What Works, What doesn't?

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by pilot, Jul 12, 2015.

1. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just put the computer down for a while and, when I opened it back up, BANG, I got almost fifty notifications. Thank you, gentlemen, for your most able assistance!

Mike
    plumer1kt and ian408 like this.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I haven't gotten regular notices of threads I'm subscribed to since the switch over to XenForo. Threads drop off the radar unless I have recently posted in them. This never happened under the old software.
  3. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    And you're only now reporting this? Have you tried any of the things we have posted in an effort to resolve the issue? If not, can you?
  4. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I'm referring to the alert function in the forum, I don't do email subscriptions. What would you recommend I do to resolve it?
  5. ian408

Oddometer:
    Same thing.
  6. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that worked.
    ian408 likes this.
  7. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
    The SSL cert is expired.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  8. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just noticed the same myself .... oops, someone forgot or an email went missing
  9. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
    Someone finally woke up CertBot.
  10. SpecialKev

SpecialKev IT Screwer Upper Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The certbot config somehow got botched with the server transfer. All good now.
    MrKiwi and ZoomerP like this.
  11. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Two weeks ago I upgraded the OS on my Macbook from Yosemite to Big Sur. Everything works OK when using Firefox for Mac, Chrome and Safari except for this one oddball thing. Ignored Content is being displayed ONLY on Firefox for Mac and ONLY with Black Responsive (Orange.) Revo and Default hides Ignored Content just like usual.

Pretty obscure glitch. Not looking for a fix. Just making a report.
  12. ian408

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report. It may help others using FF. You may also want to check FF updates as this may be addressed in a future update.
  13. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
  14. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can we go back to permanent thread names? Some inmates change thread titles every time there is a news update. Used to be only a mod should change the thread names. Maybe only allow changes in the first day or week to correct spelling.
  15. ian408

Oddometer:
    A change in thread title is usually indicative of some change in status. For example, an item that's sold might be changed to "sold" if it's not done in a tag. That's an upside for anyone reading the title.

The down side to locking edits is that every time someone wants to change the thread title, they'd generate a request to a moderator requiring a mod to make the the change. Anyway, if you're subscribed to a thread, nothing should change for you when the title is updated, you'll still receive notifications.
    Anders- and MrKiwi like this.
  16. ian408

Oddometer:
    Watch the potty mouth please.

I looked at your complaint earlier. I need to find out more about the process of adding attachments. At this point, I think it has something to do with timing. You might be exiting the upload after the file is transferred but before it's associated with your post.

As with most things, if we can perform a test and everything works, there's nothing to fix on our end-at least nothing we can see. I hope you can understand that.
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was civil the first 3 times I reported a problem. We had a long email going for a couple of weeks. I was told there was nothing wrong with the forum software. I'm tired. It's been this way for over a year. I can't post more than one picture to a post, and half the time, that one picture has the permissions issues, which tells me the software is broken. It's very obvious that the software doesn't work correctly all the time, but they don't care. Every time I have reported the problem I get met with absolutely no discussion, just a simple "It's your fault".
  18. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm tired. I am sick of you guys telling me that the problem is on my end, when it's very obvious the problem is with the software.

No, I didn't exit out of anything prematurely, and if I edit my post, and try to attach the picture, it shows the picture right there in the attachment screen. I can select it again, or try to upload a new one, and I get the same error.

Every time I have reported a post like this, I don't get to talk to anyone. Report just gets closed with a generic "It's your fault". I never have been able to work with someone willing to actually resolve the issue. I just get told it's my fault. It's not my fault. I don't run the forum software.
  19. ian408

Oddometer:
    If that's how you want to handle it, I can do one of two things. Close your report again or ban you for your attitude.

I'll offer you a third option. Lose the attitude and I'll help you.
    Mikemm and RTinNC like this.
  20. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never been able to embed an image in a post after it has posted - during an Edit. I assumed that the forum software didn't allow adding an image during an Edit entry, and haven't worried about it since.

One way around this is to quote your original post, remove the quote tags, embed the image, and Post it. The original post can then be deleted.
    MrKiwi likes this.