What to see in the West

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Jamie Z, May 4, 2011.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got it. Awesome. I'll call Ralph.

Jamie
  2. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Oh well, it was a nice thought. Ralph and his partner are on vacation until the 24th according to a message on his voicemail.

I'll call the shop in Alpine and look for a cheaper tire. I'm running a Shinko 712 right now.

Jamie
  3. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    How long do you think it will last you?
  4. TexasShadow

TexasShadow Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer:
    Vacation? Hah!! figures.
    Nearest bigest town is Fort Stockton. Not sure what's there for bike shops, but might try there. I don't think Voni and Paul are home (S of Alpine); think they are up in the north somewhere. Otherwise, they would be your next best bet.

If you get close to Fort Worth/Dallas area, we can help you out and provide you with a place to crash.
  5. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Probably a couple or few hundred miles. No cords are showing, but a few places on the center of the tread are completely smooth. Thought I had more life when I left home, but 2000 miles and sharp Texas roads haven't helped.

Jamie
  6. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
  7. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    If you take the highway along the river from Lajitas to Presidio, you won't use any of the center of the tread. The next closest moto tire shop that direction would probably be El Paso though, unless there's someone in Marfa or Fort Davis with a tire that size..

John
  8. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    I think Fort Stockton's closer.
  9. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Yes, definitely. Not too much back-tracking either, and maybe a couple of hours away at most?

John
  10. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    An hour. No more than hour and 1/2 and on level tarmac (aka no caliche, cactus, sharp rocks,.... ;)
  11. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Big Bend Cycle
    432-837-3267

Listed in Alpine. I've called twice today and gotten an answering machine. I suppose I could leave a message. Or I could hope to make it to El Paso.

I think that pic shows the best part of the tire. The tread isn't so prominent in real life.

Jamie

Attached Files:

12. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Ft. Stockton is not very far away...
  13. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    It's a little backwards. I'm heading west. Had been planning to run up to Presidio.

Thanks for the info. I'll call and see what they say. I do appreciate all the help. It's a little frustrating trying to look up info on a cell phone, especially when I rarely get a signal.

Jamie
  14. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    If it were me, I'd backtrack, get a new tire then run due South to Marathon and loop through Big Bend (and Santa Elena Canyon) to Terlingua and on over to Presidio. The observatory West of Ft. Davis is pretty cool and the roads are fantastic. Just West of Valentine is the Pravda Marfa photo-op and it's pretty country but that's a really straight road..

John
  15. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    The first number gave me a strange recording and an option for french. I think 877 is an international country code.

Second number, no answer, though it may have been closed since when I finally got a phone signal, it was kind if late.

I may end up having to backtrack some and come bak. The tire has a short section of different color rubber showing. :( and it'll be Friday tomorrow. :(

Oh well. It'll work out.

Jamie
  16. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    CanAm is a French Canadian company. Looks like that may be a corporate number. 877 is a toll-free prefix.

If you happen to get to Terlingua/Study Butte early in the day, Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe is the place to get breakfast and sit around the fire pit chatting with strangers. It is likely that someone in attendance, or Kathy herself, might be able to help you find a tire. I'm not certain she's open during Summer or not, but the number at the Kafe is: (432)*371*2164 and she has wi-fi and good cell coverage (but no 3g). Every time I've been there, there have been other motorcyclists. Same goes for the porch at The Starlight in the ghost town.

Also, there's a geocache at Terlingua..

Sorry you haven't been able to find a tire yet..

John
  17. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    Kathy is gone for the summer to Colorado. Actually, probably 3/4 of the Terlingua residents are in CO for the summer this year.
  18. Voni

Voni RED rider

Oddometer:
    Check out the Painted Feather Gallery in the Ghost Town. Dani and her husband are riders and I think are still there. They may have a lead for you. Sure wish Paul and I weren't 1300 sMiles away.

Enjoy our little corner of the world and be extremely careful with anything that could start another fire.

Voni
    will be sMiling when I hear you're fixed up
  19. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    Note:
    due to fires in the immediate area:
    HIGHWAY CLOSURES: Hwy 90 between Marathon and Sanderson AND Highway 385, which is between Marathon and Fort Stockton.
  20. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I'm not having any luck.

Big Bend Cycles in Alpine has sent me to a voicemail for the third day in a row I left my number yesterday. BRP tells me it's a 10 to 20 minute wait to speak with a csr. It doesn't appear to be the number to a motorcycle shop, but rather a corporate office of some sort. No answer t the Custom Cycle shop.

I talked to a couple other riders up here and they verified the shop in Alpine. The guys told me they probably wouldn't have a tire in stock, but they could surely mount it. I'm wondering why there is no answer. Maybe I overnight a tire to myself somewhere. Either I'll find a place who can mount it or I find some irons and do it myself. I've changed plenty of tires, but always on a stand.

My first thought is to try to limp up to El Paso. Keep the speeds down. I'm not sure. It's a long way. And now it's going to be the weekend. I sure got myself into a bind.

I was really planning on going through Presisidio, Ruidosa, and Fort Davis.

I feel pretty dumb, but I have to point out that I did a bunch of maintenance before I left, including new brakes, new coolant, new air filter, oil change, and checked the chain and tires. I thought they looked fine. I guess those last bits go quickly.

Jamie