1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do/eat on our trip?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by hh6designs, Jul 9, 2018.

1. hh6designs

hh6designs n00b

Oddometer:
    So my husband and I are planning our second annual cross country trip. This year we are going to Muskoka, Canada via Michigan from Tennessee, the back to Tennessee through Vermont. I was in Michigan once as a small child. We want to know what are the Must-dos/Must-eats while riding through MI. We also hope to do some off-road riding while in the UP. Any recommendations?

Anything special we should do and see in Vermont?
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  3. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    Can't help with Michigan, heading there myself for the first time in sept! Vermont is great, the northeastern corner is less crowded, but the entire state is full of interesting roads, charming towns, great little general stores, and fantastic breweries. rt 100 cuts right through the middle north to south, and most of the roads running east and west that intersect it go over the mountains and offer twists and views.
    hh6designs and kantuckid like this.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    We just got back from VT (followup from a Quebec fishing trip) and have been there several times over a 40 plus years period. I like the SE quadrant less than the other parts. It's not bad just less interesting. The area adjacent to Lake Champlain in both NY and VT is very interesting with great views. The central Green Mtns area is also great & best seen as said above via east/west roads climbing into them. get a VT state map at info center and you'll see a list of touristy stuff-some you might like. NH is a bit less yuppyfied than VT. Take the road less traveled in both states and you'll be happy. Food I'd do what the locals are doing in VT. Seems to be two general groups of people in VT- displaced big city transplants and the ones that were there all along-not to judge, mind you. You'll find the "real Vermonters" milking cows, logging, making syrup or cheese, serving you food or owning the campground, etc..
    I chased some syrup there and got to meet some very nice longtime Vermonter's out on the farm.
    I liked sampling many cheeses @ the Cabot place! Vermont Country Store is very pricey but also entertaining and more so a girly place overall but one can sample lots of stuff.
    Gasoline's high in all areas mentioned except maybe MI which I have not been in lately. In Canada you might consider going over to the Quebec City area and also along the river there. Especially if you've never been to Europe, you'll find the historical city center and museums fantastic. French as French can be and w/o the big city traffic,etc., of Montreal. Ride the river island there near Quebec City.
    The bugs are waiting for you to get there, enjoy!
    hh6designs likes this.
  5. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course Cannonshot beat me to it, but don't miss M119 in northern lower Michigan. Good eats at Legs Inn along that road, though a bit pricey. And while it is out of the way, some great roads up in the Keweenaw peninsula getting up to Copper Harbor if you had time.

And my take on M119

hh6designs likes this.
  6. hh6designs

hh6designs n00b

Oddometer:
  7. hh6designs

hh6designs n00b

Oddometer:
    I appreciate that! Thank you!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  8. hh6designs

hh6designs n00b

Oddometer:
    Beautiful!
  9. hh6designs

hh6designs n00b

Oddometer:
    Go
    Good info! Thank you!
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't mean this as a negative comment-AT ALL, but gotta be realistic-the Tunnel of trees is like every road where I live in that it's rural and all trees on the edges, much of eastern USA forested areas are like that, in fact?
    I'll add that MI is indeed a very beautiful state, just not sure I get the Tunnel thing?
    hh6designs likes this.
  11. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think the tunnel nor the trees are the big draw. The views of the lake between the trees from a high bluff is worth quite a bit. And since tight and twisty roads aren't the norm around MI, it makes M119 stand out even more.
    hh6designs likes this.