What would you have done?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Neal J Hinerman, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Neal J Hinerman

Neal J Hinerman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd like to think I would have been able to move to the right to avoid the SUV, but...

I know I maintain a healthy level of paranoia when I'm stopped at a light. I have the bike in gear, aimed at the gap between cars in front of me, and constantly checking the my 12 & my 6. Double check before moving into the intersection in case there is a red light runner or two. Always expect people to do something stupid. But this? I just don't know...

https://jalopnik.com/poor-hapless-biker-watches-his-bike-smushed-by-student-1709835490
  2. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    I would have been under the car still in disbelief
    Bar None and MotoActionADV like this.
  3. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I would like to think I would have pulled forward and right. There was only a fraction of time to act as the rider said, but right turn on red would work since the cross traffic had a green arrow, not a green light.

The person whose bike was backed over (in his words) was worried about running the red light ? Get flattened, or risk a red light ticket - not much of a decision there to me.
  4. MotoActionADV

MotoActionADV Level 16 wizard

Oddometer:
    Given the circumstance, I think the guy in the video did well.
    Got out uninjured, bikes toast but hey - that's what insurance is for.
    Night_Wolf, CCitis, Tmaximusv and 4 others like this.
  5. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    What the rider called a dominant lane position was unfortunately the drivers blind spot.
    Once he was off the bike and it fell below the level of the window (before impact) the student driver had zero chance of seeing it.

I would have,
    • pulled up short of the line seeing a vehicle in the intersection unable to proceed.
    • chosen a more central position to be visible in the rear view or side mirror. (noted oil on centre of lane)
    • attempted to move right and/or forward out of harms way.
    • or let the slow moving SUV hit the upright bike and rider and attempted to ride it backwards.
    The SUV being across two lanes may have either confused me or alerted me to the ineptitude of the driver.
    Great to have the certainty of hindsight.
  6. El Gallo

El Gallo Why do my neighbors hate me?

Oddometer:
    Des Moines: French for "The Moines," Iowa
    Even the full video linked doesn't show how the rider came to a stop. Everything about the rider's position seems to be correct - correct part of the lane, foot down on the right. Taking escape to the right doesn't appear to have been immediately available. Seems to be the only time that layin' er down was the right call.
    Night_Wolf and Maggot12 like this.
  7. Dale402

Dale402 The holder of what's unused

Oddometer:
    That's a move I wouldn't have expected or been ready for at all (I look at traffic behind when stopped for the most part). So that would definitely increase my reaction time just by being surprised by
    what I was seeing. Who'd a thunk that was gonna happen?
  8. Nicksta43

Nicksta43 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure I would have just hopped off the bike like he did.

Actually, I probably would have tried to use the horn first but instead of hitting the horn I would be changing the riding mode because I still get that wrong every time even though I've owned the bike for two years, then I would have hopped off.
    TT RDHS and drtyrrel like this.
  9. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago, I'm sitting in traffic in my car - in a signaled left-turn lane, when out of the blue the pickup truck in front of me throws it in reverse and just drills the front of my car. Seems the guy decided not to turn left and, instead of you know, signaling and pulling into the regular through lanes, decided to back up without so much as a glance in the mirror.

They are out there.
    TT RDHS, MarioThePlumber and Snowbird like this.
  10. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had that happen to me once. I was driving an old Corvette and it smashed it to pieces.
  11. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    In armchair quarter back / 20/20 hindsight mode, the video makes it look like he had enough time to head to the right and enough space to avoid going into the intersection.
    But, watching a few seconds of a Youtube vid is no substitute for being there.
  12. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    (Right) lock and lean......at least TRY to get the bike out of the way.

Of course, that is assuming he was looking at the car as it backed....he may have had his eyes trained on the traffic light or his right mirror and did not see the car backing at the moment it actually started to move.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  13. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ouch. My condolences. I just had a folded-up hood on my Volvo station-wagon. Weird thing was the guy said to me "I just didn't see you in the rear-view mirror" - like the car was too low to see over his tailgate, but I had 3 windsurfers and a stack of gear strapped to the roof about 2 feet tall - Dude, you didn't LOOK.
  14. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think abandoning the bike was the right move. Maybe you would make a quick move forward and right but it only a bike. Not worth the risk
    Tmaximusv and GR0NK like this.
  15. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Maybe a more experienced rider would have left more room and been able to maneuver out but the rider states in the article that he doesn't have that experience. IMO he did the right thing by leaving the bike, especially considering how far the SUV ended up on top of it.

Sean :-)
    lnewqban likes this.
  16. AntiSuperEgo

AntiSuperEgo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I likely would have hopped off my bike.
  17. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I would have become violent.

That's not right or appropriate; but what we saw there was COMPLETE IDIOCY. I see it EVERY DAY to a lesser extent.

I hope he does sue the shite out of that imbecile behind the wheel and the owner of the car.
  18. GeneralGarden

GeneralGarden Long timer

Oddometer:
    an inexperienced driver backing into a spot he thought was unoccupied. Not great, but it does happen. But then hitting the bike, stopping, and then continuing to back up, that's just crazy.
    Snowbird likes this.
  19. lnewqban

lnewqban Ninjetter

Oddometer:
    Our problem is the little time we have to detect trouble and avoid it.
    We can't afford waiting for the full development of the stupid or clumpsy move, we must be able to foresee any potential problem at the very beginning of its development and quickly make a decision on evasive action.
    Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    If we dedicate time and energy to judge the level of stupidity, to disbelieve, to freeze-up, to blow the horn or any other improductive mental process, we are fried.

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/6_Secrets/6S-surviving_traffic.aspx

After the fact, we can see that the rider only needed a fraction of the available real estate to get out of the way, did not need to go deep into the intersection to relocate himself out of the potential back up path.
    I see the following time related missed opportunities in his description:
    "........The red SUV ended up in the middle of the intersection (big redflag here, you are not an expectator of this masterpiece, you are an unfortunate actor).......
    ........The car then proceeded to back up - IN THE LEFT LANE - i was aware about its presence all the time (time of awareness not used to realize that he was located in the blind angle of a spooked driver and any turning cager)......
    ........As some have pointed out, only have I noticed it changing directions a couple of seconds before impact (that is all the time we will ever have).......
    ........Again, we’re talking seconds (like in every mishap).....
    ........Disbelief that the car was going to back into me was up there (wasted mental energy)......
    ....... how often do you guys assume that a car will decide to reverse into your lane from a different one and floor it? (we don't have to assume the details, only sense that something is off and ready to unfold and hurt us)."

:muutt
    GR0NK likes this.
  20. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    He did the most important thing, he got off the bike so he didn't get hurt. Other than that, there's not much you can do with a car backing up like that.

To me, the most arguable "what could he have done" is to anticipate the car doing something stupid due to its proximity in the intersection, and stopped a bit further back.