What the hell? or 70+mph bike vs Barbed Wire Fence (updated with bike pics)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by trc.rhubarb, Nov 22, 2016.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep on rolling, i keep wishing you well.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  2. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
  3. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Trying to post less... I realize it's been a lot of complaining over the last 3 years and
    upload_2019-9-27_7-47-26.jpeg

I'm close to getting used to being back in my home...
    Tons of projects keeping me busy since it has been pretty much neglected for a year.

Physical condition is unchanging other than I need to focus on eating well again and dropping some pounds before none of my clothes fit :lol3
    Hiking and cycling are currently out because of pain but walking I can do and if I could stop eating kids food, I'd be ok. Damn the kids food! Why are they like hummingbirds?!?!

Mentally, I have my smart moments (which is great) and my dumbass moments (normal) but that's who I am now and it's easier to accept.
    I have no trouble making decisions but I do have trouble solving the problems right in front of me. I get caught up in the little stuff vs bigger picture and that's not helpful in my job.

Next court appointed doctor is end of October and hopefully that will lead to having medical care again maybe by January depending on the court's availability to review.
    That will make 7 visits, 6 doctors. This one is a neurologist and is the one I saw for my first court ordered visit. At last view, my med records for this are over 12" tall printed out. :lol3

It's nearly the new year and I'm looking for a reset in many ways. One day I hope to be back on a bike again for more than just a few miles, but for now... I've got enough to do at home to keep my occupied for a long while.

I get to learn landscape design soon since the backyard is now a dirt field after removing all the weeds.

I still stand by my feelings that there can be no worse injury than a head injury... even death would have been better... but now that I'm here and gotten this far, I might as well see where it takes me.
    Fast1, ACR, vwnate1 and 11 others like this.
  4. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you're found a new center for yourself. Glad to hear it, been following this since your first post.
    Fast1, vwnate1, TwoUpTourer and 3 others like this.
  5. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Good to see an update TRC. Walking and landscaping/gardening will get you in good shape. Wishing you continued healing success.
    Fast1, vwnate1, DCrider and 4 others like this.
  6. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Been a while since I posted here but I have followed... good to hear your making progress, maybe start a thread about your landscaping project, you will be surprised how much support you get for that. Take care and best wishes from the south pacific.
    vwnate1 and trc.rhubarb like this.
  7. kuchibashi

kuchibashi LLB Supporter

Oddometer:
    495DAEAA-5560-4CC0-9FE3-3B25CEBF67EB.jpeg
    It’s good to see you are progressing/moving forward. Happy new year to you!
    vwnate1 and trc.rhubarb like this.
  8. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Thank you and Happy new year to all the MOT out there.

My daughter made this for the family New Year's dinner (honey cake w/ apples caramelized in honey). The cake was awesome!
    The day was full of well meaning family members who have no idea that I can't just "snap out of" my brain injury. :lol3

IMG_3471.JPG
    ACR, franko58, CowboyFatBob and 5 others like this.
  9. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Right now, my gardening project involves weeding, weeding, pruning, weeding and looking for the ground under the foliage.
    When the weeds are all taller than you, it's quite an adventure! Weed whacker didn't touch the stuff... a machete did a lot of the first pass, then lots of pulling and eventual tilling where I could.

Next step... drawing pictures! I'm going to need lots of crayons!
  10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Old Idiot who still rides

Oddometer:
    Revisiting this good post.....Thanx for coming back and letting us know .

Being physically active is the main thing , you're weeding and yard works are very good indeed .

I have a nasty neighbor who refuses to trim her tall bushy things that fill my back yard with debris so I bought an affordable long reach electric tree trimmer (extendable pole) and use it to easily trim her things to the top of my 8' fence....

Then of course I have to chop it all up and rake. load into my trash cans but it's good for me no matter how much it hurts .
    trc.rhubarb and Sunday Rider like this.
  11. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Uhoh, more food alert... turn away now.

My sister-in-law won a Traeger at a charity event on Saturday and they aren't allowed to even store any sort of BBQ at their condo... so it was gifted to me.
    Daughter and I put it together, went to the store for wood and provisions and gave it a try.

Regular, ordinary groceries were transformed into yum in only about 4 hours (she lost interest for a few hours in the middle)! Only an hour for the corn and mushrooms.

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3478.JPG

Why the hell did I not have one of these before? I've spent more than enough over the years on going out for BBQ to buy a few of these.

Oh and yeah... Medium well tri-tip. That's as pink as I can go but it still cut with a fork.

Daughter says "that's the best corn I've ever had!"

In other news, it looks like I won't have her at all during TG break. Her mom is taking her to Disneyland... It must be nice to be flush with cash! :D

3 weeks until my next neurologist and hopefully that will be the end of the court docs.
  12. nwbobber

nwbobber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Teach her to cook on it and she will be more interested, especially when the results are so freaking delicious. I have had a pellet smoker for a long time, last year finally had to retire the traeger, not before I had a replacement. Check out Aaron Franklins videos on Brisket and you will be seen as an expert by your friends. Also a lot of good info on Amazingribs.com. Good to hear you having some quality time, good food makes a good excuse for getting together.
    ACR and trc.rhubarb like this.
  13. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out!

She's into baking, so I need to get some cast iron stuff for that I think.
  14. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not familiar with what a Traeger is. But I can/ could assume. But you completely lost me with "went to the STORE for wood".
  15. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Glad you're getting out there TRC.

Did this 9 lb pork butt yesterday on the pellet pooper (Traeger). Fat side down to protect meat. Only seasoning was a meat rub (night before) and occasional apple juice spray. This is after 6 hrs at 225. Then put it in an aluminum pan and loosely cover with foil for another 6 hours. If you're looking, you aint cookin! Go for internal temp 202-207.
    butt.jpg

Final rendering.......BEST. BUTT. EVER.
    butt2.jpg
  16. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Haha, yeah. Even if it was cut wood, I'd have to go to the store or travel a long way to get some. This is the pellet stove version of a smoker/bbq. $20 for 20lbs @ 1-3lbs/hr. Expensive but worth it!

@BuckeyeDoug that looks amazing!
    Padilen likes this.
  17. kuchibashi

kuchibashi LLB Supporter

Oddometer:
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  18. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I did a 2 day bbq school several years ago and need to find my recipe's/lessons.
    Watching a lot of youtube but with my current memory issues I have to look at my notes every 5 minutes when I forget again. :lol3

I get the feeling this is going to be a very expensive free bbq
  19. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I buy my smoker pellets at local grocery store, Winco...$5 for 20# bag...much better price than overpriced Traeger brand and decent quality.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  20. nwbobber

nwbobber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I usually get the bear mountain pellets at cash and carry, around 10 bucks. Cherry is my favorite, with hickory coming in close second. They last a while for most things, while a 1/2 day smoke on a big roast takes a bit. Well worth it imho.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.