What to see in the West

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Jamie Z, May 4, 2011.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an unknown amount of time off coming up. Here's why:

[​IMG]

That's my employer. It's predicted to last two to five weeks. Who knows. They've agreed to pay us for at least the first two weeks, and thereafter they'll re-evaluate.

This is where you come in. I plan to head west since I've really never been that way much. I don't have much time to plan. I've read through some other similar threads and come up with some big-name stuff like Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, maybe zip through Vegas.

When touring, I typically go about 275-300 miles per day on average. That's not quite 2000 miles I can go from Memphis before I have to turn around and go back to work. I'm a non-interstate kind of guy. I like twisty roads, scenic places, historic places, a bit of gravel here and there, and meeting and hanging out with locals.

I was kinda thinking I'd leave Memphis and go through northwest Arkansas, then down to Texas Hill Country... after that, well... where would you go?

New Mexico? Colorado? Utah? Arizona?

Jamie
  2. gallinastrips

gallinastrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you like twisty back roads don't skip the San Juans of Colorado.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    Arizona 191 is a must ride from Morenci to Alpine. Pine tree type stuff, not Gila Monsters and cactus.

Quemado for pie.

Billy the Kid stuff in New Mexico.

Tombstone and Bisbee Arizona

Anything in Utah besides being converted.

Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon

Grand Canyon, old 66 and Seligman highway

Head west and stop wherever you feel like, there isn't anyplace NOT worth visiting.
  4. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    I concur. I had a hoot of a time on that road!
  5. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    There is just a ton of stuff to see out west, start with no plan and you will stay busy with what you come across. Ask the locals in each area you hit.

Now go put the blue loctite on your countershaft nut... :rofl
  6. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley... all in Utah.
  7. Dirt Sampler

Dirt Sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Highway 12 in utah
  8. FILLETI

FILLETI mild asphalt allergy

Oddometer:
    Milwaukee = Beer, Cheese, Cold, Slow Bikes
    there's alot of good riding the the white moutains (besides the obvious - devils highway). When you go from 3000-9500 feet, there's alot of different terrain to see, cliff dwellings, old mining towns, etc. It's alot closer to you than going all they way to the pacific ocean and there's far fewer people. You could head north from there into CO (also lots of good stuff). PM me if you want some exact routes. Good Luck!
  9. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I vote NM, AZ, UT, Las Vegas. Maybe come back a northern plains route:

Google Map the following locations. Cimarron, NM to an hour short of Las Vegas is all two-lane, and lightly travelled:

Cimarron, NM> Eagles Nest> Taos> Chama> Farmington> Shiprock> Monument Valley, AZ> Mexican Hat, UT> Mokee Dugway (hwy 261)> Halls Crossing ferry to Bullfrog Landing> Capitol Reef NP> Hwy 12> Boulder> Bryce Canyon NP> North Rim Grand Canyon> Zion NP> The Bellagio in Las Vegas.

Generally 5k-9k feet MSL. Pleasant temps. Lots to see. Lonely roads. Never pass a gas station without filling up.

The return might be: LV> Idaho Falls, ID> Jackson Hole, WY> Yellowstone NP> Cody> Greybull> Hwy 14 over the Bitter Roots to Sheridan, WY> Spearfish, SD> Lead> Deadwood> Custer> Hot Springs> Buffalo Gap> Badlands NP> Slab it home.

I've toured both routes. Excellent riding and a big variation in terrain. Basically the loop exposes you to what most of the Great West is.
  10. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check the weather as you go and revise your route.
    The northern rockies had a lot of snow this year. Not so much down here and into New Mexico. Southeast Utah is prime now until Memorial Day when the heat gets too much.
  11. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Everyone knows that Idaho and Montana are the places to be.

Jamie, any chance of you guys being flooded out long enough to make WestFest in Darby, MT? Weather Service is saying this is the flood of the century...
  12. IBGONE

IBGONE Old, slow, and happy

Oddometer:
    Nothing out there. Crappy roads. Too many people. You'll hate it.

:lol3
  13. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's another great road!

Ride out west to flagstaff, then morenci, check out the copper mine, head north, then go see the bottom half of Utah, then head back to Memphis.

BTW, if you're going that way, please let me know if you'll be in Tyler, TX. I can make it worth you're while. :D There's a certain house and cars that need to be teabagged :D On the serious side, there are some kickass roads between here and Tyler. I wish I didn't have the other trip planned, or I'd hit the road with you:freaky
  14. Chaos-in-MT

Chaos-in-MT OK lets GO!

Oddometer:
    Lots to see. Just roil with it and if you end up in Montana (witch is a must at some point)drop me a PM if I am able I would be glad to show you around some and have put up many a fellow hooligan.

Good Luck, Have Fun, and make an adventure of it.

Chaos
  15. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Marked 191 in my map.

Billy the Kid. Pfft. Rode through whatever town that is on my bicycle a couple years ago. Wrote in my journal that it was a shrine to a cop killer.

Don't know much about Tombstone or Bisbee

Don't know yet about Grand Canyon. I guess it's something to see, but I really can't stand touristy places. Whiny kids. Blech.

Cool, marked that one too.

Jamie
  16. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I'll keep track of those places. I'm looking at a southerly route out there along the Mexican border, but I need to get back somehow, and that could be farther north.

Dunno. When is WestFest?

Copper mine, I like that. I'll let you know about Tyler.

Jamie
  17. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Follow along here:

<iframe src='http://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=2b974dc4b27210522&width=600&height=300&scale=on&zoom=default' width='640' height='300' scrolling='auto' frameborder='0'>Embedding failed because inline frames are not supported by your browser or the web server.</iframe>

(It won't start mapping me until Saturday morning.)

Jamie
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    SE utah is awesome this time of year
  19. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Might be stretching it a bit. Here's what I would do.

route

IMO, Southern Utah is absolutely breathtaking. Zion, Cedar Breaks, Bryce Lake Powell Mexican Hat, Moab, etc.... And the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado is gorgeous.
  20. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    One of the best pictures I've ever taken was at the Morenci Copper mine. I was going to post it but I don't want to spoil the fun of seeing it with your own eyes. :)