What to wear in the hot and humid Asian countries?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by ukAdventurer, Feb 27, 2020.

1. ukAdventurer

ukAdventurer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What kind of gear do you wear in tropical climates to stay comfortable?

I’m based in Mongolia but have come to Nha Trang, Vietnam for the winter to extend the riding season. Since there’s not much of a PPE market here, I brought my own gear. I wouldn’t call it terribly hot and humid here in winter (30C high, 70% humidity) but it might get hotter before we leave in April.

I have a base layer undersuit (bull-it covec airflow suit) which is knit LC polymer (similar properties to knit kevlar). In the armour pockets I have Knox or Forcefield level 2 pads. Since, it looks like pajamas I usually throw on motocross shirt and pants. I also made my own cordura and Lycra jacket for a little more abrasion protection. However, I could wear the undersuit alone in a pinch because it’s pretty good abrasion and impact resistant alone. Very airy too 56DDF8B7-BD54-4640-AB81-7EF84E8E0448.jpeg 8E196D16-43EE-4DF3-8F2A-A964528416FD.jpeg C9F133E1-1EB3-4F46-BE9D-2625833762CF.jpeg 05810267-505A-47DE-A465-6B2F5476EFB3.jpeg . RST Adventure boots, Knox summer gloves and a bell race star helmet complete the ensemble. My partner wears an Olympia summer jacket, Rev-it summer gloves, Aldi aramid jeans, RST boots and a Fly racing adventure helmet.
    95Monster likes this.
  2. Wherever I may roam

Wherever I may roam Because I can, that's why

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an ok setup.
    I would try to get maximum protection while keeping it as airy as possible, which you seem to have achieved.
    I'm currently on Java where it is hot&humid, making my way home to the Netherlands and because I will be riding in all sorts of conditions I'm wearing a Klim Carlsbad suit. I can conclude that double layer Goretex is something you don't want in this climate, I'm sweating my nuts off. Too bad "guaranteed to keep you dry" also seems to be a bit of a myth...

For rain there are 3 options I think:
    1: rain suit (some pretty decent ones to be found locally I hear)
    2: wait for it to stop, drink lots of coffee
    3: don't care, get wet, unless in the mountains it's not that cold anyway
    ukAdventurer likes this.
  3. ukAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Good advice. I've got an Oxford Rainseal jacket and pants. They aren't breathable at all but pretty waterproof. I haven't needed to use them much because we are in the dry season. I did use the rain jacket in the mountains but really needed the pants too. I got soaked from the waist down but it was my fault.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/prod...ord-rainseal-jacket-and-trousers-waterproofs/

(mine is hi-viz yellow)

I've also owned many Goretex garments and it's not the great for bikers but pretty good for hikers where you really need the breathability. The locals wear ponchos but they are wearing shorts and flipflops so that's not how I want to roll.

Your trip sounds pretty amazing. I've been to Indonesia and liked it but I didn't ride there. Oh well, one day.
  4. Farang Paul

Farang Paul A Late Convert

Oddometer:
    Riding in Thailand and many parts of Asia we get serious rain - stair-rod rain.
    Every pant and jacket combo I tried failed to keep me dry and always let water in at the waist. Now I use a one piece suit from Revit - quick to put on (though not easy to get out of) and very effective at keeping me dry. (my riding group refer to it as my full body condom)
    I wear an Alpinestars mesh jacket with Revit mesh pants, Daytona Goretex boots and a forcefield balaclava so that my helmet lining stays dry and lasts much longer. (Airoh carbon-Kevlar helmet).
    All items purchased here in Thailand
    ukAdventurer likes this.
  5. ukAdventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s some great gear. It’s nice that you can buy Euro brands locally. I have to order by mail and wait 2 weeks. There are few brands available in Vietnam and next to none in Mongolia. Vietnam has monsoonal rains in the season but only for 1 to 2 hours per day. When I was commuting in Saigon I just got soaked so I wore swimming clothes under a poncho. I’d take my work clothes in a plastic bag under the seat. Now I’m in Nha Trang and it’s been dry. The only way to test my fear is go up into the mountains where you’re in the clouds.

A one piece suit sounds like the best option for longer tours where you don’t have to get in and out of it frequently. The pants to waist of a 2 piece are always going to be a weak spot for water ingress.
  6. Farang Paul

Oddometer:
    Actually the one-piece is better all round:
    Quicker to get into, which is when you need it as the rain has just started. Slower to get out of, which can be done at leisure as the rain is over.
    Takes up less room in the luggage as smaller than a top/bottom combo.
    I use mine for all journeys.
    ukAdventurer likes this.
  7. ukAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Good point. Oxford Rainseal makes a one piece suit. As I said, I’ve got their 2 piece, so If my 2 piece suit fails on my next rainy ride, I’ll look into their one piece. The fabric is waterproof but not breathable which is ok. I’m not gonna hike in it.

9EB14528-66DB-4367-80F9-B4C0A6B5C249.png
  8. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    I,ve worn a variety of gear' whatever you're comfortable in. Sometimes wearing wet weather gear is not beneficial as you end up just as wet from sweat and overheating. If you get caught in a shower you dry out pretty quickly while riding and if there's a downpour pull over and wait it out, there's plenty to shelter under but it's only rain and is very refreshing. As for safety that's something you have to weigh up I normally have a vented jacket and a light weight waterproof jacket and pants to put over if I must ride in the rain. Here's a few pic's of what I,ve worn.

Attached Files:

ukAdventurer likes this.
  9. foo

foo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Top: Knox Urban Pro. It's an armoured shirt with abrasion resistance. Cooler than any of my mesh jackets.
    Legs: Mesh things from Klim.
    Hands: Knox
    Feet: Bike trainers from John Doe, reasonably waterproof and comfortable off the bike. Longer trips a pair of Altbergs.
    Rain: Cheap waterproof stuff. None of the breathable kit works in the tropics. I did test the theory that you don't need rain gear and I now always carry it.
    ukAdventurer likes this.
  10. ukAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice choices. I'm familiar with the Urban Pro. I bought the non-abrasion resistant Knox Action Pro and got some good use out of it in Mongolia. Obviously, I wore abrasion resistant textiles and leathers over the top. For the tropics, the Bull-it airflow suit is better. I considered the Knox Zephyr Pro but it was out of my budget.
  11. crazy cat

crazy cat Crazy cat

Oddometer:
    I run a tour company in Vietnam and I wear short boots. Kevlar jeans, airflow jacket and a $5 Vietnamese poncho that I throw away after the rain.
    gavo likes this.
  12. Farang Paul

Oddometer:
    Tried the cheap poncho route but if you go at any reasonable speed they blow apart. Fine for a trip to 7/11; not much use on tour.
  13. ukAdventurer

Oddometer:
    do you know where you can buy good brands of mc gear in Vietnam? When I lived in Saigon there were some shops for euro helmets but I can’t remember seeing apparel (jackets and pants).
  14. crazy cat

crazy cat Crazy cat

Oddometer:
    Not anywhere in vn but you could try on line eg dragon jeans/ixon jacket ect .if you are there in June or in the south in oct you will need full wets .october2013 Hoi Ann got 2 mts of rain in3 days.you cannot ride in that! Most other times you can go for coffee while the storm passes
  15. ukAdventurer

Oddometer:
    do you mean buy online from abroad? If so, how’s the import duty/tax? I’ve lived in VN (on and off) for 3 years and never bought anything online from overseas because I heard the taxes are high. Whereas in Mongolia where I usually live, it’s cheap to ship there from the USA ($10 per kilo) and no taxes at all for personal shopping. Unfortunately, I can’t get back to Mongolia until who knows when.
  16. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    a good mesh jacket with additional protection at the shoulders and elbows, matching pants ,bought the tourmaster pants in the US, frog toggs work good in asia and breathe well. mesh tee shirt, sports shorts under it all. I like my Sidi canyon gortex boots.
    may look for better ce pads.
    revised:
    India looks like the gear has a good choice in locally made gear, prices look very good.
    good mesh back gloves, seem to last one season.hjc is17 helmet vents well.
    you my sweat alittle in at the lights but once moving like ac with the fan on high.

To add, I have used hawiian shirts, 75% silk, 25% linen, they roll a look rough by stay cool. tasso elba island brand , buying online are reasonably priced. Each time used the same shirt for 3-4 months. 2 -22l givis and a top case for 2up.
    ukAdventurer likes this.