What To Get Next?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rigger43, Jun 26, 2021.

1. rigger43

rigger43 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, wasn't sure where to post this so I decided here was as good as any...

What to get next? Just looking for thoughts and ideas here. No right or wrong answer and all ideas are welcome.

I currently have an 09' Ducati Multistrada 1100S. I like the bike and it is great on the blacktop but I would like something different. I have had a fair number of bikes over the years and I have come to the conclusion that an adventure or adventure-style machine seems to work the best for me.

I really don't do long-distance rides, or I should say very rarely. Most of my riding is commuting here and there. Playing on the backroads around the home. I like to explore when I can. If the current ride will allow, no dirt road is left unridden. My wife, which is rather small, enjoys riding with me when she can and so does my daughter. The wife and I will try to make a run up to the mountains once a year for a weekend of exploring.

I really don't ride enough to justify owning a bike at all but actually my really enjoys us having one and I am planning on doing more riding in the near future.

So here are some of the rides I am considering.....

- A new KLR650. I have looked around for used and there are plenty of them out there but for what people are asking for the beat-up bikes, I think I would prefer to just grab a new KLR. I kind of like the simplicity of the bike and I think the changes they have made to the new one will make for a decent ride. When a nice used KLR does come up, they seem to be way overpriced or they sell really fast.

- A new Tenere 700. I have not seen a new T7 in person yet. I talked to a dealer today and they have gotten in a few. He said they sell in less than a day of sitting on the floor. He has another coming in a few weeks and will call me when he knows an arrival date. I do like the versatility of the T7. It seems like a bike that I could do just about anything with. From my reading and talking, I think a simple seat swap and a rear rack would be about all I would need to do to it. Having grown up on dirt bikes, this bike really does appeal to me.

- A new BMW F750GS. I started to consider this one but for some reason, it just doesn't really seem to do it for me. Can't really explain why but I am still trying to give it a chance. I would prefer the base bike but my local dealer says he would have to special order a base bike. All the ones they get are bikes with lots of options so I know the price will jump considerably.

- A new Triumph Tiger 850 Sport. This bike really seems to catch my eye. I did have a 2011 Tiger 800 before and there were only a few little things about it I did not care for. And actually, I could have corrected those if I had kept it longer. I did enjoy the motor in that bike a lot and my wife really liked it too. At first, I did not like the idea of the Sport but the more I study it, the more I think it would work out well. My local Triumph dealer is great and he has a few of them on the floor now. The new Sport Feels pretty nice to me and I kind of like the simplicity of the machine.

- There is an 09 BMW G650 GS in my area that is in really good condition and only has 1700 miles on it. It also has crash bars and BMW hard luggage as well. This is another one that catches my eye and I am kind of drawn to it.

Normally I would not consider new bikes but I am not finding very many used rides that catch my eye right now. A lot of the fun for me is finding decent deals on used bikes, TLC the hell out of them and then sell them after a year or so. Only to do it all over again.

But lately, I am getting to where I kind of want to find a good ride, maybe a new one, set it up for how I will use it, and keep it for a while.
  2. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    V85 TT Moto Guzzi!
  3. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Get one of these.

2537610.jpg
    rigger43 likes this.
  4. rigger43

Oddometer:
    I thought about that but I no longer have Moto Guzzi dealer near me.
    bikeridermark likes this.
  5. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Normally I wouldn’t reply to a thread such as this since getting a new ride is a very subjective and personal choice. However, I feel I must in this case since the obvious choice is a Yamaha Xmax scooter:lol3
    AE4FD18E-60F8-406F-9C36-9BE5B43C20DD.jpeg
    At least this is the choice I recently made.:-)
    JETalmage, tennmoto and rigger43 like this.
  6. rigger43

Oddometer:
    I like it!
    I agree with you completely on person’s choice of ride. But I also like to consider others experience on different bikes and how they can be applied to myself. You never know how a different perspective can open up a whole new idea.
  7. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    I just went through this. My criteria were - must ride two-up comfortably (rules out T7), limited complexity (no electronically adjustable suspension, etc.), reliable, capable of 300-500 mile days on occasion and reasonable fuel range. I just picked up a 2018 V-Strom 1000 with only 600 miles on it with a nice set of panniers. Good price. Did a 300 mile run on it with my wife the other day. A tick over 50 mpg. Smooth, not hot, reasonable wind protection - will tweak that a bit. Overall, it's better than I had hoped for.

This is coming from someone that has pissed away a ton of money on motorcycles over the years - this is number 63, including R1200GS, RT, ST1300, FJRs, S10s, Triumph Explorer, KTM 990, numerous Harleys, KLR, VFRs, V Max, Bandits and V-Stroms (650s and a previous gen 1000).
    JETalmage and msahern5 like this.
  8. Joe?

Joe? ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haven't ridden the Tiger 850 but am smitten with the 900 Rally Pro/GT Pro for reasons you've listed plus a gem of a motor. The new models seem to have ironed out all previous gen kinks.

Coming from the Multi everything else seems like it would feel agrarian.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on MG but out of OP list I would cross out KLR and 750GS. I'd say try both T700 and triumph and see if you need to look any further.
  10. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Tiger
  11. rigger43

Oddometer:
    V Strom - I have not really considered a V Strom but I know they are a great machine. I think the reason is years ago we were up in the mountains taking a break. (we had the 2011 Tiger at the time) A guy on a newer V Strom 1000 stopped next to us and we started talking. He had a Tiger before the big V and he said how much he missed his Tiger. He liked his V and he said it was a great bike but it was the motor he missed in his Tiger. In his opinion, the V was really boring and not entertaining to ride compared to his Tiger.

Ever since that conversation, I have not really considered a V Strom 1000 anymore. I know the 650 V is a great bike but I don't the 650 is going to do it for me. Maybe I should reconsider the big V again.

And again, I don't have to purchase a new machine. If I find the right deal on something used, I am fine with it. Just lately I have been liking the idea of getting new and setting it up how I want it. Then maintaining correctly and just enjoying it.

The other new Tigers would be great but there is such a price jump in them from the 850 Sport that I am not considering them. I also ask myself, do I really need all the extra options they have and the answer is no, not really. Cruise would be one thing I would like to have but have never had it before. And would be so rare that I would probably use that I don't think I can justify the price jump in bikes to get it.
  12. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    The 850/900 motor is supposed to be “different” from the 800. Go ride one and let us know if it better, or you pick up a nice used 800XR
  13. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I went from a V-Strom 650 to my Tiger 800 because...yep...the Strom was capable but dull. When I was in the Strom universe there were a lot of guys that went to a 1000 from a 650 and regretted it. The feeling was all you gained from the bigger Strom was more weight.

I started riding with a KLR and, while it can do pretty much anything, it isn't happy doing it. Like 2-up. Or 70 mph. And they are really, really tall, even for a nearly six foot guy like me.

You had a Tiger and liked it. Imagine a Tiger with all the annoying shit fixed, which are the new ones. :D
  14. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    The first generation V-Strom 1000 is a completely different animal from the 2nd generation. I was disappointed going from the 650 to the 2007 1000 I had. That bike was clunky shifting between 1st and 2nd and rough on acceleration, no matter how I dicked with the throttle body sync. I didn't keep that bike long. This 2018 V-Strom 1000 is completely different - none of those issues.

Before I bought this V-Strom, I almost bought a Versys 1000 SE LT+. I found a good deal, agreed on a price, but the guy didn't have the title in hand (it was at a CU 100 miles away). That gave me time to think about it and I decided to back out. The LT+ is loaded with electronics and gadgetry that I don't need and don't trust in the long run.
  15. rigger43

Oddometer:
    Well the BMW G650 I was considering just sold so that one is out now. I still have the KLR on the list but I think it has moved to the bottom of the list now. As far as new bikes go, I think it is still between the T7 and the new 850 Sport. I figure once I swap the seat and install some sort of rear rack, then the price gap closes more between the T7 and 850.

The more I study the BMW, the more I don't think I care for it. I know it is a good bike but I don't think I can get excited about it.

Then I still have my Multi. Took it for a nice backroad ride yesterday afternoon and enjoyed the ride. Also, happen to have a fork seal go out on it while I was riding so there is one more thing I need to do this week. Re-seal the front forks.

I think if I were to go after something very road-focused, then I might as well stick with my Multi for now because it is a great road bike. I know the 850 Sport is also road-focused but from what I have seen people doing with it offroad, it can certainly do more in the dirt than what I would attempt to do with my Multi.

Right now in my area, I don't see anything used that catches my eye. I may be able to get my hands on a T7 soon. I can easily get my hands on an 850 sport.

I currently have a gentleman that is a Ducati enthusiast interested in mine so I will see what he wants to do. If he gets it, then it will be time to decide. One nice thing about the Tiger is I can demo a new one anytime I want.
  16. rigger43

Oddometer:
    My local Yamaha dealer gave me a shout today and I got a chance to check out a new T7 in person and not just in pictures. I like the bike but I am not as impressed with it as I thought I would be. Once I finally got an out-the-door price on it and thought about what else I would bolt on the bike, again was not very impressed. The new T7 would be just under $12,000 out the door. Then I would be bolting on a new seat, a real skid plate, some decent handguards and some type of a rear rack for at least a decent tail bag. Add all that up and I am at the same price as a new Tiger 850 Sport out the door.
    The T7 was cool but I could certainly see where Yamaha did things to save some money to keep the bike at that $10,000 point. It is cool but I think I would prefer to buy that bike in the future when I can run across a good used one and the investment will be much lower. It does look like it would be a lot of fun to ride.
    One thing I really did not like is the Yamaha dealer would not allow me to demo the bike. I do understand why but I don't like the idea of dropping that kind of cash on a bike and not being able to even put a mile on it first. My Triumph dealer will let me take any bike off of his floor and demo that I am interested in.

So that pretty much leaves the Tiger for a new bike choice unless I happen to run across something else used that I like.

Now I just need to sell my Multistrada.
  17. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I to am interested in the tiger 850. I have a 2015 vstrom from new and I like it but as the miles go up its gets more and more agricultural and feeling heavier with every ride, maybe I'm just bored with it now. I was going to get a 650, versy or vstrom but the tiger is not much more here in the UK ( about a grand more) for better brakes, suspension, more go etc. There is also the base model Yamaha tracer 9 but that's a grand more than the tiger and the tiger is stretching the budget as is!
    Be interesting to see if you like the tiger.
  18. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
  19. rigger43

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed my first Tiger and the few things that did bug me about it seem to have addressed on the new 850. I like the 900 Tigers but I know I wouldn’t use all the extra features of the 900 , with the exception of cruise control, so I really don’t want to pay all the extra for them. I will probably never use the rider modes on the 850 Tiger as it is. I like having an option that I get to pay for what I want and will use.
  20. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a tiger8 before this vstrom. It did feel much lighter and smoother but I needed to stop twice in a hurry two up and we nearly didn't get pulled up in time so I sold it. That shouldn't be a problem on the 850 sport.
    I don't need riding mods or even traction control on any bike below 100hp, just standard abs is fine for me.
    The 900gt is £11400 here in the UK which for me is to much for what you get but the 850 is £9300. A vstrom 650 is £8000, by the time I improve the brakes and suspension I'll be at near the 9k mark anyways. I've had three new Triumph's before, all liked oil and two had gearbox trouble so I said I'd not buy another but I like the look of this one.