What to see in the West

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Jamie Z, May 4, 2011.

1. jimmesa

jimmesa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jamie, You might want to do 191 both ways or 180 to Silver City area. If you're headed east, 70 to White Sands and Cloudcroft on 82. It starts to get a little boring after that.
    Watch out for snow and stay warm! Jim
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    191 both ways woulda been great! I rode it up and took 180 down to Silver City. Found an amazing spur into Mogollon and back.

Glad you mentioned white sands. I've been thinking of going there. After that, I don't know. Was thinking of going north through NM into Colorado. Santa Fe area?

Oh... And it snowed today. Thanks.

Jamie
  3. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    Not sure how much snow they've gotten up around Alpine/Eagar/Springerville. Here's some routes to get you back south.

You can loop back west from Eager, either on 60 or 260 and head back towards Globe. 60 from Show Low to Globe is reservation land, but it's also the semi famous "Salt River Canyon" road. You litterally drop off the end of the Mogollon Rim and switchback down to the river. Used to be a one lane bridge at the bottom, which was quite interesting for semi trucks to meet at the bottom with no brakes.

Once back in Globe, continue west on 60 through the Globe/Miami/Claypool area for the copper mine districts. Downtown Globe is interesting with it's museums and stuff. Then you have another big open pit mine.

West of Miami, take 177 back south towards Kearny, which will pass over the Ray copper mine just above Kelvin. Really big overlooks and stuff.

There is free camping in Kearny at the city park near the river. If the Gila is not overflowing, you can ride across and bush camp on the other side.

North of Hayden/Winkleman on 77 (which is another great road) there is a dirt road to the west. At the junction, it's a pretty large dirt road that leads off the left, you can mapquest/google the view. This leads back about 5 miles or so, and appears to deadend at an old ranch. The road goes past the main house, then turns to the right and goes basically through the corrals. This leads back up to Globe and is the old stage route. There is a campground on top of the mountain in the pine trees.

My folks live in Kearny, but have already left to head to Indiana for my daughter's graduation.

If you're headed back into New Mexico, take 60 east from Springerville to Quemado. Then 36 north to 117 east/north. 117 runs through what is called the "Malpais". It's an old lava flow, that quite litteraly stops right next to the paved road. There are some natural bridges, some native sites, some lava caves and it's just a cool ride. Caution, if it's been snowing, Grants New Mexico is actually higher in elevation than Flagstaff. Might be friggen cold.

This time of year, snow usually only lasts for hours, but ice remains in any shadow until it warms.

60 isn't a bad ride back through New Mexico for a return leg. Ft. Sumner has all the Billy the Kid history.

And of course, Roswell has all it's aliens.
  4. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great route, though you're about a day behind me. Stayed in Silver City last night, rode 152 east today. Wow. Side trip to Truth or Consequences. Las Cruces tonight.

Tomorrow White Sands... And then?

I'm not a fan of Billy the Kid. He's a cop killer. Why people glorify him, I have no idea.

Jamie
  5. jimmesa

jimmesa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jamie, After White Sands check out Cloudcroft. If you're headed to CO, try the back roads to the Taos area. If CO passes are closed, head to the Ozarks. You probably know that area already. I had a great time in Northern AR. Jim
  6. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woot!
  7. rodr

rodr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Jamie, I'm gonna be headed out that way next week. I know you don't have much of a plan right now but you might make a note of my schedule here and send a note if you think we might be in any of the same places at the same time.

Happy trails!
  8. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I'll be home probably Wednesday.

Jamie
  9. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Made it home yesterday evening having made almost a flawless trip. A couple hiccups but nothing which left me stranded.

Saw some great stuff.

Quite a bit of that is due to this thread. Thanks for all the help. I'll be posting a ride report. It'll be a little while. I have a ton of photos to sort through.

Jamie
  10. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    You can post that picture now.

By the way, I'm starting my ride report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692782

Jamie
  11. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer: