What to do in Houston (The Woodlands) in late May?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Yooper_Bob, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Hey y'all....from a Yankee in 'da frozen north!

Memorial Day weekend I am going to be visiting a buddy who recently moved to Houston (specifically, The Woodlands).

We need something to fill the Friday before Memorial Day weekend...what do you recommend?

- Any places to rent dual sport bikes?

- Any good swimming holes or water parks (some place to take 'da wife and kidlets along)?

- Any good day hike areas (or will it be too hot)?

- Charter boat fishing in Galveston bay?

I don't want to visit the city....I'm a country boy.

Thanks!
  2. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Ummmm, I would head East and go to New Orleans!
  3. urbanXJ

urbanXJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Planty of thigs in the Houston area. Do you need to stick to the woodlands only?
  4. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Head west to the Hill Country. Just curious, is there anybody still living in Michigan as I sure see alot of plates from there in my state.
  5. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    My buddy lives in The Woodlands....so most likely looking for something to do on the north side of Houston.

We are just looking for something interesting/fun to do on Friday...what's the "must do" thing in that area?

P.S. fortunately, I live in 'da UP of Michigan...no where near that wasteland called Detroit!
  6. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plenty of what you are asking in the Nat. Forest on 149.
    Have never seen a dirt bike rental round here.
    There is a water park at FM2920 and I45.
    There is Galveston but still pretty beat up from Ike.
    In Galveston there is an airplane mus. at the airport and there is Seawolf park.
    There's the Boardwalk and the Space Center down I45 south.
    And dont forget the Battle Ship Texas out east off 225.
    It will be hot, very hot.
    Here's a link to where to find salt water fishing guides:
    http://texassaltwaterfishingmagazine.com/
    PM me and I will give you contact info in case you need directions or have a break down while your here.
  7. Mr. Disaster

Mr. Disaster Professional Gypsy

Oddometer:
    Sweat.....:dunno
  8. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:

Yeah....I'm gonna be a soaking wet mess...we still have snow on the ground here! My blood is gonna be way too thick to handle that kind of heat....tell me more about the water park...
  9. tehsKater86

tehsKater86 Godspeed

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure how far you want to travel, but there is a Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels (south of Austin). There may be one towards Houston too but I'm not too sure.

Edit: There's one in Galveston too. Looks like a lot of fun! http://www.schlitterbahn.com/

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/
    This site may have some particular things going on for Memorial Day weekend.

http://www.discoverourtown.com/TX/Baytown/Attractions/32152.html
    Battleship Texas is an old retired WW1 battleship that's set up for tours in Baytown TX. Good for some educational type fun if your kids like there. Near there is also the San Jacinto memorial tower and you can take an elevator all the way up to the top.
  10. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Correction: The Battleship Texas served in BOTH world wars. It is one of the Dreadnought class of battleships and sister to the Arizona, Nev., West Vriginia, etc. It was originally fitted with 10" guns. After the first world war it was refitted with 14" guns made by Browning. At this time it was converted to fuel oil as well. These guns were at D Day and Iwo Jima. It was the first ship to launch an airplane and to have radar. When it was slated to be scrapped the citizens of Texas rased the money to buy the ship and it is moored close to where the ship channel enters the Galveston Bay. This is the sight of the San Jacanito battle field. By the 80's the ship was in bad shape as it had been sitting in mud for many years. The Texas Parks commision took it over and it was towed, with many pumps keeping it afloat, to the ship yard in Galveston for dry dock. The origianl overhaul plan called for power to be added so the ship could be used in commeritive events such as 4h of July celabrations. But the hull needed so much work and the new mooring system cost so much that this idea fell by the wayside. Since dry dock volenteers have steadely worked on the ship opening up more and more of it to the public. This is a great palce to take the kids and they will have a blast running all over the ship.

Sorry to run on, I used to go there often with my Dad. Getting sort of sentimental I guess.

I was lucky to get to see the ship in dry dock while on a fishing trip. WOW, the part of the ship above water is BIG. But there is twice that much below water. Plans now are to move the ship to Galveston. But not till 2011.

Here she is, BB35:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  11. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
  12. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have heard the UP is very cool. Need to ride up there sometime and check it out. I spend a month in summer in Northern MN. at Grand Marais and I have heard they are similar and both nice areas. Enjoy your Texas ride.
  13. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys....sounds like a water park may be the best bet.

Unfortunately, 'da wife, kidlet, and myself are flying down, not riding. Just a quick visit for the long weekend.

If any of you guys get waaaaaay up north to 'da UP, I'll be glad to act as tour guide on some rides thru 'da woods!
  14. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer. I would like to go there sometime.
    But I have heard there is problem with incest in the UP?
    Any truth to that?
  15. Yooper_Bob

Oddometer:
    Nah...the incest's are only bad in for a couple of months in 'da summer....'da rest of 'da time its too cold for 'em! :D
  16. ktmdude415

ktmdude415 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you head out I-45 to exit 1488 you can go to a place call Three Palms Extreme park or something like that. It's a motocross track well tracks theres 4 or 5 different tracks out there now. Anyways they are have a race out there that weekend. That might be fun to go to. Its dealer race so it should be pretty big.
  17. Hot Dog Stu

Hot Dog Stu Known Egger

Oddometer:
    The Woodlands is poor, as far as doing anything, just a giant conglomerate of corporate sub-divisions.

For a little fun fishing out in the Gulf, try the New Buccaneer.

http://www.galvestonpartyboatsinc.com/pricing.html

Lots of swimming holes out in east Texas, need a local to chime in here, for that data.

I think you could go rent a Uly at the HD dealerships.......

Here they have all kinds of MC's to rent.

http://www.eaglerider.com/
  18. Burbo

Burbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, stay at "The Woodlands Resort" has a big resort type pool for the kids. Plenty of milfs to check out too.Rent some golf clubs, get the pro to put you with a group and play a great golf course. The weather usually cannot be better at that time. I have some buds that do a lot of dual sport riding down there. They do not know of any places to rent a bike llike that. I spend fathers day the Woodlands Resort every time I can. If you do not want to do the outdoor thing, wait untill about 9:30 am and go south on I45 to the Houston Space Center, pretty impressive especially if you have a young astronaut fan in the family. It s maybe 45 miles. Just a reminder, the traffic will be a BITCH late in the day since everyone leaves Houston at 3:00 on Friday before a holiday.
  19. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    "What does one do in Houston in late May?"

Sweat. :deal