What to buy a BMW in Southeast Asia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Reelickj, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Reelickj

Reelickj Aragon

Oddometer:
    Hello, I will be in Vietnam November 15. Will be staying for 6 months. Would like to buy a BMW. Will travel to surrounding countries. Any ideas welcome . Thanks. :norton
  2. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Forget buying and just rent. MUCH easier to do in this area.
    However this is a legit place in BKK to pick one up ( NOT CHEAP) They list an F650 GS for $22,830.90 USD.

http://www.barcelona.co.th/motorcycles/

Canoli
  3. KTMInduro

KTMInduro Off Road Montster Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. yempaul

yempaul Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. KTMInduro

KTMInduro Off Road Montster Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. deaninkl

deaninkl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reelickj,

You can buy BMW's in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. But you can not take big bikes into Vietnam. Most of SE Asia is ok to travel by big bike (above 200cc) but not Vietnam, they don'tr let you enter.
  7. Reelickj

Reelickj Aragon

Oddometer:
    Yup, it is true! I am living in Da Lat and the roar of thunder is here. Yesterday saw some very interesting trikes. All sorts of big displacement roaming around. Have not seen any BMW GS's, which would be perfect for these roads. There are rice burners and they abound. From what I understand, for $600 you can get between one and five bikes across the border at one time. To live here you need to get a A2 licenses which can be obtained by joining a sport bike club in one of the major cities. Vietnam is a beautiful country and the riding is great. Now I am riding a Yahama scooter that I rent for $2.50 a day with my room that cost $7.50 a day. $10 a day for R and R (room and ride) :clap
  8. deaninkl

deaninkl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reelickj,

Good information. Great to here that another wall has fallen and bike are available. I know that in Hi Chi Min you can get Chinese made Chang Jiangs.....but I don't recomend them. I also know that Harleys have been in Vietnam a while but they were basically illegal..and everybody had a different story of how they got them in and what they pay to keep them there. Good luck.