1. eNewsletter Sign Up

What would you do in Taiwan for 3 days?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by matloik, Oct 8, 2010.

1. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Taipei for work in mid November. Since I've never been to Taiwan and don't know if I'll ever be back, I thought I'd stay a few extra days. I'm not that into the doing the usual touristy thing, and usually like to get off the beaten path to better experience a foreign country. I'd appreciate any recommendations on what to do, what to see, where to go?
  2. Josh69

Josh69 Uhhh

Oddometer:
    I really like Taiwan, been there twice for a holiday. The scenery is spectacular as there is no continental shelf, so you get mountains rising straight up out of the sea. It's one of the worlds most under-rated tourist destinations.

If you are pressed for time, I'd recommend hiring a car and driving around. Beware though - you NEED an international driving permit to hire a car in Taiwan. No IDP = no car hire. I drove both times, no problem except parking in Taipei is a bitch and I wouldn't recommend driving there.

Sun Moon Lake is pretty nice. There is a new cable car on the outskirts of Taipei up to some monastries. The view from there, esp in the late afternoon (or dawn if you get up that early) is spectacular.

Taiwanese are really friendly. Enjoy!

3. Josh69

Josh69 Uhhh

Oddometer:
  4. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll have to be a bit selective in what and where as I will only have 3 days. I'll be in Taipei for work for 5 days so I think I'll be able to see the city during that time ...

Anyone know about motorcycle rental in Taiwan? Some of the info I found searching seems out of date. I assume I'd need an IDP for that also.
  5. motorcyclenut1964

motorcyclenut1964 Another Motorcyclenut

Oddometer:
    The post about Taiwan brings back some old memories. I was there in 1972 on the USS Blueridge LCC-19, doing R&R during Vietnam. I remember steam locomotives from Keelung to Taipei. I also remember my Chief finding an old 193something Zundapp (opposed twin like a BMW) and all the work to get it onto the ship that was anchored in the bay. IIRC, there were motorcycles all over the place, but we could not rent them.

Enjoy your trip, I am sure things are way different now.
  6. Josh69

Josh69 Uhhh

Oddometer:
    There is a high speed (like 300km/h or so) train between Taipei and Khaosiung. It makes for an easy day trip.
  7. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    What would you do in Taiwan for 3 days?

Get drunk and party with the locals :freaky they're some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

But seriously, if you have an IDP, rent a motorcycle (just google for some choices) there was a place called bikefarm that used to have some decent scooters and smaller motorcycles. Not sure if they are still in business. You don't need a big bike to enjoy the scenery. Just get something small and head towards the middle of the island and maybe come back up the east coast. It's easy to get around, and your bound to run into an english speaker if you need help.

It's a beautiful country, sure do miss living there.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
  8. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have a firm plan yet, and don't even plan on making specific lodging plans until I'm out there on the road, but I was thinking of heading first from Taipei to the east coast and down to Taroko Gorge; and then back up the coast. Can anyone give me some idea of how long it would be from Taipei to the coast at Yilan? And from there to Taroko? I can map out distances but it's hard to tell what an average speed will be on those winding mountain and coastal roads.
  9. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    I like Taiwan a lot.

You can not really ride motorcycles on the hiways, just surface streets.

I have pretty much just ridden in the south.

Beautiful mountain roads!

[​IMG]

Kenting.....on the coast a few years ago.
  10. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Idea of the mountain roads in southern Taiwan. June, this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "Coffee Shop" Their idea of the Rock Store

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]