What the hell? or 70+mph bike vs Barbed Wire Fence (updated with bike pics)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by trc.rhubarb, Nov 22, 2016.

1. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Funny enough, SAD affected me more when I was riding... fully geared up and only got sun on the back of my neck.
    Now I get a lot of sun but wish I could be riding :)

I hope to be back with my Endo this summer, and PT and... but first, I need all this other crap behind me.
    I appreciate the info. I so far feel fine off the Bup but I'll keep watching.

I got a really shitty letter from Soon2bX's attorney today and I didn't even get mad (mildly upset but mostly amused)... so that's telling for me.

On the flip side... I ate a pizza last night.... not some pizza but A WHOLE LARGE PIZZA!!! so there's a bad sign.
    I can't wait for it to warm up. I have no tolerance for cold now because of my hands and feet... some form nerve issue from the crash. By cold I mean less than 60* F. California cold :lol3

Sounds like you have a heck of a job dealing with meds. I'm glad I don't have to do that, I don't currently have the focus to do so.

Court tomorrow to continue the fight with insurance to have coverage... yay!

That book sounds interesting, I'll check it out.
    This is what I get when searching amazon... doh!
    upload_2020-1-27_18-53-5.png
  2. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    The Terry Bisson. Dunno what else he has written but that short story is a famous one and won all the big SF awards.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  3. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Rhubarb, I read the article linked below and it reminded me of the problems you have described for yourself. The writer suffered TBI from exposure to explosive attacks in Afghanistan. It took a long time but eventually doctors figured out that his pituitary gland was damaged and was not producing enough HGH. Since he's been under treatment for that he has improved dramatically. I don't recall seeing anything about this when I read through this thread so maybe there is something to consider here.

Link
    Sunday Rider, flei and trc.rhubarb like this.
  4. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Wow. I clicked on that link. Thanks for sharing it, the writer has shared some deep truths, simply and well.

not fade away

Indeed.
    Sunday Rider and trc.rhubarb like this.
  5. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    A lot of that I have... I did have hormones checked about 2 years ago at someone's suggestion here. They were "normalish" but i'll do that again. Thank you.
    Thank you for sharing that.

This rings very true:

Emgo likes this.
  6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I think I suggested getting your hormones checked. I was familiar with the impact of TBI on TSH and other hormones. You might want to get out your old lab results and look them over, and new testing would be good too as these levels can change over time. Here's an article on TBI and hormones: https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/98/3/27A/2536485
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  7. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Flei, that I can and will do.
    flei likes this.
  8. sphyrnidus

sphyrnidus born to ride

Oddometer:
    I just visited this thread and read about the hormone testing:
    Just to make a side note as a retired physician: When testing for HGH deficiency: a measurement of the level in the blood doesn’t suffice. What is adviced is a stimulation test. Which means you get something injected that stimulates the GH production and then at certain time intervals a blood sample is taken to see if it goes up (enough). So I advice to see an endocrinologist. Hope it works out for you.
    flei and HardWorkingDog like this.
  9. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. Guess it's time to go see my endo... I've been putting it off for a while.
    flei likes this.
  10. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I read the first couple of pages, then the last couple of pages. Then I realized that there was quite a bit that I missed in between, and read it all. What a fucking ride! Your highs had me cheering for you, and your lows have been gut wrenching to read.

Navigating the healthcare system is beyond infuriating, as I have been learning myself with my first real health issues in my adult life. At about half your age I can't pretend to relate to most of what you are going through, but the ineptitude in our healthcare system is truly astounding. As low as you have felt, I am sure you have handled all these hurdles better than many others would. You are one BAMF.

Are you still experiencing migraines? I have learned a decent bit about them through a clinic run by a Kaiser neuro-doctor of some sort, maybe you can find something similar through your insurance. I found it to be very beneficial, the knowledge has helped manage mine, which has been life altering for me because I lose most of my vision when they come on.

Have you spoken to your doctor about your weight gain? My understanding is that it isn't uncommon with some anti anxiety and anti depressant meds. I have a family member that started anti anxiety meds and blew up pretty quick, with no warning from his doctor that it was likely to happen. Maybe your prescribing doctor can refer you to someone to help address it if they don't know how to help and can pull their head out of their ass for long enough to acknowledge that they don't know the answer to something.

If CBD is of any interest to you, this is a great product to dip your toe into CBD because it is a very small dosage (2.5 mg). It will NOT get you stoned, and you can really fine tune your dosage as you learn how it affects you. They're mints, so they even taste good and are a fairly discreet product. If it is something you are interested in trying, I can make some calls and find somewhere near you that carries it.
    https://kivaconfections.com/products/petra/citrus

I'm relieved to see that things seem to be on the upswing for you after a painful few years. You appear to have many people rooting for you, myself included.

Oh, and you should definitely write a book about your experiences. Maybe not right now, but it is definitely a story worthy of sharing more widely than on an internet forum- even one as great as ADVrider.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  11. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Migraines are mostly under control, but not through any of my doing. They just sort of mellowed out.
    I've tried a couple CBD options recently but so far, I don't notice a lot of difference. Tried the old fashioned way a couple of times but that didn't help either.

I'm doing ok right now... can't seem to stop eating but things are reaching the summit in my divorce and stress levels are very high. Hopefully after that, I'll have better control.
    I've got what I believe to be my final court mandated visit with the good docs in about a month and then I can see them on my own, which should get me more treatment and on a path to wellness.

Still hoping I can get on a bike in April, maybe not on the street but at least on a bike.

It's good to hear that you found help for your migraines. They are such a medical oddity and so debilitating, I can imagine your frustration.
    rokon140 and DCrider like this.
  12. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    trc, keep at it man, glad to hear you seem to continue to be handling things pretty well, hope soon things really start to brighten up for you.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.