What to see in the West

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Jamie Z, May 4, 2011.

1. TexasShadow

TexasShadow Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer:
    Jamie, I posted a call for help on the TWT forum (Two Wheeled Texans), providing a link to your thread here. Perhaps someone can either help you directly or list other suggestions. I've run out of suggestions short of you getting up to Fort Worth area.

Keep us posted, please. We are rooting for you; hang in there.
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the help. I thought I found a cycle shop in Marfa. Again, no answer. Dunno what the is. Haven't yet been able to talk to anyone.

As I'm in Big Bend NP, not much communication here. Occasional cell signal and wifi if I go to the right places, but not at the same time.

My phone number is 901-237-1007 but you're just as likely to reach me by posting here.

Jamie
  3. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    The road from near Panther Junction up to Chisos Basin has good cell coverage a mile or so from the junction. Excellent cell coverage along the road to Rio Grande Village. South end of Old Ore Road at the top of the hill by the highway has great cell signal. The Nat. Park facilities have wi-fi (except Castollon, which doesn't have anything but the little store as far as I know), as you've discovered, and Study Butte has everything. The gas station and restaurant at the intersection of the highways in Study Butte has wi-fi.

I couldn't get a 3G signal anywhere South of Marathon, Alpine or Marfa.

John
  4. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    From TWT member:

"There is a garage on the west end of town where FM 1703 cuts off of 90. Its on the north side of 90 and has a big awaning over the front of the building. He has a few tires and tubes and will mount them for you. He is a mechanic for the border patrol and has to be called to come out during the day time. We got his name from the guy who owns the hotel we stayed in. Lots of people know him, have your friend ask around at car repair places."
  5. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Talked to a couple shops in El Paso. Edge Kawasaki. Well... Not the friendliest or most helpful guys. nothing in stock.

RPM Cycles-guy was real friendly. Didn't have a tire but said if I could have one shipped there. He also tried to give me some information about this area, saying El Paso was about the closest place I might find a shop. He also added that another shop in El Paso, Mr Motorcycles might have a tire in stock.

I called them. They've got some street tire in my size, can't remember the brand.

Called a couple online tire places. Nobody ships overnight. Estimates of 3-7 days shipping.

Right now looks like my best option is to head toward El Paso. Any reason to favor or avoid gravel? There's a hardpack road from Ruidosa I'd like to take, but if that's worse for the tire, I'll avoid it.

Jamie
  6. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    If you have even a slight lack of confidence in your tire, seriously consider riding on pavement only. If your tire fails when you are off pavement, are in any of those remote areas with no cell phone access ( and any or all of the above), and unprepared to exist in blazing sun with no shade, let's just say you had better have some damn good survival skills. Water and shade are the most precious things down there, and if you are stranded for even a few hours without either, in the middle of nowhere, it could be life threatening. I don't offer this just to scare you, but too many people underestimate the desert. And some die of that.
  7. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big Bend Cycle in Alpine should be able to help. It is run by Ernest Rodriguez who is a Border Patrol Agent. He does not get to his shop until about 4 to 4:30 in the afternoon. His phone number is 432.837.3267 and he keeps tires in stock, so you may get lucky.

Good luck!
  8. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Got him on the phone! Unfortunatly I'm calling through Skype and he could barely hear me. He Said he had a 160/70-17, which is slightly bigger than what I need. I didn't get the model tire or price.

Connection broke up after that, I couldnt find out when he'd be in his shop.

Could someone call on my behalf (and post here so he doesn't get a bunch of calls) and let him know what's going on and that If the tire will fit I'll take it.

Id need to know when he'll be available.

Thanks!

Jamie
  9. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    I called and left a message with my cell phone number, asking when he'll be in the shop. I don't know if that tire's too large for your bike or not.

John
  10. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    Jamie, this was just posted on TWT forum thread:

"I just finished talking to Ernest at his shop. He has a Michelin Macadam 160/70R17 and will be at his shop for a few hours this evening and most of the day tomorrow. I guess he got a call from Jamie, but the connection was poor and he doesn't think the message got through.

I left a message on Jamie's cell phone, hope he gets it."
  11. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Thanks a ton for posting that. Looks like I'm headed straight to Alpine tomorrow. There are some roads in this area I want to see, so I'll have to backtrack afterward.

That looks like a sport touring tire, it ought to work just fine. Hope it's not too expensive, but I guess I can't be too picky.

Thanks for everyones help. I'll update when I'm retread. Heck, you can watch the Spotwalla page.

Jamie
  12. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! :clap

I look forward to your ride report!

John
  13. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    The phone call and info was posted by TWT rider 'MrH' who lives in Alpine. Heck, you might meet him, too.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Check out Santa Elena Canyon and Sotol Vista in the National Park if you go back. Awesome places. And if you do the River Road to Presidio, stop off at Big Hill and look for the 'DOM' rock (look for the hiking trail off the side of the pull off). Sit a spell, gaze at the river below, and smell all the tequila that we've imbibed there every New Year's Day. (ask Sharky; he was there one year ;)

Cheerio!
  14. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you haven't found the tire you want to buy and can make it to El Paso, try Mr. Motorcycle at 915-779-8500.
    I stopped in there years ago, they're pretty big, it's worth a shot.
    6020 Gateway Bvld. is the address.
  15. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Ernest is great! In and out in about 30 minutes.

Thank for all the help everyone. I'll update more when I'm not on my phone.

Jamie

Attached Files:

16. TexasShadow

Oddometer:
    :clap
  17. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    In Douglas tonight. Wasnt planning to stop here but my campsite in the national forest was on fire. Came here last minute.

I'll check out the hotel tomorrow. They got poor reviews so I stayed somewhere else. Yes, my first night in a room.

Bisbee and Tombstone tomorrow. I'd like to then head toward 191 but not sure a good way. I've heard 82 west of Tombstone is a good ride, but it's going out of my way.

After 191, not sure where to go.

Where's the stage coach road? Izzat 77 into globe?

Jamie
  18. jimmesa

jimmesa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much time do you have left to explore?
    SE quarter of AZ has a lot of great riding. For sure do the 191 also known as the Devil's Highway 666. Jim
  19. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Dunno. Got an email today which said that starting next Monday, we're required to check in with our supervisor daily regarding possible scheduling.

I'm on 191 now, stopped for the night in Safford.

Found a cool road out of Tombstone, Middle-something. I took a picture of the sign.

Tomorrow 191 and some mine y'all have mentioned a couple times out of Morenci. After that, not sure. Open to suggestions.

Jamie
  20. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    In Morenci. My information is that tours are offered only Friday and Saturday. It's Thursday. Oh well.

Jamie