonable price. They showed up last week. So in the process of disassembly, one of the Spark plug wires pulled apart. I was replacing leaky valve cover gaskets as well and confirming I didn't have any broken valve springs.
    No issue, phone up the supplier to order a set of wires and not in stock but they can have some late that day. They don't show up, Typical! turns out they sent the wrong part number to a different store but they will hold the right part # for me in the store 40 miles away.
    So day three, I figure a nice day to test the Rig. Great ride. Sunny, beauty of a day. I take the long way. So the store doesn't have them, show in stock but can't find, but the store further away says they have a set. No problem, I'll take the back way :-)
    Voila, I have my spark plug wires in hand but what to do. I know a real back road, 100 K of gravel to really test out that new front end, seems to handle it just fine. I might play with compression damping a bit as it did pound on the big pot holes. The road was rougher than the last time I took it. Seems a tad stiff for that kind of abuse but much better than the old front end. Back to the shop late and quickly throw on the new wires. Fuss with getting the "Zero" timing set correctly, I had, had the distributor loose. Finally get what I want and warm it up, WTF, misfire on #7 cylinder. Before it was random cylinders now just # 7, double check a few things but too late to diagnose any more and I'm late for dinner. Sleep on it. GRRRRR.
    Puttered today and ignored the Truck. I have had a random thunk in the sidecar, just turning left. ( starting to hate Random) I had re-torqued every thing after the first few rides so knew nothing was loose. Found that my Right upright was hitting my light bar support. Out with the grinder. :lol3 Several years ago I had broken the flimsy Touratech light bar mounts so made some more robust ones. My weld was a little thick !!!

Clearance
    tempImagezh30bC.jpg

Got it just to the right point of dirty :D

tempImageG0qgwK.jpg

Speaking of Welders. Upgraded the cheap 110 unit for this one, I had taken my big MIG to the in-town shop years ago and made do with the little guy at home. This one seems to weld very nicely and should work really well for a home shop. And I finally found a spot for the plasma.

tempImageD7GWuV.jpg

Next week we tackle that damn truck between every thing else going on.
    More to come
    manx16, LBS-USA, davebig and 8 others like this.
  19. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking of "double-deckering" my welders for years. Just have to actually get around to it!
    MGV8 likes this.
  20. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I don't give a shit about the thunk in your sidecar. :bash

What about the misfiring cylinder in your truck--you fix it yet? :dirtdog

There better be a good punchline to that story because I read the whole thing.
    Jimr80gs and Bobmws like this.