What the hell? or 70+mph bike vs Barbed Wire Fence (updated with bike pics)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by trc.rhubarb, Nov 22, 2016.

1. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Wondering if the forks dropped out, I've seen a couple reports here on advrider, something about a crimped fastener failure? Seems too crazy to suggest, but damn. Seeing the front end just missing like that..........

Any sign of animal contact?

You're my new good luck charm, by the way.
  2. Coby65

Coby65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anything obvious as to failure to cause the accident?
  3. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I'll go see it tomorrow. I haven't seen it in person yet and these were the pictures from the insurance adjustor.
    Not much to salvage!
    Maybe my shifter, seat, squardrons and possibly suspension
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are fortunate. My HS friends was decapitated by a barbed wire fence when riding. Glad you are relatively OK! Heal fast!

As for those already claiming the forks collapsed, wrong bike, that is the Wethead, and they don't just suddenly fail. More likely our unfortunate friend hit something hidden in the road.
    Carlo Muro likes this.
  5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    After the crash you had, my seat would be stained brown forever. :deal
  6. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Well it is a brown seat! :lol3
    Since I have no memory of the incident, I have no fear from it.
    But something has been on my mind a lot lately...
    I realized that I've glommed onto the thought it was an animal strike a little to eagerly. I want/need this to be something out of my control because that's an acceptable reason to crash.
    What if this is 100% my fault? What did I do? What if it happens again? I probably won't be so lucky.
    Riding is a risk I accept willingly but it's real hard to think about the "what if's"
    What if I passed out, have some undiagnosed medical condition, got distracted, who knows?
    I know it wasn't fatigue, drugs, alcohol, too fast for conditions, missed curve, etc...

Anyhow, something I'll have to deal with and I'm sure I'll get over it because I need to ride. Still, it won't leave my head.

Ok, the drugs are making me introspective and thank you once again for the 'forum' to get it out of my system.
    Foiler, Chaostrophy and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  7. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would have thought the person behind you would have seen the deer if that were the cause. The rear tire looks like it has air in the photos. There are so many variables. Maybe you will be able to learn something when you look at the bike in person. Has the front wheel been located?
    JJ
  8. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    I think I'm the only one that mentioned forks, but I don't think I claimed anything other than ignorance. I'm WAY beneath your league here.

Occam's razor and all that I'm sure you're right. But is Mr. Rhubarb fortunate, or unfortunate? :lol3
    My vote is fortunate! :beer
  9. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    theres most of one fork leg, the lower triple tree, with the ball joint appearing in tact, also crazy is it looks like the axle is still threaded into the fork lower, so whatever it was, it was fucking VIOLENT.

crazy pothole? doesn't explain the MISSING fork leg/wheel. if that wheel came off the other fork leg, its possible its in that field.

wild shit.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  10. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    No idea what else they found, found and recovered or even found and brought to the tow lot. This is the 2nd lot, first was CHP contract impound lot about 30 miles away. This one is about 5 miles away from me.
    My wife is going to take the morning off work tomorrow and take me over there. I have a follow-up appointment this Saturday with the Neurosurgeon where I have to travel right by the accident location. I'll plug the map coordinates in the GPS and have her stop on the access road near where it happened. Maybe I'll find my Scala Bluetooth and some evidence.

The pics I have right now are all low resolution, and zooming doesn't give much info. Tomorrow some better ones, although it's a bit of a walk and I'll not be able to carry my DSLR, so iPhone pictures will have to do.

The adjustor seems cool and has agreed that we will price it all out, find out what they want to give me and then I can harvest parts. As long as I put back stock parts (such as shocks & seat), they will have no issues.

For those of you with gear coverage on your policy, read it, read it again and when it still seems right, get someone at the insurance company and not your agent to tell you the truth... preferably in writing.

Progressive defines accessories:
    “Accessory” means equipment, devices, enhancements, and changes, other than those which are original manufacturer i installed, which alter the appearance or performance of the covered motorcycle. . This i includes, but i is not limited to:
    a. . . any electronic equipment, antennas, and other devices used exclusively to send or receive audio, visual, or data signals, or play back recorded media, that are permanently i installed on a covered motorcycle using bolts or brackets, i including slide-out brackets;
    b. . . sidecars;
    c. . . custom paint, custom plating, and custom exhaust;
    d. . . trailers; and
    e. . .
    safety riding apparel.
    Notice "e"
    I didn't and was told by my agent that riding gear was covered separately, just like my policy I had with Foremost that I was changing from.
    So I covered with $3k of parts figuring my bike might get wrecked but surely, nobody steals a GS; especially an adventure model because it's so tall
    This allowed for breakage of parts and recovery of much.

Well, those $2k+ metal boxes are up for discussion on if they are accessories or OEM
    Take the cost of a Roadcrafter, Arai XD4, Heated Jacket & controller, midlayer jacket, and quality gloves and that already exceeds $3k. My boots were fine.
    So, nothing I can do about it this time and that's a hard lesson learned.

Don't make the same mistake as me. Cover your stuff better and DTA (don't trust anyone)

In the end, it might cost me a few thousand dollars and that sucks but then again, i'm alive and well... and very fucking bipolar right now!
    Foiler, Chaostrophy, Cee-Dub and 4 others like this.
  11. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Walkin', talkin', eatin' and poopin'....You are waaaaayyy ahead of the game Dude!! :jkam:super:bmwrider:happay
    JJ
  12. DakarBlues

DakarBlues One-everythinged man

Oddometer:
    When it's not your time to go, it's not your time to go.

Glad to see that you came out almost OK.

Get well.
  13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few years ago while crossing a log the bike slipped to the right on the chain. Instead of stepping off the bike and letting it fall, I apparently didn't move at all. I went down with the bike, slamming my head on a rock.

Why did I apparently freeze? I've no idea. Perhaps it was a seizure, perhaps I was distracted, perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. I'll never know.

In the end, you've got to decide for yourself if it's worth it. You don't have to decide today, and you don't have to decide it all. You're allowed to put the decision off and to consult with others. If you decide to ride again, you're allowed to take it in whatever steps you need, and however small they need to be. You're also allowed to change your mind in either direction.
  14. Badjuju

Badjuju Biker Billy

Oddometer:
    Wow! Again. First time I've looked at the pics of the carnage. Unless you gain some memory of the incident--maybe less likely as the days go on--I doubt you'll ever be able to fully understand what happened. What strikes me from the pics is the angle at which the rear rack is bent up. Of course, it could have happened in the post-crash tumble, but it's also equally plausible that it was caused by being rear-ended by a high-center vehicle such as a pickup truck. Given how you described the low visibility and fog on the morning of your accident, is it possible you were hit from behind? Remember seeing lights in your mirrors? Reason I brought it up is that it would seem as if there should be mud/dirt encrusted on the rack, same as the other parts of the bike that dug in, if it was bent from hitting the ground in a tumble. Just a thought...might check the rack for paint marks?
  15. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doubt he was rear ended. See post 34.
    JJ
  16. Mark712

Mark712 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at the pictures of the helmet. It looks like the left side was hit. That's the side with the blood on it. I would take the visor off and see if there are any feathers under it. Quality equipment is priceless when you need it.
  17. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Saw the bike today. Holy crap, pictures don't do it justice. The lot manager came out to shake my hand because he couldn't believe I was alive.

Even the front shock is bent. Seat is damaged but I took it. Only other salvageable parts from my perspective are pivot pegs, rear shock, hammerhead shifter and my tool tube.
    None of my personal stuff was there, no gps, no registration, tools, sunglasses, bar bag, etc... New lot says nothing came with it, old lot says they don't have it. Nobody has the front wheel either.
    Tool tube emptied as well... BJ Squadrons - one gone, one destroyed. Kickstand bent hard.

Front axle is definitely broken off and still part in the fork.

Rear end looks good other than possum scraper and the luggage/box rack. Subframe looks good. Almost seems like the truck pulled from the rack vs the frame.

Took the Corbin off and put the stock seat on but it won't go. Bike is so tweaked, I couldn't get the seat even close.

Pictures were tough, I can't bend over to get good ones and the bike is really low right now. A friend will help me get the rear shock off and swap the pegs/shifter.

20161129_193514143_iOS.jpg 20161129_193328101_iOS.jpg 20161129_193238531_iOS.jpg 20161129_193335540_iOS.jpg
  18. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    20161129_193314925_iOS.jpg
  19. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    So more insurance info for those following... they ran the VIN. Bike is a GSA (whew), alpine white, abs, computer and heated grips... why is this important? Because the factory doesn't install the boxes that the dealer sells the bikes with most of the time. As explained to me, this is a dealer option and not a factory. Compared to my Harley or an RT which they are factory installed. So... again, why important? Because I had $3k of accessory coverage which barely covered my gear. So keep this in mind when buying insurance. I wrongly understood that if it was installed at purchase, it was covered as original equipment.

On positive stuff, so far today, I've walked 6.5 miles and I feel pretty good! Back hurts but no more than usual, so that is great for me. Yay me!

Also, my new helmet arrived from BigEbusa (vendors forum) and it's awesome. A new XD4 in Red Mesh. It's even high viz as I'd hoped for but not as high viz as my yellow. Since I ordered a silver/grey stich, I think i'll be plenty visible.

Also, Cardo reached out and offered a heck of a discount on a replacement G9x unit since my module abandoned ship and the base was destroyed in the crash. So I have a new one of those coming too. Thank you Cardo!

I need to order a new Bohn back protector I guess but this one looks brand new, so it's hard to suck it up and spend the money. I guess it's pretty dumb to not do it but my inner cheap ass is coming through.

Oh and got a shipping update... my new Stich will be here Thursday! A far cry from the 6 weeks quoted when I ordered on Friday. :clap

Adjuster got to bike today instead of next week. He says we will have an answer by early next week at the latest as to where we stand.

A very wise man has advised me to just ride the bikes I have for a bit and make sure I'm ok before buying something else. Good plan and I'll try. Since I have to pretty much start over on a new bike either way, strongly considering KTM but I really like to do long distance touring and I know the BMW is better for that. Who knows.

Still living mostly living pill to pill, but hopefully I can slow down soon.
    Foiler, Chaostrophy, rob1313 and 4 others like this.
  20. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seeing the new pics of your bike make me think how much worse my crash a couple of years ago could have been.
    JJ