what to expect from wife , when doing two up ? should I ?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by booniebasher, Dec 1, 2016.

1. overkilled

overkilled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    funny ! my wifes nickname is ( chatty kathi ) by her brothers...guess the bluetooth is necessary...whats the best one for adventure rideing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
  2. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    We have the Sena SMH5 (pictured in my previous post). I have a few gripes. It cuts out every so often for a few seconds, then re-connects. Other owners say theirs doesn't, so maybe mine has a glitch. Range is rather short at about 1/8 mile, and cuts out around corners. A non-issue for 2-up. It will do phone calls and music (auto-interrupt). I think it was $250 including upgraded speakers.

They have more advanced models now, including one that does video like a GoPro.

Scala is another popular brand. We avoided that brand intentionally to avoid having friends of ours that have them asking to join our conversation. My wife and I like our privacy. I don't need anyone listen to my groaning during reach-arounds. :evil
    weldpro and Maggot12 like this.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    You'll get a few responses for intercoms.. Sena and Scala will be at the top with a few cheaper types out there.

Trunk is another must for passenger comfort. I had a backrest on mine like the one a couple posts back. My passengers felt the backrest pushed them uncomfortably forward, so I removed it. Say it's much more comfortable and the padding in the back of the jacket is not hard against the truck. just a thought.
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    We went through multiple Scala Rider systems, and ended up with Sena after our 2nd Scala system failed while on the CDR. We had to divert off of the CDR and go into Albuquerque to find a new system. All they had were Sena so we went with it. Scala sent their latest/greatest system after complaining over in the Vendors section, I sold it right off as I have yet to have any issues with the Sena after several years now. (I guess I just screwed myself by saying that, didn't I?)
  5. Mossy87

Mossy87 Irish inside!

Oddometer:
    DO IT!

Ok well it all depends on the people but I did it and we both loved it. She loves being on the bike, loves camping, all of it.
    Confidence is a big thing, she needs the top case on as a backrest even on short journeys but I'm cool with that - I always have it attached due to work commutes anyway.

Touring - We have done up to 500miles a day, multiple trips up to a week long at times on the west coast US.
    I do the same as previous poster - assign her one of the side panniers, if it doesn't fit it stays at home!!
    I don't have any experience with coms units yet.

Advice - Give her time and start on small journeys, she will need time to find her comfort level. I have seen a big difference in our riding over the months.
    Now as I approach a corner I can feel the bike wanting to turn in without any input from me. Thats her leaning in! At the start she tended to lean the opposite direction, it was a nightmare.

I am not from the US so been able to share new experiences with her and on a bike is a big plus for me.

Future changes would probably be a comfort saddle for both of us and a coms unit.

6. overkilled

overkilled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mossy....u dah man brah !

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
  7. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/

Oddometer:
  8. ExplorerFrog

ExplorerFrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spent many years working around SE Asia. Met my wife in Thailand and after my contract was up with the company I worked we spent a year based out of her home town between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai traveling and riding around Thailand. Hope to take my current bike back with me in a few years to retire there. She loves to ride and at 100 lbs I don't even know she's back there.
  9. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil

Oddometer:
    Lots of good advice here. I would also add to get her decent riding gear (boots, helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, the whole shebang).
    I'm the passenger on our R1200GS. I get one of the side cases for my stuff, and he gets the other one. We also have a topcase that carries raingear, spare parts, and some extra clothing. If we bring camping gear, it's in dry bags lashed to the side cases.
    [​IMG]
    Dao1 and booniebasher like this.
  10. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    On hot days, my wife was always reluctant to wear gear. We found her a nice armored mesh jacket/gloves, and a well vented helmet, and now she doesn't mind wearing them. Lined textile jacket for winter.
    booniebasher likes this.
  11. chorizo

chorizo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "enjoy the ride and some kind of happy ending" massage?
    This is essential
  12. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not being very tall and not able to completely flat foot, we had a routine for her getting on. She put her hand on my shoulder and waited for me to nod so I was braced - never had a problem. Nothing like a fall before you even get on the road to dent confidence.
    Having some form of communication is essential. After the first ever trip, she never showed any desire for a comms.
    She would do the rudimentary navigation - thumps on the shoulder - then I would choose interesting roads.

BTW, apart from my short inseam, the guzzi's seat was raised to ease the knee angle for both of us. I also had to make new foot rests because her knees were worse... then our feet clashed. I'm sure you all know the sort of thing once you get into changing stuff.

I had a top box too, with a homemade rack on top for light stuff, maybe the tent and mats. We fluffed that forwards to make a backrest. The side box handles worked as grips for her. She would often fall asleep on motorways, I never noticed.

She was a quilter of repute and often invited to give lectures and masterclasses. We had a huge backpack made (by a bouncy castle builder) to carry quilts and works in progress. It worked fine domestically and within Europe - for US visits Mr Boeing provided transport - Fortunately the quilts were very light if massively bulky, for that, the top box came off.
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    My wife has her own bike, she takes whatever she can carry herself....and that's a LOT. She took 'dress up clothes' to Tierra Del Fuego!
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Glue a make up mirror inside the top box lid. Colleen loves this.
    husky390, Eatmore Mudd and Maggot12 like this.
  15. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The helmet hair look was one thing the ex never got used to. Especially bad in the south of France in pre helmet vent days.
  16. Gham

Gham What's for lunch?

Oddometer:
    The wife's comfort is first and foremost,a nice padded backrest is essential.I give my wife a large Givi top bag for her stuff and I use one side bag for me and one for tools/supplies.

We used soft luggage for the first couple years and it was mounted in such a position that didn't really allow her ample movement of the legs for stretching

[​IMG]

If you look at the picture you can see how the footpegs are kinda tucked under,plus the sissybar/backrest is too straight up and down.

If your a deer hunter and you've ever sat in a tree stand all day you can relate to my Honda,this year I bought a road sofa

[​IMG]
    Dao1 and High Country Herb like this.
  17. MedfordRider

MedfordRider n00b

Oddometer:
    I love going 2 up with my wife. She taps me to communicate as I can't hear over the bike/road noise. I can tell by how she taps me that I should lookout for something or I'm going too fast or doing something she doesn't like, waving to other riders. I have a Sena but she doesn't, that'll be her Christmas present. We usually go on my F650GS low. I weight about 165 5'11 and she is about 115 and 5' 1 3/4 . She a natural on the back, leans just right and at the right moment. She usually holds on the rear grab bars and has hinted that she would something to lean back on such as a sissy bar or top box. I have been riding with her more and more and each time I,ve been taking her out on slightly long rides. Mainly to test our endurance. She likes it so we're talking about taking longer day trips and an over night trip too. When we travel by air we always pack light. No matter how long the trip is, if it doesn't fit in a back pack, I don't need it. Just like the other responders to this tread, I try to make it as fun as possible for her.
  18. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've been here 2 years and finally made your first post?! Noteworthy that its in a thread on getting your wife into motorcycling. Hope she knows the significance of that.
  19. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil

Oddometer:
    Our first bike was also an F650GS. Great bike, and it got amazing mileage even 2-up and packed for multi-day rides. :clap

Yes, definitely get your wife a back rest or top case! It will add significantly to her comfort and security. The topcase on our F650 was a Givi and I really liked it. Our current one is a Vario and it has needed a customized back pad.
  20. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dated a woman who rode her own bike. We took a few trips around the Finger Lakes in NY and up to Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario (she lived in Canada and I in NY) and did the Great Lakes Circle Tour. I fitted her FF helmet with a Scala unit and she loved being able to talk while riding. She especially liked being warned of upcoming gravel patches, dead animals, potholes, etc.....
    Macho Man2 likes this.