What the hell? or 70+mph bike vs Barbed Wire Fence (updated with bike pics)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by trc.rhubarb, Nov 22, 2016.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Old Idiot who still rides

Oddometer:
    Hang in there good Sir ~

Your Daughter needs you as do others, some of whom your'e not even aware of .

I've been through all this too so I know what you're dealing with .
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  2. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I'll 3rd it. trc hang in there, baby steps on all the BS. I've never met you but I can say honestly you pop in my thoughts every now and then with hopes that your health and life are getting better.
    vwnate1, trc.rhubarb, SPX and 3 others like this.
  3. ACR

ACR 52,015

Oddometer:
    Likewise, was just mentioning on the Boo’s other thread about missing the old concussion team. Sometimes shit gets deep but eventually the shit ends and you’re back on a flowing trail surrounded by tall pines on a sunny day. How many times have you ever gone just a little bit further out of the sake of curiosity only to be rewarded with a majestic view or a golden campsite. Tends to happen more often than not.

Never let other people rain on your parade, and if they somehow manage, grab an umbrella and change the route.
  4. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here.
    vwnate1 and trc.rhubarb like this.
  5. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words everyone.
    I think... think I'm on an upward trend in my mental state.

Acceptance of the situation, the new person I am becoming, the change in mental capacity, etc. seems to be starting to happen.
    I practice vocabulary, mental math, and physical balance as much as I can and I can start to see some relearning going on.
    In meeting with an Ortho yesterday, he was surprised to hear me complaining about my diminished strength and my inability to do certain things anymore.
    He was quick to point out that I am able to perform most tasks that a reasonably healthy human should be able to, even if it is with pain and/or discomfort.
    I may not ever be as strong as I was, but I'm far from incapable. I guess it's all relative but I'm trying to learn and put it in perspective.
    No riding, no camping, no travel, limited walking these days but I hope to get back to PT eventually... and yes I can function so that is a good thing. It could be worse.

Not who I was, not what I was, nothing is what it was but everything is what it is and I need to try to stop being a passenger on this ride and get back into the driver's seat.
    It still blows me away, the ups and downs and the fact that it's been SOOOOO damn long.
    Thank you to everyone for sticking by me though all these crazy times.
  6. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    As hard as it has been and will be at times, it's def best to try hard not to compare the past to the present, that'll just keep you stagnant or moving backwards. Like you say it is what it is now and just keep driving forward to making a new but better future, of course easy for me to say as I am not in the position you are. School is out, so I hope you can makes some plans with your daughter for the summer that you'll both look forward to.
  7. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are on an upward trend. Wishing you continued recovery, as slow as it seems!
  8. bogieboy

bogieboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    glad to hear the upward trend!

on feeling weak, i am now 5 years past my pulomary embolisms, and my breathing capacity still isnt there... that sucks being an avid cyclist/mtb rider... i know how you feel... the things i used to do on a bicycle are waaaaaayyyyy harder now (and i usually make myself feel like i am gonna die, due to heart racing and not catching breath LOL stupid me) but be thankful for the things you can still do, and the time you can spend with the daughter!
    Motonirvana, vwnate1 and trc.rhubarb like this.
  9. CowboyFatBob

CowboyFatBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are in control of your own destiny.
  10. vwnate1

Oddometer:

You're doing fine ~

It's been eleven years since my first 'fatal' Moto crash and I'm still not good and never will be again however, I -do- ride and am still working on my various vintage vehicles....

It takes, time and lots and lots of effort & patience, you'll get there .
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  11. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I watch this channel quite a bit and I found this particular video interesting.

@vwnate1 thank you for the positive words. I hope I do and I'm sorry you are still suffering from effects.
    Rackemcrackem likes this.
  12. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    Who me ? not to worry, I'm stil alive and rode my Moto to an internet connection to post this so no worries at all .

Far too many of my mates are long gone, every day above ground is one more precious gift not to be wasted .
    Motonirvana and trc.rhubarb like this.
  13. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Of course, you are correct, but man is it hard to think about that when I'm so far down in my pit. There's a ladder down here somewhere...

Just saw your sig line and it reminded me how much I miss my old 75 r90/6.
    Hell of a bike but mine had either 36k or 136k on it.
    hardwaregrrl likes this.
  14. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    That's my point ~ there is a ladder and you're thinking about it now, no hurry, do the things you enjoy and continue along life's path, you'll get anywhere you want to go taking baby steps .

I'm bad in a serious way but I try to not let it stop me, I'm now *much* slower than before but I'm still above ground so might as well enjoy every day I awake .

You too .
    Sunday Rider, trumpet and trc.rhubarb like this.
  15. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to think that, too....
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  16. vwnate1

Oddometer:
    "You are in control of your own destiny.I used to think that, too...."

What this means is : you're in control of how you allow events to change your reality .

I'm now old and crippled but I choose to remain alive and happy, busy and so on .

Eventually I won't be able to even ride my AutoClutch Hond CT90, when that day arrives i'll get rid of it and figure out something else .
  17. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do it...It's the only thing that keeps me sane in my crazy little world. No TBI here....just regular bullshit. I'm rebuilding and installing the third complete engine in my airhead. It keeps me grounded, even though I want to blow it up. Maybe a bit of tinkering will do you good sir.
    CowboyFatBob and trc.rhubarb like this.
  18. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I find this to be true!! Do it. When I'm miserable and don't want to live through another icy winters night, I find my self a CL basket case and bring it back to life. You have to choose the right one, but its very therapeutic. I've gotten good bikes as cheap as $150 and as much as $2k. That first time it starts and you actually ride a bike that was a cold dead hunk of metal for 20 years - its really heals the soul.

And the tinkering quiets the mind wonderfully. Agree 100%
    hardwaregrrl likes this.
  19. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    In theory I go back to my regular home in about 30 days and my STBXW will come to the house I'm in now.
    That means I'll be reunited with my tools and my projects.

Here, I have no tools and no projects other than fixing this house up for her... which sadly, mostly involves my credit card vs my hands.

I've been a little better since my last episode on here and I hope it stays that way.

7.5 hours of Neuropsych testing scheduled tomorrow an hour from home. ignore any posting I might do tomorrow night.
  20. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Checking in.

Glad to see you still soldiering forward.

I just went to a memorial for a dear friend, 36, that died of brain cancer. Man, fuck cancer. But there was 350 people there all wearing tie dye or Hawaiian print, and I know he was stoked.

Hang in there man. We’re still pulling for ya.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.