What was your dumbest mistake, and how did it turn out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlueRidgeBandit, Jun 10, 2019.

1. BlueRidgeBandit

BlueRidgeBandit Taylor R.

Oddometer:
    Everything I know about wrenching (not much) I've learned by trial and error on my 2006 KLR 650. I've had it since 2013, and there have been some moments. The worst was during a time I was commuting frequently on it, and decided to get new tires put on. I pulled the wheels to save money at the shop, got the tires on and remounted. A few days (and probably over a hundred miles) later I was leaving work when I noticed the castellated nut on the rear axle was STRAIGHT UP GONE. I don't know if I had messed up putting the cotter pin in, or never put the nut back at all (never found it). I caught a ride home and ordered a new one, bike sat at work a few days - no worse for the error. I shudder to think how badly that could have ended though. Lessons learned; 1) finish the job while you're working on it so as to not lose your place. And 2) thorough inspections when finished.

What's your dumbest wrenching (or riding or whatever) mistake with a bike? How did it turn out?
    gonzomup and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Filed under Whatever:
    I sold my first DR650, under the mistaken belief that I needed a fast sport tourer. The STs -- two of them -- came and went before I finally realized that what I really wanted is what I already had: a simple and reliable dual sport. And so I purchased my second [and current] DR650.

I've resolved not to make the same mistake again.
    local1, gonzomup, cal08 and 2 others like this.
  3. BlueRidgeBandit

Oddometer:
    Several other bikes have come and gone, but my KLR is sticking around until one of us dies lol
  4. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Towing a boat, light turns yellow, not going to make it through. Hit the brakes, stop in time. As I stop the ABS cycles through and jams. Pedal nearly on the floor, pull off the road, play with some stuff, all I have is the right rear brake on the truck. boat has no brakes. 8 tires on the ground, only 1 has functional braking and that is a little questionable. 60 miles of town and highway and I was home, put stuff away, fixed the ABS and all was good. Missed going to the lake that day.
  5. mokosai

mokosai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of my first attempts at motorcycle service was an oil change on a KLX250S, the night before I needed to bring the bike to a friend's house so we could load it on a trailer and pull it to Colorado.

Turns out I didn't change the oil. What I did was dump the coolant, add oil, then get on to ride it to my friend's house with no coolant and double oil.

My wife was going to follow me and bring me home after I dropped the bike off. After about 5 miles I pulled over because the overheat light was on. She pulled over behind me and said, "did you see all that smoke? I could hardly see anything!" I let it cool off for 15 minutes, then rode it the two or three more miles to get to his house and loaded it on the trailer.

I brought new oil and coolant to Colorado, dumped all the oil, added both fluids. That bike ran just fine for the next couple years that I owned it.
  6. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first car was my dad's hand-me-down 1971 Ford Pinto. Battery went dead so purchased new and installed myself (I was 16 years old at the time). Knew the terminals were on the top-front of the previous battery so installed new one the same way, not noticing that the terminals were reversed if I installed the battery in the same manner. Hooked it up and watched the wire insulation melt from the battery to the a couple components under the hood. Didn't affect the starter or alternator (this was before there was too much electrical on a car!). Replaced the harness and all was well, but that was definitely a learning experience.
  7. nhbubba

nhbubba Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer:
    Racing an SV. Bike is running rough in practice. Pit in. Pop the tank up. Checking the terminals on the coils. Rear cylinder is hot. I grab an oily rag that was at hand, place it on the head. Bam! Insulation between me and the rear jug. Tighten the terminals, slap the tank back and we’re done. 30 min later I’m on track and see corner workers black flagging me. ME! WTF! I pull off track and a worker sets on me “you are on fire” “what?” “FIRE!” “What?” “FIRE MUTHER EFFER!!!”

Yeah. Turns out it was just smoking. But still. Earned a dose of that dry powder extinguisher. Couple of new crank vents and a good wash later we were good to go. But geez man!
  8. BlueRidgeBandit

Oddometer:
    That is a *quality* mess-up story. Glad the bike recovered!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  9. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got married the first time.
    Still paying for that one.
  10. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everybodys made that mistake.
    Amphib, Rockred, DRZ RIDER and 4 others like this.
  11. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    left a rag in an engine I built up. it would run great for 30 seconds, then the oil light would come on. apparently the rag would suck up & stick to the pickup screen, then release when not running. I thought it was the pump, but obvious when I dropped the pan. didn't have to pull the engine though. and it wasn't that big a rag either, about 6" square

theres probably dumber stuff but my self protection systems won't let them surface
    Maggot12, ACR, brgsprint and 4 others like this.
  12. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are to many for me to pick from.
  13. nhbubba

nhbubba Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer:
    I could fill a book.

Nearly new/used DL650. Pull plastics & tank to inspect the air cleaner before the first ride in spring. Pop a bit of paper-towel in the intake port to keep anything from falling in. Inspect. Re-assemble. Power on. Throttle body cycles.. sounds funny. Whatever. Send it.

3 miles from the barn the EFI light goes off. Circle back. Dealer mode. She's effed, never should have bought it.. is there a warranty or do we just push it off a cliff?!

Pull plastics & tank. Separate air box from throttle bodies. Yup. F#%king paper towel half in the throat of the throttle body. Remove. Re-assemble. Nother test ride. Runs fine. 50k miles later sell bike to a bud for cheap.

Me and rags. I just don't know...
  14. 23103a

23103a not n00b

Oddometer:
    Done that before. I remembered after starting the bike up after a valve clearance check that the shop towels were still in the throttle bodies.

Did an oil change on my old 636 once, started it up... oil light not going off, must be an air bubble in there. Woops, missed the 'add oil' step. It ran fine for many thousands of miles after that, so 10 seconds of dry running didn't hurt it too bad.
    SmittyBlackstone and nhbubba like this.
  15. KevinP65

KevinP65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to make a 3" nut. I bored a 3" hole. Ah, threads. I had no shop experience and had been an apprentice for a few months. I did learn a lot from that bit of stupidity; but, you never learn enough, lol.
  16. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    trusted a shop in Tampa to install tires.

they didn't balance them, and completely left out the rear caliper mounting bolts.

picked up the bike (without inspecting) and rode to work the next morning.

going over train tracks i heard a awful clattery noise. the caliper was bouncing around against the wheel/swingarm. thankfully it was on a brake arm, so it didn't stop the rear wheel.

dumbest mistake ever: trust a shop
  17. cal08

cal08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  18. BlueRidgeBandit

Oddometer:
    I feel that man
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way too many to list.

My first major mistake was when I was 16. I had an Opel Manta that had a slow leak in the radiator. I got lazy one day going to work and didn't check it. 30 miles into my 40 mile commute to a truck stop in the middle of nowhere where I was a short order cook the car overheated and cracked the head. It took 2 hours in 100+ degree heat to catch a ride to where I could call home, and 4 more hours before my dad got off work and got home to get the call that I was stuck. Long day, missed work, got in trouble for not calling in, and cost me $300 to fix a car I paid $200 for, and had to drive my mom's 64 Buick that got like 10mpg for two weeks.

[​IMG]

There have been many more, some dumber, some more expensive.
  20. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Helped my best friend in high school change the transmission oil in his VW diesel pickup. He was a mechnical dolt and wound up pouring two quarts of oil into the timing inspection port on the transmission. After we wrapped up the fluid change and congratulated ourselves on a job well done, he started up the vehicle only to find that it would not move... The clutch was completely saturated in oil!