1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What town to change tires

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by bigphish, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I can do D2D, I plan on mounting a set Mitas knobbies on my Tiger. A dude got 4000 miles on a GSA with those.
  2. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    I know many riders who have done that on TKC's.
  3. AKTREADs

AKTREADs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With a set of Heidenau's you could easily doubled the mileage.
  4. CalgaryKLR

CalgaryKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was going to mention Dick, in Dawson, however he stepped in just in time.

Thanks for your help when we were in your back yard Dick, hope you enjoyed the wine.

Any other Kenda big blocks seperating that you've seen lately?

Virgil
  5. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    Bigphish, what Friar Mike is offering is the way to go. Best option for Dawson, 'cause he can do it, and he will have the rubber there. I also agree with the sentiment that you ouight to know how to change the rubber and patch a tube yourself out there when youi are far from home. I had to do it 3 times on the Dalton, just wierd bad luck, and would still be there if I had not the stuff to do it. Carry a tube or 2 for each end. Good luck.
  6. TSD

TSD Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Bigphish - I am struggling with the same dilemma. Don't want to carry tires from Phila, but want the flexibility to change routes and timing based on weather, distances and interests. Did some comparison and found that the Whitehorse Honda dealer is about 30-40% more expensive, but is strategically located for Canol Rd. or D2D. Not a big deal considering the whole trip. Bottom line for me as I am heading to D2D, is to get Friar Mike to bring the tires up to D2D (or ship them) and get the TKCs mounted up there.

Was also thinking about just putting on the Heidenau tires in Phila and running them the whole 12,000 miles - as some claim you can get from them...

Sounds like weather is a big factor for the Dempster or Haul Rd - if the weather window looks good, I want the option to make the run for Prudhoe Bay rather than slogging 500 miles in the rain.

OTOH - Once up there, a 500 mile side trip to get tires may not be a bad way to spend a few days...

Just my 2 cents...
  7. TSD

TSD Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    What about Trails End BMW, Fairbanks?
  8. friar mike

Oddometer:
    The one thing that has to be understood is tire wear you will in no way get the milage up here that you get down in the states our roads are tire eaters. Most of you will be running heaver then you normally would these roads here are chip seal or as we call it shit seal its like running on .00 grit sand paper it just wares out tires in no time so do not use the milage you know unless its from times you do rides up here because it will strand you like it does many others every year just ask Dick up in Dawson how many come bagging for tires just something to get them to the next town.
  9. TheSeeker

TheSeeker Slingin' Steel

Oddometer:
    Hey we're here in Fairbanks to help you all with your tire changes as well. We carry Tourances, TKC's, and Heidenau's in stock! :deal

All the people mentioned here are great people as well. Friar Mike, Dawson Dick, Adventure Cycleworks all great people!

We'd love to have your business here at Outpost Alaska/ Trail's End BMW in Fairbanks, Alaska. If you are going to have your tires changed in Dawson City, have one of the other blokes bring them up for you because I'll be riding!! :clap:clap

Outpost Alaska/Trail's End BMW
    1450 Karen Way
    Fairbanks, AK 99709
    (907) 456-3265
    trailsendbmw@gmail.com

Cheers,
    Justin
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i'd change tires in Watson Lake, the miles work out perfectly for the Tourance/TKC swap. i'd also ride the Campbell with those nice fresh TKCs, turn directly up the Dempster, cross the TOW, and on to the Dalton. by the time you get back to Watson Lake, you will have run roughly 4000 miles on the TKCs and the rear will be shot, while the front might still have life. re mount the Tourances, ride home. the rear should be good for 8000 miles, and you'll get home on that set. ride the Tourances the additional miles into Alaska, you probably won't get home on that set. then what?

i've shipped sets of TKCs to Watson Lake twice, no problems. 13,500 miles from the east coast using that tire change strategy, one set of each.
  11. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:

However, there are lots of attractive women in Anchorage. All are married, or just bat shit crazy, or both. :lol3 Look like I'll be importing the GF from Colombia. Its been a cold, snowy winter. :1drinkBut, you'll have fun for a couple days in downtown ANC. Just remember to bring your spare liver. :lol3
  12. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Won der Full!
  13. TSD

TSD Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Jdrocks - Were did you ship them to in Watson Lake? Air Force Lodge? Assume you mounted them yourself there? Was originally thinking the same strategy... Makes Campbell/Canol doable.
  14. Joevano

Joevano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm making the same trip from Minnesota. Was planning on running Mefo's and notice nobody mentioned those.
  15. TheSeeker

TheSeeker Slingin' Steel

Oddometer:

MEFO Super Explorers are essentially the same tread pattern as Heidenau K60 Scouts. I've even heard rumors of them coming out of the same factory in Germany. I ran MEFO's on my KTM950ADV in Central and South America and loved them. Heidenau makes K60's in KTM sizes now too. If any of you KTM'ers out there need Heidenau's I can bring them in for you in an 18" rim size. Drop me an email at: trailsendbmw@gmail.com

We also stock Metzeler, Pirelli, Dunlop (for the H-D guys) and have the ability to special order about anything you would like. (Except Colombian girlfriends and various other Colombian products tend to get caught up in Customs) :freaky
    **(Unless you are CrashMaster and happen to have your own cargo jet.)** :lol3
  16. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Mefo's were the big thing here a few years ago now you don't here a thing.
  17. bigphish

bigphish Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer:
    Wandering WNC and sometimes in Costa Rica
    Attractive but married, bat shit crazy women, spare liver's. And I thought just the ride was going to be an adventure
  18. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Attractive women how can you tell?:huh up here they all ware too many cloths.
  19. Wandering Nomad

Wandering Nomad Obsessive Traveller

Oddometer:
    Justin,

I'll give you a plug for those that haven't been there yet.
    I brought the Wing up there a couple of years ago and I have to tell you I was impressed with facility and the service. Nice folks as well. Very accommodating.
    I had the new bike serviced and new set of shoes strapped on. (Damn Elite's didn't live up the hype) And the wash job was a pleasant surprise.

I'm coming back this summer on the GSA. I would guess we will meet again as it will need to be re-shod before I start up the road to the north.

This will be my third trip up and I already as a kid waiting on Christmas Day. :rofl

Regards,

Lewis
  20. TheSeeker

TheSeeker Slingin' Steel

Oddometer:

Look forward to meeting you Lewis. Thanks for the kind words. :freaky If you'd like to get some specific tires set aside send me a PM or drop me an email at: trailsendbmw@gmail.com

Give me a heads up when you'll be coming through so hopefully I'll be able to free up some time and get out for a ride with you. Cheers.

-Justin