What you did on or with your D/S-Adv bike today

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Huzband, Mar 3, 2014.

1. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even better was Lancia's ill-fated experiment of production cars in the late 70s/early 80s. They rusted so bad they had to recall every single one. So much as parking by an ocean for a few hours you'd find rust spots sticking through the paint. They knew how to make a rally car go fast, but didn't know how to produce one for mom to drive the kids to school in without a tetanus shot.
    rider1150gsadv and ZachM1 like this.
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had two Alfa Romeo's, a Guilia in the late 60's and a Guilietta in the early 80's.
    Both were actually not bad in the rust dept., but my dad didn't keep either of them long enough to find out...:lol3
  3. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider

Oddometer:
    Free shipping! Yeah, I know it's not really free...
  4. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    The only redeeming quality was handling, it was near perfect. Had a Yamaha shop in the 80's with a big parking lot around the building, a guy traded one in, I remember allowing him 500 bucks for it. At closing some Saturdays we had mini bike races around the building, one time the X1/9 got deployed, you could keep it in a drift nearly the whole way around.
    Huzband, mr_guns and Mugwest like this.
  5. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    :nod On paper & in the flesh the X-1/9 was a SUPERB package. I suspect mine had one of the early Bosch FI systems ripped out-- it had a 2bbl Weber but there were random modules left disconnected. It DID handle like a go-kart, but that was only when inertia was on your side. The engine (1700? Sure as hell wasn't 2L) simply had no nuts. Maybe that was my late step-dad's Genius after all to keep me alive :lol3
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  6. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Yeah, someone decent with 50cc could give it a good run around the building. :D
    Huzband likes this.
  7. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ginger Beard and Huzband like this.
  8. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    Rode with 2 KLR buddies scouting a fail route to a "waterfall" in North Santa Rosa County. Rough day and I wore the other 2 out. We didn't make it to the waterfall.

On the Hwy ride back I thought I saw my new coworker going the other direction that originally showed me the FaceFail post about the general location of said waterfall.

So a minute or so later I split from my buddies and caught up with the coworker that didn't know it was me following him and his family. Closer to the destination I blasted past him and was able to run the last little bit of dirt before the trail that leads to the waterfall. He later told me he thought it might have been me, but wasn't sure. I check out all of the trail to the waterfall and turned around to keep moving because I was hot and sweaty.
    Coworker shows up in his Mitsubishi 4x4 and we finished going down the trail through the mud holes and found the "waterfall".

Keeps saying I don't have permission and upload failed on all of my pictures.
  9. Milkweed

Milkweed It's not me, it’s the bike.

Oddometer:
    Fleming Island, Florida & Coeur d’Alene, ID
    Rode some epic easy flow singletrack on a perfect fall day near Coeur d’Alene, ID today with the PANTRA gang. Finally took time to stop and take a few pics on a singletrack ride.
    982EFF9C-E1C8-46C0-AE7A-79332E1AFEEF.jpeg 55CCA6DC-8CBF-4944-8914-2D4311A18C36.jpeg B4AAC7EF-5174-4421-93F5-F4E906E4A914.jpeg 230A5F9E-68D7-4FD1-AA2B-4CC5E07C2E17.jpeg
  10. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Broke free of the FL heat!

0927201212_resize_34.jpg
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  11. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Sunday morning tire party at Castle Cole in prep for the first woods ride with the new scooter.

[​IMG]

I yanked the stock rear and tube for an Ibex and my dedicated woods moose.

[​IMG]

The stock tire on the left which is pretty good but kind of stiff, my dedicated woods tire in the middle and on the right a sweet tire I picked up in Colorado this summer that could be just as good if not better than the Ibex.

[​IMG]

Pretty much the perfect squish!

[​IMG]

I was too lazy to put the pool noodle in the front and will run a tube at 13 or so PSI and cross my fingers. I'll bring an extra tube and spoons in the van incase I have to do a mid ride swap.
  12. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Carb rebuild and a fresh throttle cable for the 50. Full throttle fun.

0F778BA1-9CF4-42F5-BF7A-D03E338D1304.jpeg
  13. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro Supporter

Oddometer:
    ZachM1 likes this.
  14. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    Started the day off with a flat. Didn't make it off the property. Luckily it was a quick fix since I converted to tubeless. IMG_20201004_082451%20(1).jpg
    beefcake morris likes this.
  15. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    Then towards the end of the ride my #Solobox pannier rack gained it's freedom and lived up to it's junk name (Solobox) and went solo.

Inferior welds on inferior metal stock was/is the culprit. Every single piece from #Solobox has broken. Even the simple windscreen riser. The aluminum work was shoddy due to improper or complete lack of annealing before making 90° or more bends and shoddy aluminum mig welding.

I'd post more pictures, but I don't think I'm able. PXL_20201004_185305675.jpg
  16. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    You can tell by the rust that the washer that was welded to the 1" square stock was not welded very well. Also gouged up my otherwise pristine side panel. PXL_20201004_185209137.jpg
  17. ZachM1

Oddometer:
    More evidence of less than sub par welds.

Main message here is to steer clear of this made in the USA quality product that is #Solobox. PXL_20201004_185257672.jpg
  18. KimPossible

KimPossible Proud Patriot

Oddometer:
    Bark Busters on and sag adjusted. No links! :lol3
    Philip Kuntz and Buzztail like this.
  19. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    For your BB's did ya use the mounting system that requires a tap threads then screw em on or the kind that used the little expansion deal?
  20. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    One good protocol is to throw an extra in your tool bag or hydro pack. I lost ons in Alaska and it was a bit of a PIA to replace.

Skip to 8 min in to see the code brown moment and the world class trail fix.
    Ginger Beard likes this.