What to do with two days off and too clean of a bike?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by flying.moto, Aug 15, 2019.

1. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go ride of course! :ricky

So there I was.. looking at the work calendar at 7 in the morning... seeing that chances are low, and bike has been surprisingly clean lately... open basecamp, plot a rough course of some potential new discoveries and off we go!

[​IMG]

Late start you say... i know, the sun is way more up than i wanted it by the time i got up the hills...

But hey, beats siting around! Good old trails look very promising :pynd

[​IMG]

A day before this ride, i flew over this hill with one of my clients/friends in his small airplane, and spotted something from memories far away...

[​IMG]

Lake is in sight. It should be just around the corner now!

[​IMG]

It's been a while since I've been to the cross! Little photo op and fond memories excavation, trails called. :ricky

[​IMG]

This small system connects to Rowher Flats OHV riding park, but sure makes it more fun way to either transit or enter the park! :smile6

The next goal was to find a new way onto an old forgotten trail i suddenly remembered.

[​IMG]

So far so good..... then! :p3rry

[​IMG]

That rutty hillclimb is much steeper than it looks... got quite a bit up it before bending my dashboard mounting... of all the things. :doh

lets find another way up there....

[​IMG]

So i ran around... and around... found some locked gates and missing turns... screw it. Next time with more satellite recon! Off to the cooler elevations! :ricky

[​IMG]

Elevations cool enough for a Yeti! :lol3

[​IMG]

But the sun was racing down, and it was time to find a place to pitch a tent, or something like that.

[​IMG]

Awesome mountain sunset - located! See y'all in the day 2! :beer

[​IMG]

Stay tuned!
  2. UselessOnABike

UselessOnABike Chris McCartney

Oddometer:
    Northern Ireland. Past: Australia, & New Zealand
    That looks amazing fun! Where is that? Assuming New Mexico or somewhere southern? Looks an awful lot like the Andalusia region in southern Spain (known for the Spaghetti Western movie filming locations). Also, forgive the rookie question, but what kind of bike is that? Looks like a Husky?

100_0242.JPG

This pic was from the road into the Sierra Nevada national park in Andalusia, Spain. A Fistful of Dollars, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, and For A Few Dollars More are just a few filmed in those hills. See the similarities?
    flying.moto likes this.
  3. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Yeah!

Looks a bit more developed! My little outing is one of the very few good riding areas immediately east of Los(t) Angeles, CA. funny, just a bit north and the range we have is also called "Sierra Nevada" :lol3

Mine is a BMW G650X Challenge. Modified from every end. A lot of Husky owners put on a similar fairing, originally designed by Britannia Composites, on their bikes... and well... the color scheme. I got a build thread on here and you can see what it looked like stock. I am heavily inspired in my build by Walter Colebatch and his Sibirsky Extreme project... so there you have it! :pynd
  4. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Day 2!

It began on rounding the Big Bear Lake, CA, all the way around north to the east and south. I have discovered some tacky tracks there in the past...

[​IMG]

And this time wanted to explore the south areas... so on with the pics! :ricky

[​IMG]

Some roads taken were less tacky though...

[​IMG]

And the led me to the places long ago visited...

[​IMG]

And creeks long ago crossed!

[​IMG]

The search continued for the alternate routes over the mountain. Gotta look for something new to ride, right?

[​IMG]

That turn off to the T6 Crossing, that is where I ended up last time i was up here... the following few miles made me attempt magnesium welding :bmwrider

So let's go to "Devils Hole" as my map shows it connecting to the other side parallel to the T6 Crossing! :pynd

[​IMG]

Excellent riding down to The Hole! :ricky

But then it comes to an end, the trail does exist, but it's a really goaty single track, more suited for a 300 EXC.... mmmm.... i guess it's back to the T6!

[​IMG]

The crossing, just as I remember it! Just past the bridge, the rock garden begins!

[​IMG]

Got it! :jack

[​IMG]

Or so I thought! A mile later though...

The real rock garden begins... and my bike decides to look closer at the track to be sure we are on the correct line :rofl

[​IMG]

A little break in the shade and...

[​IMG]

Pure bliss past the connector trail! :ricky

[​IMG]

Scenery does not disappoint one bit! :happay

[​IMG]

Not a soul in sight! Bliss!

[​IMG]

Then, suddenly a patch of Red Forest appears! I hear it's some sort of large bird droppings :norton

[​IMG]

But, let it be, and off to mine some gold!

[​IMG]

Imagine living here in the 1860, packing up your grass-powered mule and heading out to the hills with a pickaxe. Excitement! :photog
    AZ Mark likes this.
  5. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Mining aside, a few awesome miles later I was above the lake from the south side. Even though this time I have taken the graded road to the east, bypassing the rock gardens of the north side of the lake, the time saved was going to be put to a good use!

[​IMG]

From that range, to this one! Gassed up near the lake, both bike and self full, on with the show! :ricky

[​IMG]

Amazing thing is, even though you can't quite see in this photo are all the switchbacks connecting this point of view with the forest roads below :pynd

[​IMG]

And what is it far in the distance?! It has to be the alternate way down that I will save for my next visit up here :jkam

[​IMG]

Suddenly, around the next bend, yes! Lots of switchbacks! :ricky

[​IMG]

Down at the bottom, after a few small creek crossings, the road gets to be the creek when it rains really good.... FUN!

[​IMG]

Then, just strolling down a plateau... wait, where does this one lead? Maybe a cow pasture? :smile6I seem to always end up on one on my better rides! :lol3

[​IMG]

Nope, no cows, but a bliss little downhill to what my GPS says should be a lake. I'm itching to take a swim....

[​IMG]

...but when i get there... it's a bit shallow for that...

[​IMG]

Climbing back up onto the plateau, the sights are just mesmerizing! How did I not ride here all this time?!

[​IMG]

Lots of easy riding at this point. As elevations dropped off so did the temperatures.... yeah right? maybe in reverse! :roflat least the roads were more straight and smooth. Braaaaap for cooling!

[​IMG]

This place sure has some neat geology!

[​IMG]

And even more bliss riding... all the way from up top way over there!

[​IMG]

Aside from the bridged T6 Crossing, this was the biggest creek of the two days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But, as it almost always is the case, this day was coming to an end of the trail as I mapped it.

[​IMG]

So long, you who came along to see my shots and follow my story!

[​IMG]

More shall be revealed, but that's another story (and another ride) :wave
    AZ Mark, Mavilago, eaglescan and 2 others like this.
  6. UselessOnABike

UselessOnABike Chris McCartney

Oddometer:
    Northern Ireland. Past: Australia, & New Zealand
    That looks absolutely stunning @flying.moto !! Scenery looks amazing and the bike looks great! That California sunshine looks like heaven right now. We haven't had much of a summer this year in Ireland, in fact, it's been a miserable one. I'm going back to Australia in a few months time to live there again, seeing your photos just makes me wish it was next week haha. Looks like you pack light on your trips! The barrel bag on the back, I have one almost identical looking made by a German brand called Tatonka. We use it when we go out on my friend's boat, those barrel bags come in handy! Gonna check your build thread now mate.
    flying.moto likes this.
  7. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    another good read and great photos. looks like the crash guards saved you some grief . Do they help when picking up the beast?
    flying.moto likes this.
  8. flying.moto

Oddometer:
    Good stuff! For a few days ride i tend to only bring the rollie bag and a backpack. Mine is made by wolfman. Good piece of kit. underneath it, made to fit into my luggage rack is a small tool kit bag with a spare tube and all the tools needed to change it. On the longer rides, as on my other RRs i hang two soft bags on the sides and thats it. even then i feel like im overpacking but then, maybe im not. I'm still yet to find a place for a small computer, or choose the said computer for when i will go for more than a month's worth of riding. :ricky

Man, i really want to get back to Australia for some more riding! This year I was lucky enough to ride around Melbourne, albeit street, but still, happy as i can be on my work trip that suddenly found myself riding! Ireland... yeah... only dreaming of TET right now! :drink

I like them! My bike knows i use them fairly regularly! :lol3 I doubt they make it easier to pick up the Crow... but definitely saved the radiator time and time again. I tend to ride a little more adventurous than my proficiency on many occasions, and as far as picking up the bike... when i have the soft bags on the back, those make it easier. The crash bars, only really protect the squishy bits in the middle. i'm thinking of adding highway pegs and maybe small aux lights on it, but the lights aren't that needed as i avoid riding at night if i can... recently i modded the attach points to use common bolts instead of the countersunk hex ones it came with.... the whole countersinking is not worth the small hex size (6mm) and how stuck they get in there.... not to mention inability to replace one on the road if one vibrates out.
    UselessOnABike and eaglescan like this.