1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What Works, What doesn't?

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by pilot, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I save the web page on my iPhone as an icon, the icon says Xenforo. It would nice if it could be saved with a site-specific icon.

https://flic.kr/p/wyMPy6
  2. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had no idea. thanks for pointing out that nugget.
  3. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    After using the new site for a few weeks, there are a few things that I miss from the old software:

1. I don't see any indication next to the OP's avatar. Once a few pages in on some advice thread, it was helpful to have that so we knew when the OP posted new info. I often just scan over the other posts.

2. On my Android, I cannot see any information about each inmate, such as their location. I hadn't realized how much that makes a difference to how I respond. If a guy from the Cliffs of Moher wants advice about California, I might suggest the mountains rather than the Pacific Coast cliffs.

3. It takes an extra step to navigate my past posts. There used to be a drop down menu in the avatar that would take me straight to my past posts. Not a big deal.
  4. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    James Adams made an add-on for chrome and firefox that does this. You can find it in his thread in this section. More importantly, Baldy has brought him on board as an admin to work directly on the site to make lots of tweaks and fixes. I would expect we'll see this at some time. I don't know what his priority list looks like, though.

Click on your name in the top right (or more in the middle depending on the size of your phone). Click on "Your Content" that should take you to your past posts.
  5. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    That is one thing that I would like to see. It is easy to lose track of who the OP is in longer threads. No idea how hard it would be to get it back in the new format tho.
  6. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    There is an add-on that I can install to make it user selectable. I did install an add-on the other day to let you ignore threads and forums, but I'm taking it slowly to make sure I understand the consequence of each one I add.
  7. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    I'll take stability over features any day, doesn't make sense to add a bunch of stuff at the same time.
    GravelRider likes this.
  8. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    get the following warning on email notifications on watched threads: Still get em but always with the warning.
    "This message may not have been sent by..." warning
    [​IMG]

Why is this warning being shown?
    You'll see this warning if a sender is claiming to be from Gmail, but we couldn't confirm the email originated from a Gmail sender. For example, you might receive an email claiming to be from support@gmail.com that wasn’t actually sent from a Gmail account. All mail sent from Gmail should have authentication data in the message that can verify it was sent through Gmail. If you see a warning message indicating that a message may not have been sent by a Gmail user, this means that the authentication data is missing and Gmail displays the warning for your protection.
    The missing data can indicate one of the following:

• The message was forged and not really sent by the sender’s stated Gmail address
    • The sender emailed it through a website (for example, a website sharing a news article with you)
    • The message was sent by Gmail, but the authentication information was lost (for example, if you auto-forward all messages from your school email address to your personal Gmail address)
    If the email wasn't sent with Gmail, but the sender includes authentication data in the message, we'll show you the sender's name and the service that authenticated the message. For example, if sender@gmail.com sent you a card from a website called ecard.com, you'd see the sender listed as "sender@gmail.com via ecard.com.”
    [​IMG]
  9. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just want to say thanks!

I was kind of preparing for weeks of unrest, and more importantly fearing the worst (loss of legacy pics). None of those bad things happened. Everything works. It's awesome. I'm a simple guy and don't care much about quirks, or even bells and whistles. All Good.
  10. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    I'm tired of seeing that crap on all my e-mails too. It's not a real big deal but makes me look at it every time to make sure I'm not getting some kind of spam. I've tried filters but I can't get rid of the warning. :baldy
  11. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was the unforseen downside to installing the ignore threads plugin... I'll see what I can do about this when I get a chance.
    GravelRider likes this.
  12. Baldy

Oddometer:
    On my list of things to fix.
  13. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Turn off email notifications.
  14. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    No hurry. :-)
  15. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    That's about as useful as turning off the screen :lol3
  16. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Just a suggestion. Would it be much of a hassle to have a todo-list somewhere? (or maybe it even exists?)
    Sometimes I get the feeling you already got plenty of items in queue (to be fixed and/or looked into), but since it's dark magic for the rest of us we keep asking about this or that over and over again.
  17. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    May be 205 but to get this little niggle on the radar: our new stupendous Search function is a delight to use, fast and accurate. Only wrinkle so far is that when i search on a very specific term and then go into the returned post (or thread) results that contain that term, the term is not highlighted (ie in the Old Days a returned search term would be bold-highlighted in yellow IIRC.), if it's dense text i need to do Ctrl+F to search the screen.

This is the case in both Black Responsive and the Baldy variation of. I've not tried in the other skins b/c i prefer black background

Am i missing something? :dunno

Thanks Baldy and his minions! :bow
  18. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find the alerts to be very useful. I would hate cluttering up my email box with notifications of the same info as are in the alerts.
  19. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:
    Fast, stupid question, any way to get colors in siglines? I don't see the option now, just wondered if it was forthcoming, or not on the menu.
  20. Mike.Gail

Mike.Gail Intentionally Blank

Oddometer:
    Should be a matter of finding a color you like and running with it.

On further inspection it appears the option is not available, and people with multiple colors in their signature are held over from the previous software. It's possible you could type out what you want in the color you want then copy/paste in the signature box.