1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What town to change tires

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by bigphish, Feb 17, 2012.

1. bigphish

bigphish Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer:
    Wandering WNC and sometimes in Costa Rica
    Hey all,
    planning stages for my great northern adventure. Leaving Wisconsin, will do both Dempster and Dalton then on to Anchorage to pick up GF for a week of sightseeing before I make my way home solo. Question is what would be the logical town to do the tire switch? It would seem Dawson city is right in the middle. I will mostly likely want to get back on street orientated rubber by the time I reach Anchorage. Thanks for the advice

Oh yeah, riding a DL 1000
  2. WEE4ME

WEE4ME Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Honda dealer in Whitehorse is where i got my tiers changed. The town is a neat place to hang out while waiting. I called ahead and they where waiting for me. This a good place to camp you can walk into town from there. Oh yeah, I ride DL650
    http://www.robertservicecampground.com/
  3. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Wasilla, AK: The Abby

Anchorage: Alaska Leather

Fairbanks: Adventure Cycle Works

All are kind to travelers and ADV Riders
  4. bigphish

Oddometer:
    Whitehorse may be good but will I eat up too much knobbie before i really need it ? Perhaps Fairbanks is better. Purchase tires do most of my foul road riding, switch back to my other tires and continue on to Anchorage
    Thanks again for any input
  5. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a question? Can you change your own rubber? If so, buy the tires where ever and then change them in Dawson yourself. The dempster isn't that far from Dawson City and carry your street tires until you're done with the gravel section of your trip. That is what I am planning on doing. You must be able to change a tire if you are planning on doing these far out roads imho.:freaky
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    run it the other way around... stay on pave with street tires to Anch/Wasiili or Fbks, do the dirt parts with knobs on the way back. You can usually get 3000 miles out of a rear TKC, the front will be fine. YMMV

no tires in Dawson unless you make a deal with somebody like Dick to hold some sent up from Whitehorse.

you can contact AK bike shops & have tires waiting...
  7. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    If running from Wisconsin, I would be on either Tourances or my preferred Annokees, with a change to TKC's in Dawson at Dick's. Arrange shipment of tires from Whitehorse to Dawson to coincide with your dates, Dicks rates are reasonable:wink:
    Run the hell out of the Knobbies for the Dempster and Alaskan portion of the trip with a change back to street skins in Whitehorse on your way back down, or point of entry if floating the Marine Slab...
  8. Brendon@TMS

Brendon@TMS The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer:
    Don't forget about us...;)

Anchorage: The Motorcycle Shop, contact info is in my sig
  9. bigphish

Oddometer:
    Yes I can change my own tires, just no wanting to haul tires around for any portion of this trip. I don't mind giving the local shops some business as well. Also great idea to run it backwards. Maybe get to Anchorage and tak a day or two to decompress and mingle with the local riff raff. Change tires head north, come back change tires back and pick up GF. Maybe I will consider the marine slab for part of the way back as well. Any thoughts on that trip? What about flying GF back and from where?
    Thanks again
  10. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Here's another idea especially if you're planning on D2D on Thurs/Fri June 21-22.

Buy your more dirt oriented tires from Mike @ The Abbey or Barb @ Alaska Leather and they'll have them waiting for you in Dawson City. Do the change over, ride the Dempster and the Dalton, and then pick up your old road tires from them when you get to Wasilla or Anchorage.

And here's a thread some of us locals wrote on riding our ferry system in Southeast AK: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306558

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  11. subybaja

subybaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might want to ship something up- the selection here is pretty limited! :lol3
  12. dirtybike

dirtybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you considered installing Heidenau K60's before you leave home, and you won't need to change tires?
  13. dirtybike

dirtybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But read the forums first, they may not be the right tires for you...
  14. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    It looks like me and maybe Doug form Alaska Leather will be doing the tire taxi thing for some D2D riders I will have to limit it the old vw bus can only haul so many its old.:gerg but I don't think there will be that many that will want them brought in. Like I said before I will be there in Dawson a week before and week after to help out fixing bikes tire changing and some day riding for me.:1drink
  15. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    well there ya go...
  16. Yukoner2

Yukoner2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please change them in Dawson or Fairbanks. I am getting old and I hurt,:evil, so don't change them in Whitehorse.I usually change about 220-240 tires per year and I am suffering from lots of old age ailments that take all winter to recover from,
    I am hopeing to make D2D this year and that means takeing a couple days off. That will be nice since the last time I took days off from work was in December 2006.. Jon AKA Dorf
  17. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    thats why I use a tire machine (because Iam old and broken down) tire spoons are for young guys and those who haven't learned the easy way yet. even with a machine its hard on the back.
  18. bigphish

Oddometer:
    I sympathize with you old guys as I am an old guy as well. You know this getting old is not for pussy's. I think I will just look up the guys at Adv Cycle Works and get it done. About 3,000 miles on the dirt I figure. My only question is now will the new Tourance rear last the 8,000 plus miles of the paved part of trip?
    Sorry I will not be able to make the dust to Dawson. I am sure I will meet some good folks along the way anyhow.
    And thanks AK Duc for the ferry thread. I think some day ferry trips and rides around SW Alaska and the Kenai would be cool
  19. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems to me there is a lack of awareness of Team Pterodactyl HQ in Dawson City. I have a seriously equipped garage with commercial tire machine, bike lift etc. Have been having tires shipped here for years and have a good stock of useable used tires for emergencies, hell two guys did the Dempster on some when theirs didn't arrive on time.

Friar Mike is going to be here before and after the D2D, hanging out at the shop and helping the peeps out.

As Fite would say, JUST SAYIN!
  20. bigphish

Oddometer:
    Yep, Lack of awarness on my part at least. Thanks Dick for the heads up. I will explore the tire shipping thing.