What Works, What doesn't?

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by pilot, Jul 12, 2015.

1. sh4kes

sh4kes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My initial comment is to do with font size / typeface / colors. (I find the font size on the default theme too large and "hard"to read.) Some forums have an option at the top of the page (or under user preferences) to adjust the font size up or down one scale? I'd assume there'd be something similar kicking around in Xenfero? (I also note the font size for regular replies is rather large, and font size in the quoted text is quite small in comparison...

Colors and typeface are a bit harder to please the masses, so maybe we'll all just have to hold out until additional themes are added.
  2. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    Okay, so I noticed something this morning while browsing on my iPhone.

I've been complaining about the Tahoma font you're using on the site being difficult to read (others have also mentioned this a time or two :lol3), but the font on my iPhone's version of the page (using Safari, not any specialized app) is a different font. It's infinitely more readable, although for the life of me I can't figure out which one it is except to say it's a Serif font, whereas Tahoma from what I see is Sans Serif. Does the mobile version of this site have a default setting that's not Tahoma, or does it default to whatever your device's default is? :ear

ETA: A quick screen cap:
    [​IMG]

ETA2: Wow, I say "default" a lot... :lol3 :thumb
  3. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Instead of clicking on user name and having one of the options "FIND MORE POSTS BY XXX" you have to click avatar and "GO TO PROFILE" where you can select "RECENT ACTIVITY." Like so:

[​IMG]
  4. GypsyWriter

Oddometer:
    Another thing (gah, I'm such a critic! :p ):

Under the above tab "Resources", there's Watched Categories and Watched Resources - can we pretty-please add in Watched Threads too to make it easier to access subscribed threads?
  5. Mike.Gail

Mike.Gail Intentionally Blank

Oddometer:
    Watched Threads is under Forums just left of Resources.
  6. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    I just noticed some niggling little issue. At the time I made that post, Reddog's post was on page 22 of 23. My post first appeared on the bottom of page 22. I clicked next page over to 23 and there my post was at the bottom of the page as it should have been. Back to 22 and of course it was gone. At first I thought my reply was simply appearing in the Reply Box, but AFAICT, that's not the case.

Kind of like heavy picture threads in vBulletin where it shows a last page that really isn't there. Totally no big deal.
  7. GypsyWriter

Oddometer:
    I think that's deliberate, it "shows" you posted and any other new posts on the page you're on so you can read them, even when you're only on page 6 of 567. I like it better this way - before, with the old site, it went straight to your post and bypassed any others that might have been posted while you were typing yours.
  8. dlearl476

Oddometer:

Here's what I notice. On both my phone and iPad the browser font seems fuzzy. I don't know if it will be apparent in these screenshots but here it is, contrasted with the clarity, focus, and readability of Tapatalk.

[​IMG][​IMG]

btw! For those of you who don't understand why so many of us were clamoring for Tapatalk, those contrasting landscape views on an iPad might help. IMO, an infinitely better experience vs browser based forums.

Edited to add: for some reason, that screenshot of the Tapatalk page has fuzzy font too. On my iPad, the font is crisp and clean.
  9. Reddog

Reddog Doug@sea level...

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  10. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  11. GypsyWriter

Oddometer:
    I'm on my iPad now and everything is crisp and clear, yet still not Tahoma. I wonder if my settings override the page defaults...

FAKE EDIT: Nope, not on my end. Wonder why the iOS devices don't show Tahoma font for me, while my iMac does.
  12. Hog Rider

Hog Rider The Professor Supporter

Oddometer:
    It might be obvious, but how do I send a PM now ?

That has been the only issue so far for me ..
  13. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    i'm not finding threads that i started, there used to be a list, same trying to find other inmates list of threads....where is this now?
  14. TeepS

TeepS Full Circle Rider

Oddometer:
    Help, can't set avatar. It worked before.
    Where did the forum and/or thread search go?
    Can't load a photo either...

Are there new operating instructions for the forum?
  15. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    Which made it a PITA to go back and find your place. I agree. I like it, just wondered if it was intentional or unintended consequences. :lol3
  16. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    You might want to spend some quality time with the FAQs. A lot of these questions have been answered 10+ times.

But PMs are now called Conversations. You can either click on someone's avatar and select "START CONVERSATION" or go to your profile and select the same.

[​IMG]
  17. BvilleBud

BvilleBud Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice job guys, I like the look. Can I ask a really stupid question? Where is the search button? I would have searched this thread, but.. well you know...

Thanks again!
  18. frostbitevinnie

frostbitevinnie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not seeing thread tools. Not seeing my subscribed threads. Also, the replies to threads have no date or time. Thanks and the new look looks good!
    MargaritaMotoress likes this.
  19. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Okay, Big Showstopper. Many attachments did not transfer over, so we are missing things like pictures in many timeless threads.

We are going to start a big process of copying them over and attaching them to the right posts on the new server. Don't have an ETA, but working on it.
    Boarder06, dlearl476 and Mr_McBride like this.
  20. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    Asked and answered over and over on every page of this thread.