What to ride?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by BAP, Mar 13, 2009.

1. BAP

BAP Formally FYREGUY73

Oddometer:
    First post, so Hi to all. I currently have a 08 Husky TE610 and I am looking to do some touring in Australia. Should I spend some cash and buy a IMS tank, luggage rack, screen, GPS or should I sell it and buy a new bike. I had my eye on a BMW F800GS. What do you think? Is the 800 a good tourer and off roader or should I stick with the Hussy?
  2. 3Rugrs4GA

3Rugrs4GA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fyreguy....take my advice lightly, as I am a self-adimitted noob here. I recently purchased a F800GS and can't imagine a better bike. I can't and won't compare it to the Husky you currently own, but after a significant amount of research I reached the conclusion that the F800GS can handle most chores with aplomb. No...it's not the best in class at everything, but that's not what you are asking....IMHO I think it's the perfet adventure tourer. The F800GS handles exceptionally well on city streets, rural roads, and highways. Although I have no off-road experience with it, I can judge it's handling characteristics and predict it can more than carry it's own weight on dirt paths and gravel tracks. If you can...then buy a new F800GS and never look back. I don' think you'll regret the decision.
  3. BAP

BAP Formally FYREGUY73

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I was just watching some of the video of the guy who did the 3 month trip on a older Husky and it has given me new confidence in the old girl. I would love a Beemer but in Aust they go for about $17000, OUCH. For the difference I could set up the Husky very nicely. Another question, Who makes a bigger tank for the Husky? I have seen them on the older models but not on the fuel injected models, any thoughts anyone?
  4. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Hi mate,

I'm in two minds on how to reply to you here. On the one hand, I don't think your Husky will make the perfect three-month-tour bike. No mattter how big the tank and how you devise a luggage-carrying solution, you'll end up with a bike that's still not as good at either of those things as (for example) a KLR650. And it will be unpleasant to ride on the highway. Plus, I have a (probably incorrect) idea that these hi-po Euro thumpers are difficult to maintain and get parts for.

On the other hand, "ride what you've got". You have a bike, you can make it work, and the difference between modding yours and buying new sure buys you a lot of road trippin'.

So I think it all depends on you. Provided you're realistic, when you make your plans, about the type of travel this bike is suited to, then go with what you've got. I, for example, have a DL650. Accordingly, the tip of Cape York is not on my moto-agenda, nor is a Simpson crossing, but you'd be a sure starter for both of those trips on your bike. However, I can idly contemplate a four-day run to Perth, which you presumably cannnot (unless you're superhuman).

I used to curse the small tank (and my small wallet) on my old DR650, but with careful planning around fuel stops and avoiding tar, I managed to ride that big girl around most of the eastern seaboard and see lots of places I now fear to take my Strom.

If, in the end, you opt for a new bike, consider a used F650 single, or a KLR, before you look at an 8GS. They're cheaper, and coming from your Husky, will seem more familiar and easier to ride, particularly in the gnarly bits. Not that the 8 isn't a competent bike, it's just not wise to make the first time you ride a new bike coincide with your trip-of-a-lifetime tour (not if you have luck like mine, anyway!).
  5. CDL13

CDL13 Gravity, A good idea.

Oddometer:
    Clarke makes a 3.7 gal. tank, IMS a 3.0 gal.