What was your dumbest mistake, and how did it turn out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlueRidgeBandit, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Hennepinboy

Hennepinboy Adventure Eater

Oddometer:
    Not my mistake but a high school friend. In high school we would go to drive-in movies fairly often. My friend Larry had a 64 Studebaker Lark 4 door. Larry got this idea that if he cut the X support behind the rear seat out of the car people could hid in the trunk while entering the drive-in. Larry went through a bunch of hacksaw blades cutting out the support. When done Larry tried to close the back seat doors, the car had sagged and the latches would not line up. With the help of a jack Larry got the doors closed only to have the doors open when driving. The car was un-drive-able after the modification.
    Larry with his second car at the drive-in. While making out with his girl friend the windshield would fog up. Larry decided that a burning can of Sterno would keep the windshield clear. Lite the Sterno and placed it on the dash, Larry's windshield instantly broke into a million pieces. The cost of a junk yard windshield was more that the value of the car, car number two to the junk yard.
    Rockred and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. Andiflip

Andiflip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a mini bike in the early 70's. Old flathead Brigs engine and centrifugal clutch.. valves were getting tight and leaking and would no idle so kept turning up the idle screw to keep it running.. I was a first year apprentice mechanic so i figured i could fix it easily.. head off, valves out lapped valves and seats and ground valve stems so had proper clearance. Jammed it all back together and gave it a pull, fired right up and took off like a raped ape straight into the garage door and nearly right through it ,, head gasket 2.00 dollars, garage door and track 300 dollars,, Minbike 50 dollars..
  3. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    Bought a $700 s10. Was told by orig owner it burned a little oil. Bought it changed the fluids. Set old oil with old tractor oil in bed of truck. One week or so latter, I'm going down the interstate. Dash lights flash, truck starts losing power and comes to a stop on a small incline. I pop the hood, the heat is over whelming. I touch the oil dip stick and nearly burn a hole in my finger...it was glowing red. I then take oil from bed...pour it, clumps and all in the engine. Drive it rest of the way to 1st period. Never changed the oil again, just poured old oil from tractors and equip from the farm into it by the gallons every couple weeks. It ran for 5-6yrs beyond that. Used nearly as much oil and gas at every fill up.
    SmittyBlackstone, X5- and JimVonBaden like this.
  4. rsuarez

rsuarez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Strip the carbon in these new spark plug cables thinking the Kevlar is the conductor. This was done during a swap of all the ignition of a bike. Obviously I went over all possible stuff for days until I figured out it was the cables.

Done twice.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    What was your dumbest mistake, and how did it turn out?

Her name was Terri. I don't want to talk about it.