What the hell? or 70+mph bike vs Barbed Wire Fence (updated with bike pics)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by trc.rhubarb, Nov 22, 2016.

1. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Maybe it was an owl, but despite their size, owls are not very heavy. the great horned owl is the largest of the ones the op mentioned, and in Calif. an average full grown female would weigh less than 3lbs. (link: http://www.internationalowlcenter.o...98-background-info/144-great-horned-owl-facts). While 3lbs might well ring your bell at 70mph, i don't think your gonna find owl feathers scattered around the crash site.
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should add a GoPro to the list of post-crash gear needed...

Then we'll be able to KNOW what happened next time you have an amazing walk-away-from-with-partial-amnesia crash!

:evil

:lol3
  3. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! GoPro for sure is on the futures list. Or the permanent mount ones like the C2 Innova.
    I'm not sure we will ever know but I'll share everything I find out with you guys here.
    If nothing more, maybe it will help someone else in the future.
    Chaostrophy, Macho Man2 and 10K like this.
  4. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think a 3 pound projectile hitting you at 75 MPH is still going to have some serious force behind it. It destroyed the front end of my truck and that's a lot heftier than a BMW 1200GS. I am not a physicist (I'm a geologist, we love rocks not math :D) but I did find a cool calculator on the Inernet:

http://www.1728.org/energy.htm

It says a 3 pound owl hitting at 75 MPH would have an impact force of 564 foot pounds; that's enough to cause some damage as witnessed by my dead truck. I got dive bombed by a big old turkey one day while riding my WR250R through the woods; that thing was frigging YUGE and no doubt would have knocked me off the road if it had connected. If you hit a 150 pound deer it's up to 28,206 foot pounds :eekers; no wonder that hurts so much!

Anyway, my theory is it doesn't take much to derail your train if you are caught unawares and something as small as a large bird may have had something to do with it. I think that's more plausible than the front axle breaking; those things are ridiculously tough.
    Macho Man2 and Bill Harris like this.
  5. FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's not forget Benjamin Franklin's favorite bird, the turkey....[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't say or speculate on what caused the accident, but I am pretty sure that flying off the road at 70 mph and hitting the ground will snap off a fork leg and break an axle. The bike probably nose dived, hit and flipped end over end a time or two, ejecting TRC. You can tell by the bent rear rack and broken rear fender. It doesn't take much, a piece of road debris kicked up by a car, or a suicidal squirrel jumping into your face, and you are off the road and airborne.

Seems TRC is doing pretty good considering! :thumb
  7. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Just like in Aviation. Figure out why it happened with the hope that it can be prevented next time. Of course, sometimes stuff just happens. In a way, motorcycling is quite like flight.
    Macho Man2, Schlug and gymply like this.
  8. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    So this little guy (decomposing deer or goat) was 150' before where my wife saw them loading the bike on the truck. Sorry I didn't get closer but I didn't want to get up next to the freeway.
    Not empirical but something...
    Couldn't find any of my stuff or any other evidence. I walked the entire field, and all the surrounding fields just to be sure I wasn't in the wrong spot.
    It's as if it never happened. Pretty sure the tow yard picked up my 'debris' even though they claim differently.

**Edit** also down barbedwire fences here. It doesn't align with CHP dispatch coordinates which make no sense now that I've gone there. No way I jumped 2 k-rails and walked away.

Went to the hospital today for my followup. Nobody knew why I was there. Took my stitches out and said "see ya!" At least they didn't bill me for it. Was about 45m each way and my back is not amuzed :lol3

Attached Files:

Foiler, Chaostrophy and Macho Man2 like this.
  9. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    My money's on the deer.

Not sure what you're saying about the barbed wire fence/K-rails.

Are the medical people concerned about your concussion? You haven't talked much about that...any follow up regarding that injury?
    Foiler likes this.
  10. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    So I went through barbed wire, we know that for sure. I focused my search on the areas where fence was down and recently. This deer is close to where my wife saw the towtruck with my bike and the barbed wire fence was down close by as well as a 2nd fence on the other side of the short field... then a small access road and a large field with no fence.

Where the CHP dispatch coordinates show (image a few pages back) is K-rail vs barbed wire. So I think that's off a bit.

What I just thought about though is that I never remembered navigating barbed wire when with the Fire Dept. They (a man on each side of me) helped me walk out and we just crested a small hill and were at the truck. That also aligns because the field in the picture has no fence but the field between it and the freeway has a fence on either side of it that I would have had to go through. Both of those fences were down.

After the Contrast CT, it was determined I wasn't concussed but instead had traumatic amnesia?? I was hopeful that returning to the scene would bring back memories but nothing whatsoever other than every time I saw a bike I got a bit nervous.

Still, my head isn't right, but that might be the pills.

On another front, I just got off the phone a few minutes ago and on Monday I'll be putting down a deposit on a new 2016 RED R1200GSA that I'll hopefully pick up just after Christmas. Just have a few minor details to work out. If I'm capable of riding it by then that is. I'll put on a kidney belt, heated jacket and the ESA on Caddy mode if I need to! I can't stand being at home anymore and need to get out there!
    Foiler, hbn7hj, Chaostrophy and 6 others like this.
  11. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Wow. Thanks for sharing all this. I don't live too far from you, sounds like you've got plenty of support but PM me if I can do anything to help. Be happy to ride that new GSA home for you if you're just not feeling up to it. :)

I don't know a lot about traumatic brain injury, but I thought post-traumatic amnesia is one of the marker symptoms of a concussion--and they are both a result of traumatic brain injury. I hope this injury is being cared for too!
    Foiler likes this.
  12. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    You know what, you make a lot of sense in that. I'll get an appointment set up with my Dr on Monday and will be following up with the Neurosurgeon as well.
    I just let it drop that it was normal and not an issue but it really should be looked at.

Thanks for the offer! I appreciate it.
    Foiler likes this.
  13. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son spent ~10 years working for a university flight school teaching other young pilots. One of his basic comments was "If you're doing something and it all goes wrong, STOP DOING THAT THING!". Getting the new pilots to recognize/remember the thing or series of things they'd done that started the "bad thing" event was the hard part.

I wouldn't be surprised if TRC hit that deer and had no recollection of it. Those damned things can run pretty fast, and if it was coming at a high angle to the bike's line of travel it may never have shown up in the field of the bike's lights no matter how good they are - they point mostly forward, not to the side. I had a big mule deer crash into the side of my truck one day (full daylight) while driving ~50 mph down the highway and the first I saw of him was when his face was about a foot from my window and his antlers hit my rear view mirror. I remember screaming like a little girl :D. He came at me from the side at a full run for some reason; he would definitely have knocked my ass over if I'd been on a bike.

TRC, you are one lucky dude that there were no trees, rocks, cliffs, telephone poles, mailboxes, parked cars, etc. or I suspect things would not have worked out so well! One or two barbed wire fences are bad enough, but holy shit you could have been in a MUCH worse place to fly off the road!

After the Contrast CT, it was determined I wasn't concussed but instead had traumatic amnesia??

Many years ago my girlfriend's mom was in a building having lunch with a friend when the roof suddenly collapsed due to extreme winds. She and the friend dove under the table and weren't hit by any debris, but she was so traumatized by the experience that she lost her vision! It slowly came back over the next few weeks and she never had any long-term problems. The brain does some strange things when traumatized...

AWESOME that you've already got a new bike on the way!!!! Good for you, get back on that horse and RIDE!
  14. PT Rider

PT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you get the chance, take a close look at that Shinko front tire.

Some insurance companies have protective gear in their own category and depreciated every year. Safeco was that way (don't know about now) with 10% depreciation each year for ten years. As you state, (1) understand what's covered, (2) be sure the coverage is adequate, or at least understand the shortfall.
    Chaostrophy and Psiequalsone like this.
  15. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    The front wheel is gone. It's not with the bike, not with the tow yard, CHP or in the field.
    Oddly, I ran into a guy while I suffered through a great Christmas/White Elephant party last night who just transferred out of the local FD that had helped me.
    He says accidents happen out there a lot and are often caused by wildlife and distracted driving. He also says that the landowners patrol via horseback every couple of days and may have collected my stuff.
    Apparently they do that often and will hold it for the former owners. So he's going to see if he can get me the contact info for them. It may not be over yet.
  16. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Wow.

Testament to your kit, and good on those suppliers for giving you big discounts. Least you can do is send them any of your items for damage assessment and post crash engineering analysis.

Keep healing compadre.
    Foiler and Macho Man2 like this.
  17. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I will offer, good idea. Nobody asked for them but I will be sure to extend that.

Thank you for the well wishes!
  18. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Just reread your thread and looked at the bike pics, you certainly know how to get your moneys worth out of a crash, there is bugger all salvageable, well done!

Amazing the difference circumstances can make, I lost the front of the R100GS (it's around here somewhere , I'm sure..) at around your speed on a country road last fall and all I got was a blood blister on my index finger and a scraped through rocker cover, try and park more carefully in the future.. :muutt

Hope your feeling better and getting out and about some more. :ricky:ricky
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  19. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    This time of year...the geese have returned to that stretch of 680. They get out and about in pre-dawn light.

Really rare to see a deer on the freeway. That's rangeland all through there (on the east side) and the ranchers keep those fences in repair.

But...to veer and then maintain a new direction of travel long enough to carry far off the highway....

My bet is on an animal strike or a flat front tire. All that front end carnage happened after you veered, traveled and then pole-axed into the soft ground.
  20. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys both for the info and the well wishes.
    I was able to salvage some parts today and will put some up in the FM once I make sure they are functional still.

Interesting things I noticed:
    • The left fork leg swage broke, just like the hoopla about the ne w GSAs. See picture below
    • The right fork, where we could see the axle broken off in the previous pictures, was missing. I'm not sure where it went or why it left this 'secure' area but it's gone.
    Damn near killed myself today and I hardly did any of the disassembly.
    No word on the land owners yet, so my guess is that's a lost cause.

Finding that dead deer had me wondering but insurance doesn't believe it and still wants to assign me 100% fault. I'm not saying it wasn't my fault, i'm saying I don't know and it seems unlikely that I'd just ride off the freeway at speed for the heck of it. No medical issues reported, no road issues found... dead deer was found. So, I might be stuck with this on my driving/insurance record which sucks but oh well. Again, here I am able to complain! It could have been much worse.
    20161206_180941161_iOS.jpg 20161206_180943963_iOS.jpg
    Foiler and Macho Man2 like this.