What you did on or with your D/S-Adv bike today

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Huzband, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Sweet pic, but up your Mask game, Dave. Girlfriend's Day of the Dead mask totally rocks, while you have the freebie KLR rider/welfare-Bear unit going on.
    Kick it up a notch! :clap
    Dr.Z and Ginger Beard like this.
  2. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Here's a look at Saturday at The Moto Farm - our second MX effort of the season.

And a few snaps....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another crack at a hare scramble on "project hundo." Added some additional preload spacers to the forks, played around with the shock high speed comp and sag, helped a lot with riding in some of the choppier stuff. Bike did really well considering the amount of deep sand and massive craters (see: whoops). It was fun in 2-3 places to get to 6th gear WFO, and in others just 3rd gear into some cheater lines and jump out of the deep-sloppy stuff onto some hard ground. Like riding a 170lb BMX bike.
  4. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Lol, I have boxes of these things! May just sew a suit out of them and be super classy!
    Buzztail, KimPossible and Mugwest like this.
  5. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Mid week front tire pool noodle install on the cheater machine yesterday. Work done in the car port due to potential rain.
    Final prep for a TN woods ride this weekend.

Full noodle now - front and back. Front was the best fitting to date. I have a 2 year old noodle that was intended to fit a fat front tire. It's decreased in size enough to fit perfectly in a stock or normal size front.

[​IMG]
    Ginger Beard and motomike14 like this.
  6. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider

Oddometer:
    We rode up to the local mega stealership, Ridenow Ocala, and had new tires installed on Tai's 500F. They matched the Rockymountainatv price on some new Michelins and mounted and balanced them for free. This is bringing the whole bike in, not just the wheels. The only add on was $20 for wheel weights, and tax. I thought that was a really good deal. Plus they found a recall on the bike, and ordered the part for us.

They also have some new Indian FTR 1200s up there. They have a standard model available for demo rides. That was very tempting!
    AST236 and Buzztail like this.
  7. dwrobin

dwrobin ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Get one. I did. Got a 1200S. Put 1300 miles on it getting back to Bristol and then going up to TWOS with @sperz1 and @salty_dog . Nice bike, good mile eater, nice in the twisties. Bit heavy for the little bit of off road we did but I'll get used to it. My phone camera died so I can't post pictures
    Philip Kuntz likes this.
  8. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    It's about the same weight as my Africa Twin, on paper anyway. That surprises me. It makes a good bit more power too, on paper anyway. Once the novelty wore off of the Africa Twin, I find that I prefer my old Vstrom. I have been seriously considering putting the AT up for sale. It seems I am more into practical bikes than bling.
  9. King of Beers

King of Beers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $20 for wheel weights!!!! :eek7

Lol

Really though, I'd give a dealer $20 over RMATV prices to mount and balance my tires too. :deal

It's just funny that they itemized $20 for a nickle's worth of wheel weight.

Man do I hate changing my own tires...:hmmmmm
  10. King of Beers

King of Beers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll give you $3K for her.. :raabia :thumb
  11. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    Yeah, going to be asking a bit more than 3k, LOL.

It's a fun bike. I rode it a good bit for a year or so. Now it mostly sits around.

I have a shitload of wheel weights here too, thought about telling them I will supply my own. I could have just said no thanks on the balancing, and done it myself, but figured that they need to make a buck or two. I don't really want to deal with those low profile sport bike tires.
  12. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m just guessing here but I’d bet the $20 was to balance them, not just for the wheel weights.
    Huzband likes this.
  13. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    Nope, mounting and balancing is free! 2.99 per wheel weight! Or 10.99 per wheel for balance beads. I think it took 3, 1/4oz weights per wheel, plus tax, so almost $20.
    King of Beers likes this.
  14. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Free for a fee...:lol3
    Buzztail and King of Beers like this.
  15. Davebert

Davebert Too damn serious!

Oddometer:
    Just picture if this guy (@Huzband) went there...:D

20170218_190554.jpg
  16. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    He would have to go see the finance dept. I bet the ones on the side of the rim didn't stay in place for very long.
    Davebert, King of Beers and Huzband like this.
  17. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I kind of wish I had taken an after picture. About 2/3 were gone. Luckily no one reported getting hit. :lol3
  18. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Here's the deal on that. It was an experiment. I was riding the 530 XC-W Six Days on the Trans-Fl that time. I knew I had to balance the tars. I also knew it wasn't ideal but that's what it took. Starting off with a balanced tire that gradually loses balance a quarter ounce at time isn't noticeable. But had I started with it that much out of balance I wouldn't have made it out of the neighborhood.

So it worked, & as a bonus it's an ongoing opportunity for @Davebert. :lol3
    DaveBeezy, ZachM1 and Davebert like this.
  19. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never seen a tire that far out of balance unless it wasn’t seated on the rim properly. WhT kind of tire was it? Don’t buy any more of them!
  20. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    so how do they do a free balance without weights? I didn’t stay in a holiday in last night so maybe it’s
    899B27D3-3DA7-423E-A30B-3B8B71D55371.gif
    Davebert likes this.