What the hell? or 70+mph bike vs Barbed Wire Fence (updated with bike pics)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by trc.rhubarb, Nov 22, 2016.

1. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Smoking a turkey takes a lot of time, but the result is worth it. Your guests will be in for a treat.

I have been keep up with this thread for about 3 years. I am sure it will be a memorable Thanksgiving. I admire you perseverance. Keep on keeping on!
    vwnate1 and trc.rhubarb like this.
  2. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Backup plan for now is that I'm going to Costco today and grabbing a bunch of tritips.
    I'd rather use different smoke with them, but we can try some fruitwood.

Now I just wish I had a mega size vs personal size Traeger. I'd cook the whole meal on it... including dessert.
  3. nwbobber

nwbobber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I doubt you'll need a backup. The turkey is going to be great. The smoker is a reliable tool. Tritips are great though, I'm just stuck on turkey for thanksgiving.
  4. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    So....how did the turkey turn out?
    trc.rhubarb, TheBritAbroad and SPX like this.
  5. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Turkey was awesome. I don't even like turkey and it was good. Others said "best turkey I've ever had!"
    I later reminded them that I'll do it again, so time to fess up. They stood by it.

Somehow, I failed to get a done shot but here is about 3 hours in through. Spatchcocked them so they would cook faster and keep more moist.
    Brined for 30 hours and cooked from 830am-230pm low and slow over apple, cherry and oak. Heck even gluten and dairy free to ensure my SIL would eat.

IMG_3550.JPG

Turkeys less the arms and legs.

Also the TriTip was a hit. My daughter, who missed TG because Disney had TG dinner 2 nights in a row after and she doesn't like turkey either but loved this.
    I need to learn to carve though. I can't seem to make nice clean slices. Of course, it's the first time I've tried to carve.

All in, it was a good day, even if it was without my daughter.

Spirits have been good lately, pain is manageable with the exception of my left arm. My brain is still out to lunch, but it no longer frustrates me so much.

Now the mad shopping rush! Giftcards may save the day!!!
  6. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Amazon is the shopping word of the day. QVC.com offers easy pays so your not out a lot of money at a time.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Old Idiot who still rides

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you had a nice thanksgiving .

We had a Cajun fried turkey this year, amazingly it wasn't greasy / oily one bit .

Sorry your daughter didn't make it, hopefully in the future .
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  8. nwbobber

nwbobber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best way I have found.... take a sharp knife, and cut just beside the breast bone straight down till you run into the rib cage, turn the knife a little and cut along the ribs until you separate the whole breast muscle from the bird. On a whole bird you have to take the wing and thigh off first. Set the boned breast on a board skin side up and start at the front cutting across the grain 1/2 inch slices. Keep it all tight together so it stays juicy and serve it that way.
  9. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I was trying to cut long ways, still on the carcass after removing the wishbone as I'd seen on some video. This makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the tip!
    vwnate1 likes this.
  10. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    New fun... about 15 months ago my Neuropsychologist at the time insisted I go on Welbutrin because, in his world, TBI is treated the same as depression.
    I've since learned that was the case in the 80's, but not today.
    I don't see him anymore and my PCP has decided to NOT refill my prescription.
    No notice, no weaning, just "NO"
    so here I am on day 3 of cold turkey and it's starting to suck...
    I'm a bit scared... I have my daughter tonight and I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't.
    Not because I feel I'm a danger to her or myself, but because I feel fucked in the head.

I seem to be in control, mostly, but it is a weird experience. I've read that it may get worse by tomorrow and then start getting better.
    4 days to metabolize out... so i guess I'm a bit past the point of easily backing up and it's all downhill from here... or something like that :norton

I can't say that I'm disappointed because I didn't want to be on these pills anyhow... I just hope it doesn't get too much worse.
    Maybe I'll end up posting weird crap here like before... I've been reading a bunch of the old stuff these last few days as @Uke tags it, and wow... I'm all over the place!
    vwnate1 likes this.
  11. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    This seems...stupidly irresponsible by your PCP. Virtually all literature says "don't stop wellbutrin cold-turkey (unless you're having other life-threatening reactions--like seizures)." Like I said to jvb, did your doc even bother to click on the link?

Your worst symptoms of withdrawal should be in the first week?, but it can last for 4 weeks or more sez me the interwebs expert :) It may be worth contacting your PCP and see if there's a withdrawal schedule you could go on. I don't know, seems like the PCP coulda done a better job with what, maybe 2 more minutes out of his/her day to think about your health.

An old friend of mine is convinced that thinking is a lost art...
  12. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm really not sure what the agenda here is but this doc won't be my PCP going forward. I keep reaching out but the doc won't even talk directly to me. Always through the office person.
    I documented it all in an email to the doc and will ensure I share with their health care system (JMH since you're local).

When this many docs, insurance companies and lawyers let me down... I have to wonder if maybe I'm the problem!
    Guessing that answer is a resounding "yes!" but they should anticipate that I'm a bit crazy. I've been telling them for long enough.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  13. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Honestly, it's not you. I won't bore you with my experiences with my health care providers, but it's the whole bell curve thing. Maybe 10% of the people you run across are good enough at their job to be considered competent. And the bigger the corporation, the more it gets filled up with people who are good at keeping their jobs, and not good at doing their jobs.

:)

My inner bah-humbug is showing, please excuse.
  14. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Being told to stop cold turkey is what happens when a PCP is in over their head prescribing psychiatric (in this case antidepressant) medications. (they also are probably overworked and have way too many patients to care for so they make more mistakes). As anyone specializing in mental health knows (therapists, psychiatrists, APRNs, etc.) it is not a good idea to stop antidepressants cold turkey for both physical and mental health reasons (except in a medical emergency). Thus when they are discontinued they ought to be tapered off. You will probably be fine though. Discontinuing Wellbutrin usually causes less of a problem than stopping SSRIs. But if you start to feel really crappy mentally or physically, you should of course seek medical attention (but don't ask me where the hell you might find decent medical attention.:becca)

See for reference: https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/going-off-antidepressants
  15. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Thanks @flei
    So far, the worst issue is that I've eaten everything but the kitchen itself. I don't feel too bad, a little like a hangover mixed with cold medicine.
    I finally got in touch, they said they wouldn't refill until I go have a office visit with them. Soonest they can see me is Jan 22!
    Good medical care... ha! I've had a couple dr's who have cared but even then... only one who cared AND turned out to be a good doc.

I know they are out there. I know that nobody becomes a doctor for the "fame and fortune" but something, likely insurance, takes their souls from them.
    vwnate1 and Emgo like this.
  16. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    IMO this is not good psychiatry; by 1/22 all of the Wellbutrin will be completely out of your system and you would have to restart it from scratch. If the doc thinks you don't need it why would they not just have renewed the script and made you an appt. asap to come in to discuss discontinuing it (even if that had to wait until 1/22), and if the doc and you decided to d/c it then you could have tapered it off (like you are supposed to do). Most likely side effect from going off it is increased depression, so pay attention to that and if it does hit, you could restart Wellbutrin or some other antidepressant.
  17. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Please, let us know how things are going. PM me if you need anything. :brow
  18. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I was told TBI is treated the same as depression, I might consider a second opinion.
  19. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Problem is that with the TBI, I have become overly trusting and quite gullible. The good doc I saw was pretty shocked and asked how old the shrink I was seeing was.
    The more tired I get, the more trusting I get. It's a strange thing and frustrating as well.

@flei @HardWorkingDog I have a doc that was willing to write me the scripts and see me in January when they are available. Hopefully I can pick them up tomorrow at CVS.
    Now I need to decide if I want to keep at the cold turkey, go back to full strength or do something in the middle.
    No depression yet, but it's still early days. The smart thing would be to go back to full then taper I think... but damn, I hate these pills!

Thanks for the support!
    vwnate1 and Rusty J like this.
  20. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I'm not a psychiatrist so not sure what to recommend regarding restarting after being off the Wellbutrin for 5 days. You should ask the prescriber what they recommend!

BTW, did i refer you in the past to the CrazyMeds website? https://crazymeds.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/

IMO it is the best place on the internet with the most accurate truthful information about psych meds. The site is run by Jared Poore who is a neuroatypical lay-person with mental illness and, IMO, a brilliant man (https://crazymeds.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Profiles/JerodPoore.html). He has done tons of research on these meds (including taking them himself and talking to many others who take them) and I think he has real perspective on how/if they really work, what are the real side effects, etc. etc. I have always found his info far more accurate (i.e., it aligns with what my patients report) than that published in psych journals (where researchers are funded by pharma!?!) or the drug companies (where often profit comes before people!?!). I don't stray too much into the forum area of CrazyMeds , as, although it is interesting to read user experiences, IMO that info is too anecdotal and individualistic. I tend to stick with Jared's summaries. Here's his take on Wellbutrin: https://crazymeds.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/Wellbutrin.html
    vwnate1, trc.rhubarb and Uke like this.