What you did on or with your D/S-Adv bike today

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Huzband, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Milkweed

Milkweed It's not me, it’s the bike.

Oddometer:
    Fleming Island, Florida & Coeur d’Alene, ID
    Maybe my last CDA Idaho ride of the year. 58 degrees and sunny. Yay!
    370AEE95-85B2-4D5C-9FFF-17C7BE237026.jpeg
    Much better than when it was 33 degrees and icy on Saturday.
  2. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Installed a new Shorai battery this evening. Helga's rockin' & rollin' again. :ricky
    beefcake morris likes this.
  3. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    You're right, but now I believe it was actually broken/separated plates. I monkeyed with it yesterday before taking it out just to see what I could find. Ignition on everything lights up & cycles through. Hit the button, solenoid kicks, then everything resets. Volt meter showed 12.4 at rest, pretty close to normal. Hit the button and BAM, down to 7-8 volts. I've had this happen twice before & both times it was broken/separated plates. Just sitting there they make enough contact to show good voltage, but as soon as they're shocked with a power pulse they separate and all (well, enough anyway) connectivity between the polls is lost. And that's why jumping didn't work. Never did in my previous instances, either.
  4. beefcake morris

beefcake morris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Starting to prep for Trans GA:
    - Put a new Pre-Filter on the rottweiler air intake on the 1190
    - Installed a separate light switch for the 7100 lumens light bar (aka sun switch)
    - Waxed the the plastics

Oil change coming up on soon, then I am ready to rock and roll.
    Huzband likes this.
  5. DaveBeezy

DaveBeezy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2C1CFBE4-B8E6-4F28-AE0A-E30AE065F714.jpeg C3D150C3-C8FB-4BA7-9F15-145A910B04D6.jpeg

Washed bikes and lubed chains.
  6. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    didn't get to work on bikes, but had to swap out a battery and a fuse in my s/o nephew's car. 4 of them stood around while I swapped the battery using nothing but a 10mm wrench and a screw driver to remove the air intake. they all thought it was some form of advanced wizardry. this was after he proclaimed "I looked it up online, it said it's probably out of fuel" while I showed him the volt meter displaying "6.7 v."
    rider1150gsadv, Dr.Z, Mugwest and 3 others like this.
  7. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’d love to start a shop called Snowflake Automotive Repair just for stuff like this.
    “Yes, it needs a battery and two gallons of gas. That’ll be $1196 on your dads credit card.”

Bill would read:
    R&R battery $20
    New battery $96
    Two gallons of gas because you said it needed it $80
    Should have learned to use volt meter $1,000
  8. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    They'd pay. And think that was a smart move in the Opportunity Cost model :fpalm
  9. elBeardo

elBeardo Get busy living

Oddometer:
    Looooooooong day at work today so took the bike out to watch the sunset and have a brew. B3E20F4E-2431-40B2-BE7F-E8EB1C282A0D.jpeg
  10. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    DRZ 400, 3K, 6 pack of Corona, $12, chiggers, fauck, I have chiggers!

Don't sit on the ground man! Especially near water.

Tore the AT apart. Decided to check the air filters, it has started to burn oil. Filters looked brand new. Air box full of oil, now I know where the third air box drain line is, going to extend all of them a bit when I re-assemble. Keeping those drained is part of regular maintenance. Replacing air filters with Twin Air foam filters.

Figured, while I have crash bars and fairings off, I will check the valves. 4 hours later, I have the cover off. Radiators, air box, throttle bodies, and coil tray need to come off. Valves are spot on at 23k. Was supposed to be checked at 16k.

Iridium plugs are in spec, supposed to replace at 32k. Fuck it, decided to do it now, I hope to not take this shit all apart again. 2 auto parts stores, no joy. CRFs only has them for $30 each, 4 required. O' Reily's ordered some for me, $14 each and $7 shipping.

The problem with this bike is that you cannot risk drowning it. The air box is not accessible on the trail. I guess you could, but removing my Heed crash bars would be a bitch without air tools.
    [​IMG]
  11. kelly duke 2000

kelly duke 2000 Retired, Gone Riding Supporter

Oddometer:
    What year 950 is that again?
    Huzband, YJake, Dr.Z and 3 others like this.
  12. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl:imaposer:photog:clap
    Huzband likes this.
  13. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
    :photog

-Jake
  14. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    Hey, at least if doesn't have a shimmy!:D

But seriously, I think I will sell this bitch before I take it apart again. Lets see how the re-assembly goes. I bagged and tagged all fasteners, shouldn't be too bad. Just gotta watch routing of hoses and wires.

I thought about taking the exhaust valves out to the long end of range, decided against it. They are exactly at spec, and I don't expect they will ever move now.
    kelly duke 2000 and Buzztail like this.
  15. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Yeah, as much of a PITA shim/bucket valve adjustments are, I’ve gotta admit they rock for long service intervals. My first DRZ went 32K with one valve adjustment early in its life, and was still in spec (at the tight end) when I sold it 3 months ago. I just shimmed my new-to-me DRZ to the large end of spec, and with 16K on the engine now, I shouldn’t ever have to do another valve adjustment again. Which would suit me just fine, because shims under buckets ain’t exactly easy to get to...
    B7877A9F-D27C-4AAA-85A5-FF74F1307562.jpeg

I recall valve adjustments on my old XL350R taking less than an hour start to finish, even if all 4 valves needed adjusting. Takes a good bit longer on a DRZ...
    Buzztail likes this.
  16. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny you see a lot of AT come up for sale riiiiiight around 13k-15k miles. Guys don't want to do the valves on them. For some reason, shim and buckets scare everyone off. I don't know if they make them, but a pre-filter cover the air filters could help. Apparently twin air does not make them for those filters, but maybe get one and slice it up?

[​IMG]
    Buzztail likes this.
  17. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    Uni makes pre filters, but you have to cut the factory snorkels to install them. Doesn't make them any more accessible, but lengthens the service interval.

Yeah, I got this AT with 16k on it. I knew it was due. This bike has screw type adjustments for exhaust valves, and shim under bucket for intakes. Just one cam to remove, if needed.
    Buzztail likes this.
  18. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    I get it...there’s a dozen different ways for Murphy to get involved with a shim-under-bucket valve adjustment. At the very least, the level of disassembly that’s required for the process is tedious and time-consuming; PK said it took 4 hours to get his valve cover off, and yeah everything takes longer on your first attempt—but it’s still a PITA. And of course that’s reflected in the shop time dealers charge for a valve adjustment.

Truth is, my animosity for shims and buckets comes from the fact that I lost my valve-adjustment cherry on an RFVC engine, and it set the gold standard. So simple, even an ineptizoid couldn’t screw it up!
    3B86DA4C-1379-407D-9B9E-6F4A4B52F0E0.jpeg
    Philip Kuntz and sanjoh like this.
  19. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    From what I have read online, dealers want about 1k to do this service. One guy here on adv said he was quoted $800 to check them, and another 2-3 hundred if they needed adjustments.
  20. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    :eek7 Dang, for that money you could have a Duc 1200 Enduro with another 60hp.
    Philip Kuntz likes this.