What the hell? or 70+mph bike vs Barbed Wire Fence (updated with bike pics)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by trc.rhubarb, Nov 22, 2016.

1. LostInPA

LostInPA Professional American

Oddometer:
    Shit man. I'm glad you got out relatively unscathed brother. Thoughts and prayers with you.
  2. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Good to know you're still with us, these things can easily end badly, it's not about the speed of the off, it's the landing that decides the outcome. Take it easy and hug your wife & family, thanksgiving might just be that little bit more personal this year?
    Ebayru likes this.
  3. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Indeed it is a better thanksgiving! Thank you all!

For sure, the soft ground, the good gear, the padding and I believe the back protector all conspired to keep me safer.
    CowboyFatBob, LostInPA and VanDT like this.
  4. Underdog71

Underdog71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Thank you for sharing and very glad to hear you are out of the hospital so quickly. Your gear certainly seemed to play a role in helping to minimize what could have been much worse injuries!

I work for Aerostich and if you would be interested in sharing your story and images with us, I know that there are many customers who would appreciate reading about how your gear performed and helped to protect you during this unfortunate event. We also have a crasher discount and would appreciate an opportunity to help get you outfitted with replacement gear when you are ready to do so. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery! Feel free to contact me at kallen@aerostich.com

All the best!
  5. Import

Import Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Daaaammmmm....dude ...I'm glad you had your visor closed....that's some scary s^*t right there...and no one to give up what happened...speedy recovery..
  6. Coby65

Coby65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a company I will do business with!
    uski, Uke, Chaostrophy and 13 others like this.
  7. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    So awesome! I'll be in touch. Thank you!
  8. Import

Import Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is awesome...well done aerostitch..
  9. mceee

mceee Welcome to the dark side!

Oddometer:
    A 70 mph get off is no joke, I'm really glad you came out of it ok. Hang in there man, and hopefully the pain let's up for you soon.
  10. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple of years ago I had a sudden rear flat at highway speed. After twice heading into the opposing lane I went off the road into the ditch. My biggest concern was that I would get stopped before going through the barbed wire fence!! I am glad you didn't get injured more severely!
    Best Regards....just jeff
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  11. ACR

ACR 52,015

Oddometer:
    :yikes

You're a tough son of a gun!
  12. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Took some updated pictures yesterday after my much feared 'first shower'.
    Shower wasn't bad at all. Don't worry though, they aren't of me in the shower.

Cleaned up with soap, a washcloth and sporting my 80's "Fame" style t-shirt with custom notching.
    Again, leaving as thumbnails because they are a bit nasty.

Attached Files:

Chaostrophy and OneFaller like this.
  13. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    Oy. Helluva deal there; very glad you're as unscathed as you are.
    Did the guy who came down from the road (laptop finder guy) have any clues about what could have caused the crash? How did he know you were down there?

Heal up, partner.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  14. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    He said I had just passed him and was in front of him a short ways. That I suddenly veered off the road to the right but didn't see why.
    I'm hoping that closer examination of my gear will help with a clue as well as seeing the bike eventually.
    I did notice blood on the outside of my helmet and enough that it was running down the side. Not sure if it's mine or not but could be related to the deer theory.

A friend pulled the exact coordinates from CHP database:

https://goo.gl/maps/qzBUNkMqCSH2

CHP info:

upload_2016-11-24_10-4-21.png

If that is the correct location, I went through 2 barbedwire fences and a road! I remember so little of the scene its crazy...
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  15. ACR

ACR 52,015

Oddometer:
    Did you possibly black out? Stroke? Diabetic? This seems so, so strange.
    Aarslikkerdanny likes this.
  16. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I am diabetic but when I got to the hospital, they checked me and did blood work up for everything from blood sugar to heart enzymes, drugs and alcohol. Did a full CT head to toe with and without contrast as well. They found no physiological reason for me to have blacked out. I wasn't tired, I had been up for hours by that point.

The part that gets me is the witness said I didn't drift over but I veered off the road. I've not seen the results of a ton of heat attacks, sleep induced, etc... crashes but in the ones I have seen, they all seem to have drifted off the road.

Based on what he told me, this was a hard, almost deliberate looking turn. But who knows!

I have no history of passing out and I felt great at the time. I had eaten and taken all medication.

I can't remember if I posted this before and comprehension is a bit tough for me right now on the pain meds but when I was 16 (I'm almost 45 now) I crashed my first car... before my driver’s license arrived in the mail even. I have no memory of that one either. I remember about 30 seconds before and immediately after although I distinctly remember the windshield shattering when I rolled it. My girlfriend was with me at the time and said I didn't act strange and that we were run off the road by guys in a GTO (stacked headlight so, 66?) with traction bars (remember those?) in the rear making it lifted. They were racing up the center stripe on a mountain road and we came around the corner to find them.

Anyhow, so I do seem to have a history of blocking out the bad stuff...

What I do know with 100% certainty is that I was up and walking around before the guy made his way down to me. In fact, I had been back to the bike, then poking around a bit before he got there... so if I did go 'out' it was for a very short period of time.

It does concern me and I guess that's why I'm so happy to consider a deer strike. Examining the front end is the first thing I'll do when I see the bike. I may never know though and it scares me to think I could have just suddenly passed out but I suppose anything is possible at this time.

I also remember being asked the "normal" questions regarding year, day, where do you live, where are you, where are you headed, who is president, etc... I remember saying 2014 two times, then correcting myself. Not sure if there is significance in that or not.

Thanks for asking, its something that I don't wan to shy away from.

There were no other vehicles and there are no charges, to my knowledge, being pressed against me, so no fears of posting anything relevant up here. I also need to find the owners of the fences as insurance doesn't seem to think that's a priority... if they want them fixed, they will come to me. I don't believe that is the right thing to do.

Got my helmet ordered yesterday, new stich to be ordered tomorrow... got bikes to ride but need to replace my commuter/adventure bike and still trying to sell 2 so that I can get a new one...
    I might forgo the Superduke and consider a new vs used GSA or maybe a super adventure... or an Africa twin. I know the Tenere isn't for me nor is the XR1000.

I can't complain too much, I'm alive, I've got bikes to ride, I've got a great family and a good job and my health! Life is good, right!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! (so America-centric, I know):beer
  17. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loosing memory of a crash is very common. I crashed my dirt bike as a teen and lost the crash and previous 3 months. Many people have no recollection of a crash even without an impact to the head. The deer is a possibility or a flat tire or a slick spot as well may cause a sudden turn. Even a gust of wind at the wrong time can send you off course.
    JJ
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  18. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    Don't rule out a deer strike from the side; you might not get the telltale fur in the fender.
    The fact that you didn't see a deer indicates that if there was one, it could have come from outside of your peripheral vision, supporting the notion of a T-boning deer from the side.

You get extra credit for ordering up a 'Stich & a helmet!:johntm
  19. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you're still with us. Get well soon.
  20. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Twitchin' on that stich. 12 hours or so :)

I'm hoping it won't be so hard to figure out if a deer or not.

Got an email from Mr Goldfine of Aerostich suggesting it could also be mechanical failure - which I agree with as well except that I'm having a hard time figuring out how the bike would have gotten so far away, and me even further if something like a rear wheel locked up or a tire blew out. I suppose it's possible but I guess I have some reconstruction to do. Hoping to get to check out the area this weekend.
    Chaostrophy likes this.