What to do with a GasGas 280 TXT when parts aren't available??

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Zuber, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a nice 280 TXT (not a pro) that is in great shape. BUT, the ignition went out and this Italian ignition is not available. Part it? Put in another engine? Is there another solution?
  2. Have you talked to Jim Snell? He can probably tell you in about 5 seconds what the verdict will be...
    DyrWolf likes this.
  3. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it is the coils, rewind them. If it is the cdi, you can make a new cdi yourself, it is a simple circuit, test it, then pot it if you want. The info to do this is out there on the internet, Thinking it may be here.

Would trouble shoot what you have to make sure first.
  4. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talked to Jim, LewisPort and the new importer.
    Both the bottom and coil are fubar.
    I thought about making it a battery ignition using a points eliminator like a Perlux?, but that's a lot of work.
  6. Meh. I'd just part it out unless you're really attached to it for some reason.
  7. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    Not many trials bikes get parted out, I imagine the parts would go quick. I was lucky enough to get a set of wheels a couple years ago.
  8. alpineboard

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you mean by "bottom".
    If you make a circuit diagram of what is connected to what and which direction the wraps are going, you need to duplicate this, as well as the cdi unit. If the coils are not potted, you can unwrap them and count, if not , you going to have to make an educated guess.
    Then you can unwrap and count the # of wraps per coil. When wrapping the new one , do not twist the coil wire as you wrap. This could be tricky, and may take a second person to hold the coil wire spool on a pencil and flip it with each wind rotation.
    They are either being wound in place on the stator , or wound on another implement and slid on the stator. No damage to the coil wire and its insulation can take place. This is pretty tricky stuff and takes plenty of planning, know you have a good plan, and then do it correctly, with a ton of patience.
    Used to wind coils and install on stators of many sizes from 3, 4 , 5 inch down to 1/2" stators(43 gauge coil wire) , and glue the plates together for stators, for Bourdon tube transducers, at a Mom and Pop shop, who had a really good contract with the Navy for decades.
    And for the CDI , it is not a complicated circuit at all, there are plenty of people who make their own and show you how, all over youtube.
    I would assume, that there are plenty of youtubes on " do it yourself coil winding" as well. So you can approach this task with more knowledge and comfort. Just remember that not every one knows what they are doing on youtube. Use a filter. But you can learn something from everyone.
  9. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you try GG Pacific in Canada they were the Canadian importer and have a pretty good parts inventory.
  10. motodojo

motodojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The stator is potted and the coil to power the fan went out first, then the coil went out. The coil has the electronics in it and it's potted. This is not the Ducati, it's a rare two year itialian model. There is one Kokuson ignition available, but not the flywheel. Can't see spending about $1000 on an ignition system.

Edit: it's a Lionelli, sounds eyetalian, but it's Spanish.

Your tips got me looking for ignition kits. These guys look good>
    http://www.model-engine-ignition.com/home
    No timing advance, but I'm not sure it would matter much for a trials bike.
  12. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Jim, I for one am grateful that someone with your knowledge and experience with GasGas and the sport of trials in general has decided to join our little forum here on ADV (along with LowPSI and many others)! And the fact that you really try to answer everyone's questions and help with all the issues on here and spend the time to explain everything in detail is just a huge plus to this site. Thanks for spending the time to do this!! :thumb
    DyrWolf, Beatprojim, LemmeTry and 8 others like this.
  13. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the history lesson Jim. That was interesting. Thanks for your efforts to keep these bikes alive.

I like this bike a lot for difficult trail riding because of the full 6 gears and full size clutch. I also have a JTX 200 for trials. I would really cry if parts availability stopped it.
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I'm beginning to dislike my GG again...
    DyrWolf and motobene like this.
  15. alpineboard

Oddometer:
    Not having seen the potted coil/electronics combo, what is preventing carefully removing potted electronics and coil wire wraps, and get down to the plates of the stator bare bones. Then wrap said stator, and create an external cdi. This would work if the problem was the cdi or the windings, but if the problem was the plates in the stator/ insulation, this would be a no go. And realize that while doing this removal , not to damage the stator /plates count number.
  16. alpineboard

Oddometer:
    The thought did occur. Just another quick thought, if it were to be a bad stator, it may be possible to split the stator plates apart and re glue them together, what happens though, is you end up bending each plate weirdo shape after to work with. Or use heat to get them apart. It also depends on how well the plates were put together to begin with. Or , it may be possible to make new plates. CNC style, I have the cad cam to g code ability, just would be interesting to cut sheet steel on my cnc router table. It might work, seeing that it is thin steel and do multiple passes, but thinking that there is a specific temper to the steel , to be done after, to make the stator more expansion/contraction stable throughout a heat range. Blow torch and a bucket of water...? Could investigate more, of what really happens out there. Thinking in the real world the plates are stamped out rapid fire.
    All this could be done, but to make the end result have a long life span may be the bigger question. Another option would be to farm the plate part of the job to a small one shot mom/pop shop, just for the cutting.
  17. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it is the stator coils being shorted that you are speaking of, those can be repaired with rewinding. If it is the combo coil and ignition advance box, that may be a slighter bigger hurdle without have a circuit diagram of that box. Unless the diagram I found for the Lionelli system is different than what is on your machine.

[​IMG]
    Norman Foley likes this.
  18. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Ok, so maybe I'll keep my GG for awhile. All I know is you're supposed to kick down on that lever to make it run, if it doesn't start, then I have to take it to someone who knows how to make it work.
    Buschog likes this.
  19. gasgasman

gasgasman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the update jim
  20. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer: