What the hell? or 70+mph bike vs Barbed Wire Fence (updated with bike pics)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by trc.rhubarb, Nov 22, 2016.

1. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    That shit'll buff right out.

Amazing story dude.
    Chaostrophy and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    glad to hear you're up and moving around/walking and shit.

that kickstand foot looks salvageable too.

also stoked to hear vendors are stepping up/helping out, it does nothing but good for them, positive PR.
  3. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Getting the buffing wheel ready!

The foot is salvageable but the screw heads are gone. Bad design I think :) It was only $30 but I plan to get another CamelToe. it was a favorite of mine on that bike :lol3 I could potentially drill it out but it might be a bit precarious. If I can get the guys to leave the bike on a forklift, it will make things a ton easier for the shock and the foot... so maybe I'll bring a drill.

When this is all said and done, I plan to list all the vendors out that helped me recover. They deserve more than a brief mention in the middle of this. I truly am amazed at their willingness and desire to help in whatever way they can.
  4. celltech

celltech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang trc, thanks for sharing....wish you were able to get something concrete to help with closure. You have greatly persuaded me to keep my stich. Much appreciated. Heal quickly my friend.
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  5. german996

german996 to infinity and beyond....

Oddometer:
    Happy belated Thanksgiving , Hope to meet you some day, you walked out of that one is incredible, it looks like you and your bike might have been side swept, was there any wind? like a super strong side wind that could have made you change your trayectory? looks like a fast animal crossing the highway got you, did the bikes front end desintegrated from the jump from the HWy into the ditch and the tumbling? man I will be giving it a lot of thought tonite,,,,, thank you for posting and sharing your story..... so happy that you are getting a speedy recovery....

cheers

German996
  6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not claiming this is the answer. Just that I find it quite interesting that your front wheel is gone and you've got a broken off stub of the front axle there in the left fork tube. One could speculate that the axle shaft broke while you were riding, resulting in an abrupt turn and resulting crash.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  7. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet my paycheck he hit a bird. The visor says it all.
    aftCG likes this.
  8. Badjuju

Badjuju Biker Billy

Oddometer:
    From the OP's first post: "Monday morning, roughly 615am, commuting on i680 northbound on my way to work.
    Ground is wet but otherwise seems decent condition. Fog is present but not too heavy. It's still dark out but have good lighting."

Not saying it's impossible, but at least here in the midwest, it'd be highly unlikely a large bird would be flying in the dark.

Only one I can think of is an owl, and they're pretty rare...but if you DID HIT ONE, it'd deadass sure knock you off the bike!
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  9. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Great points everyone. We do have barn, screech and great horned out here pretty heavily.

The dead bird I saw was a red tail hawk, so definitely not a nighttime animal.

As to the axle breaking, I'll look more when I go back to the bike and try to get some close-ups of the end. I've never heard of that with the GS but that means nothing I suppose.
    The tire was fairly new with maybe 1000 miles on it, but I commute often 350-500 miles/week. Tire was 3-4 weeks old and I change my own.
    Axle was freshly lubed, bearings good, bolts torqued.

Wind, it's a very windy area but not until there is a temperature differential from the bay on one side of the hill and the fields on the other. Usually at this time of year, that's in the late afternoon. Gusts can regularly exceed 40mph but I ride through here 2-4 times a week, so I'm pretty used to that. Could have been a freak one though.

Saturday is when I'll get to see the scene for the first time. It's rained a few times since then but maybe some evidence will present itself.
  10. Phoenix65420

Phoenix65420 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Red Tails will hunt in twilight. Many times birds will use the lights of traffic to hunt. Typically I know of owl encounters (one flew into the windshield of a bus and left a perfect imprint of itself in the glass). That being said, Hawks and Owls do overlap in hunting habits and times.

I'm not saying that is what it is, but I don't think it should be dismissed.
  11. richamor

richamor like that when I got here

Oddometer:
    Bird, axel, forks, tires, weather, whatever.....hell of a story man. Glad to hear you're doing well and more importantly moving on.
    ghostryder and trc.rhubarb like this.
  12. TEXenvy

TEXenvy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you are doing okay, the ROX risers look good for the taking...
  13. Badjuju

Badjuju Biker Billy

Oddometer:
    Prolly nothing more than grass or weed debris--hard to tell from an expanded view--but take a look at the left cylinder. What's this?

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 8.34.53 PM.png

Attached Files:

14. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I'll have to take a closer look when I get to see it next. I got approval from the insurance company to go any time now and start swapping out parts.
    They expect to have a settlement offer to me by Friday as well.

New interesting news is that all my personal items: complete contents of panniers and handlebar bag, the bags/boxes themselves, tool tube contents, GPS, etc... were left at the scene.
    I called the original lot yesterday and followed up yesterday and got this response "...we only remove the frame and whatever is part of the frame. Everything else, including personal items are consider debris and were left at the scene..."

My insurance company says, and I agree with them on some level, that it's not their responsibility. CHP had it towed, insurance took it from 1st location to 2nd but stuff never made it to first.
    Insurance company says they aren't responsible for personal items or anything not attached the to moto - even apparently if it was before the crash or is necessary riding gear like gloves & sunglasses, GPS that was mounted via touratech mount, etc... they suggested I call my homeowners. Adjustor did say he will try to stop by the scene and look for my stuff. He is a genuinely nice guy and a fellow rider.

I've had the same homeowners agent for 15 years now and she wasn't surprised and offered to help. Problem is that I have to rebuy the same stuff but she's checking into that. I don't think I can buy or want to buy a new Zumo 550 and TT mount but I would like the newer equivalent. I suppose they don't owe me the newer but fair market value of the old seems right. My extra gloves, rok straps, tools, blah blah blah blah - so in the end, may prove more hassle than it's worth. I'll just be glad to be done with this and I get the feeling that I haven't begun to feel the financial pain yet - waiting on the settlement offer.

I made it from 3am until 7pm without a pain pill today, so that's good progress as well. Maybe just a few more days of the intense stuff! That's exciting stuff to me! Only 3 miles walked today but I'm really glad to be walking any miles at all.
  15. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    TRC.R,
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Crazy story.....
    FP
    tmills likes this.
  16. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That whole area is a nightmare of idiots. I commute on the Tenere from the Sac to Napa. I would not be surprised if someone ran you off the road.

I spent a morning at that same ER a few months back. Did not have to meet the SIL. Got hit on my 990 on the way to work. Right past the 680 80 merge. Someone passing everyone in the slow lane hit a car merging and spun across all lanes of traffic and wiped me out in the carpool lane. Got it slowed from 80 down to 25 and just barely hit the corner of the truck.
  17. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Glad you came out of it OK. I do believe the guy behind me, he seemed like a really good guy and unless he hit me, I can't see why he wouldn't tell me someone else did. It wouldn't be the first time someone tried to take me out while weaving at 100+mph through there though.

2 more days and hopefully I'll have a better idea. Since I have the GPS coordinates, I should be pretty close to the spot I exited. If I can find that, maybe there will be evidence although I don't plan to hang out near the freeway, just the access road. Too dangerous to be anywhere near a freeway on foot out here.
    Foiler likes this.
  18. LostInPA

LostInPA Professional American

Oddometer:
    I understand this situation completely. Man wants new gear and a new bike, significant other has a piss fit. TRC did the only thing that you can do. Crash the fucker all over the place, boom, new gear, new bike.

:-)

Glad you are continuing to heal up man.
    Chaostrophy, JaredE, nk14zp and 6 others like this.
  19. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Haha, you and her are on to me. She said something similar in the hospital! :lol3
    I got a call from a peer of my claim adjustor (adjuster?) yesterday afternoon and he's heading to the scene today to look for my stuff and take photos for me.
    Another really nice guy. This isn't even their issue as they aren't covering the losses there, it wasn't their responsibility and it means trudging around in the mud but both my guy and this one insist that it's the least they can do.
    While I'm frustrated with my insurance; it really seems that my frustration is with the company, contracts and agent vs the field people. The folks in the field are going well above and beyond expectations to help me out in any way they can. I'm impressed by them and because of them, actually considering keeping my business with these guys... albeit with a different broker and adjusted coverage.

Today some of my team are coming by the house to take me to lunch. I've only left the house once since getting home last week Tuesday, and that was to go to the dr. So it will be good to get out for an hour or so.

Also a huge dick of a friend of mine (and a reader of this) has got it in my head that I need a new 2016 Adventure. This was not what I had planned and I was certainly happy with my 07 but he makes a lot of good points and is taking advantage of me in my weakened state.

I'm working on a deal for a nice one and if I heal up enough, don't snap out of this need for new and don't get totally screwed by insurance, I'll be riding home a new one just before the new year. I honestly don't know if all the dials and such matter to me though... Mostly it's the warranty and the fact that I ride it every day. In the end, I'd be replacing the old GSA, the R90 and the Ducati with this, but I never ride the Duc and rarely the R90 and was
    selling them to get something else anyhow. I guess maybe I can live with 3 bikes for a while :yikes

Of course, I need to heal more first. But I have no intention of letting this keep me down. I will tune it out soon enough.
    Foiler, Macho Man2 and LostInPA like this.
  20. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a story! You came out alive and that's remarkable, one more check mark on the ATGATT score card. I'm glad to hear you're healing and are still interested in riding enough to be jones-ing over a new bike! :evil

+1 on the owl theory - I've struck tweety birds on my bikes before and they'll turn your head for sure, but I haven't hit anything as big as an owl on a bike. I did kill an older Ford F-150 truck once with an owl, though! It was sitting on something alongside the road very early one morning and jumped up as I passed. I never saw it before it jumped and hit it at about 55 mph. The bird dented the chromed steel front bumper, blasted right through the grill, punched through the radiator, and ended up in a smoldering mess on top of the air cleaner under the hood. The truck was dead by the time I got pulled over to the side of the road. I'm not sure what kind of owl it was but it was a BIG bird and it destroyed my truck. I'm pretty sure if one hit you in the head it would cause you to turn very quickly.

Good luck with the insurance, your bike selection (bless your "huge dick of a friend" :lol3), and your continued healing!