What Weight Flyrod?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Zekester, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Zekester

Zekester Liquid Hot Magma Core

Oddometer:
    So I'm planning on heading up into Alaska this June/July and figured I'd bring along a flyrod for the occasional fresh water rainbow trout dinner. A few questions: Is there a decent amount of streamside campgrounds on inland routes? Will a 5-weight be big enough? Are grayling any good to eat? Thanks.
  2. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Make sure you bring money to pay for a over priced out of state fishing license:deal for me grayling are the best eatting of the trout type fish. I don't know flyrods very well but I did catch a 10 pound rainbow once but not on a flyrod.
  3. rcompton

rcompton I am not Iron Man

Oddometer:
    I think a 5-wt will work, as long as you stick to the smaller and feeder streams. In the bigger streams/rivers them Alaska fish get big, and feisty! You can overweight the rod a little with a 6 # line and a strong leader and have a fairly bomber system that should get fish into the frying pan without too much fuss......
  4. zolli650

zolli650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good advice. There are plenty of road side streams with trout and grayling that can be caught on a 5wt. Sometimes these same streams have kings and reds in them too. If you think you might get the fever for some bigger fish you might want to be prepared..... but I've got 9 fishing rods so.......:lol3
  5. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Zeke,
    You gonna catch us some dinner?
    :clap