What would you have done?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Neal J Hinerman, Jul 26, 2018.

1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    When a light turns green, when proceeding on a flashing signal, when making a right on red.

1. Do not enter the intersection until its clear.
    2. Do not enter the intersection until able to clear it.
    3. If caught in an intersection, proceed until clear of it.
    lnewqban likes this.
  2. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Was stopped at a 4 way,once, on a hill so I gave the car in front of me more than 1/2 a car length in case he rolled back.

Amazingly,when his turn to go came, he put it in reverse.

I let off my brakes and began rolling backward down the hill,he kept coming and probably one full car length back his rear bumper ended up on my front wheel which took his drive wheels off the ground.
    Stupidfucker got out and started yelling at me for being there!
    Luckily, there was no vehicle behind me or approaching.
    Still have no idea what he was doing but the repair bill was on him.

Other than not being there, I have no idea what I could/should/would have done differently.
    lnewqban likes this.
  3. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    If I had as much room as that guy, and saw the car backing up that fast, I would have shot forward into the open right hand turn lane.
  4. TheProphet

TheProphet Long timer

Oddometer:
    In response to someone stating that the "Teacher" in the car did a poor job:

I think the scant information we have says that it was a young girl learning to drive in the Family SUV with her father?

Point being ; This is likely not a good idea. Is the "father" qualified as a Good Instructor? Does he know enough about driving to "Teach" a beginner? Was the vehicle fitted with an alternate braking system?

A good plug for always having new drivers attend professional, accredited Driving Schools.

This exact same concept goes for Motorcycles as well.
  5. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    You the parent still have to take your darling spawnling out for many hours of practice driving. True, individual parents or family members are not always a good match. But the youngling needs the training, and things don't always go well.

If you don't have grey hair when the child starts driving, you will have some before they actually get their licence. Then you get more once they start driving on their own.
    khager likes this.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plus no controls. The driver's ed car, when I took the course, had one control for the teacher - a brake pedal. He could reach the steering wheel, but not the brake in a normal set up, so it had a second pedal hook up for his use if needed.
    khager likes this.
  7. TheProphet

TheProphet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember it well. When my daughter was 16, she took the car out for the first time and I couldn't sit down for 4-5 hours until she arrived back home safely. After that first time, it got better... for the both of us I presume. :knary

I also recall taking her out for "practice" when she got her Learners Permit. She would miss sideswiping parked cars by about 1/32 of an inch. I aged about ten years then.

Oops - Later edit: She took Drivers Ed at her High School.
    Night_Wolf and foxtrapper like this.
  8. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that brake had to be used at least once that I remember with one of the girls that was in my class. It was the instructor and 3 students in the car and we would rotate take turns driving I believe it was a 78 Ford Fairmont! They made some real beauties back then!:lol3
  9. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    My driver's ed class in high school consisted of a bone stock Ford LTD with a big block, and a half blind old man. His main concern seemed to be that I learned to use the passing gear. "We don't want no pussy drivers on the road!"

I actually learned to drive well before that with my parents. My Mom would let me drive myself to school in her Oldsmobile on back roads, then she'd drive herself home. When I got old enough to get a learners permit, my Dad took me out to a gravel road in his manual transmission pickup. I got most of my driving technique from watching Dukes of Hazard, though. :evil
    Nicksta43 likes this.
  10. Veteran Noob

Veteran Noob Astoundingly Unremarkable

Oddometer:
    Always lined up in my escape route at a light. Never directly behind another vehicle. 1st gear, foot on brake, and just a touch of clutch. Ready to move, immediately. Ideally, any escape route has options other than just going forward. I can pull a 90, either way, from a standstill, with as little as 30 inches of space available. I practice regularly. Slow speed skills are every bit as important as high (or moderate) speed skills.
    I can imagine situations where I might be in a situation where someone else could be in a position to do that to me, but it seems unlikely. We don't see exactly how the rider was located initially, relative to the driver. If I understand it, I think he could have a identified an appropriate escape route, and used it.

Edit; After looking at the video a few more times, I'm not seeing anything that would have prevented the rider from just pulling forward and out of the path of the cage.
    Neal J Hinerman likes this.
  11. Nicksta43

Nicksta43 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I read it right he was first in line in his Lane, the SUV was in the lane to his left and then back into his Lane from the left lane.
  12. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As much as I like to think I would have quickly scooted out of the way, it's hard to say if I would have. At least the rider had the presence of mind to abandon the bike. Things happen quickly.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  13. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Drivers ed in high school did me a world of good-since I already had a license, I got to sit in the instructors seat while teaching parallel parking. It gave an insurance discount and at 16 it was needed.