What you did on or with your D/S-Adv bike today

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Huzband, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Got moved over to the farm today. We have 3 goats, a sheep & an alpaca.
    20201026_133702_HDR~2.jpg

Then I had a two hour solo session. The view from about 3000' was nothing to get excited about. Trust me when I tell you there's a big lake down there.
    20201026_155544(1)~2.jpg

But it got better. Much better.
    20201026_161529_HDR~2.jpg
    20201026_162346(1)~2.jpg

More tomorrow.
  2. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Nice. I call that area the Chattooga Triangle : )

There's a good novel about some of the people in the town/valley before it was a lake by a local professor. 'One Foot in Eden', have a copy if you want to borrow it sometime.
  3. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider

Oddometer:
    I don't think they offer a free balance without you paying for some kind of weights. I can ask if you really want to know, as I am going back there to have the recalled fuel level sender replaced on Wednesday. They said a couple of hours, but I offered to bring in just the tank. I am pulling the bike apart anyway for a paint job, this should be fun. Going to try a 3 stage candy.
  4. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Although described as a dual sport ride this was a proper dirt bike ride!
    Here's a look at some Wanker Saturday sadness up in the woods on TN.

[​IMG]

Here's a look at Saturdays effort.

Fun day, rained the night before and was super moist all day.

[​IMG]

As with any TW trip the sadness is strong! Dead body on the trail :2cry

[​IMG]

One swimming and one in the trees!

[​IMG]
  5. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    We stopped at REI in Greenville yesterday & I bought new Gazateers. They needed updating anyway. :D We'll be doing a good portion of the second route you offered today, with some variations thrown in later in the day.

And from the looks of the forecast we'd better be finished riding by mid-day tomorrow.
    waybill likes this.
  6. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    It's the chattooga triangle, you gotta have all three of 'em : )

Views of the lake and river from where you were yesterday, we were just there and I need to go back already.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Yeah, yeah. More shortly.
    KimPossible likes this.
  8. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    A few more snaps from TN...

Now this core group of Wankers are solid operators. It really is a testament to the challenge of the hills.
    Especially after a night of rain. But ya don't travel 10 hours to run the junior varsity shit!

[​IMG]

Take a seat and watch FU climb! :jack
    In all honesty there's a bunch of luck involved. This is a great example. If this Wanker was not down here I may have chosen to take the line on the left and became a spectator. A common discussion when we grouped up was - when one door closes another opens. You can learn a lot from the 2 or 3 riders in front of ya.

[​IMG]

Back rub and chill?

[​IMG]

This was a typical down and up. Steep down and quick transition to up sucks all momentum. Lot's of finesse needed to be successful and this one went up an an angle. Even with the cheater machine I struggled with this type of obstacle all weekend.

[​IMG]

This was a cool feature! Just don't look down and fixate. They said they spent a half a day digging a bike out of this gash in the earth.

[​IMG]

Might just look like an innocent stick but dang these type of things will put you on your ass! I slid on it and if there wasn't that little rut I'd have been on my ass. Instead I just bent my thumb to my wrist. :doh

[​IMG]
  9. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Today was a complete wash. It's been raining since before the sun came up, & many times pretty hard. Yesterday, however, was great.
    20201027_103635(1)~2.jpg
    20201027_154436~2.jpg

We did more riding than picture making. And thus the sun sets on another short, but nice, getaway. Tomorrow is the slog back to reality.
    20201027_183655_HDR~2(1).jpg
  10. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beats a day at the office.... or so I’m told :lol2
    Ginger Beard and Huzband like this.
  11. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I didn't get the bike loaded yesterday, & now we're on the northeast side of Zeta. :fpalm Should be a fun morning.
    DaveBeezy, Ginger Beard and Buzztail like this.
  12. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Better ride it home..... just to be safe
    Ginger Beard, Huzband and ZachM1 like this.
  13. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Or stay for the weekend, I'm sure the weather is about to turn the corner.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I rode through TS Barry, so that'd be a negative Ghost Rider. I had a window in the deluge a little while ago so the bike's in the truck.

We wish we could, but we both have appointments tomorrow.
    Ginger Beard and Buzztail like this.
  15. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Dirtbagging WNC, NGA and E. Tenn Supporter

Oddometer:
    E1675D9E-BD7E-42AA-9747-07F8B47BA9CE.jpeg 109E504E-C8F3-44A9-A778-AF32DC2BFCD3.jpeg

I got tired of the pain in the azz that is my hitch carrier. And since my tundra died and was replaced by a 2010 Pathfinder I needed more firewood/cooler/camping equipment hauling capacity.

So picked up a 5x10 trailer today. 15 inch tires. Should tow nice loaded. Starting the build out.
  16. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent!! How much does that trailer weigh, any idea? And, what is the tongue weight empty, more or less? Can you pick up the tongue yourself with the trailer empty?
  17. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Dirtbagging WNC, NGA and E. Tenn Supporter

Oddometer:
    The trailer itself is 700 empty according to the paperwork. I can pick the tongue up and move it laterally easy but it's not easy to roll anywhere. Somehow the receiver height on a 2010 Pathfinder is about 4 inches higher than my 2005 Tundra 4wd (RIP). So I bought a 5 inch drop and the new trailer is about level.

I have a tool box I'm going to bolt on tomorrow along with the tie down points for the bike. I'm going to replicate this kit (or maybe buy one if my welder dude laughs at me) and also add a roof top tent platform: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Organizers/Malone/MPG493.html

Also the trailer was $1,303 out the door after tax. And I'm going to remove and store the ramp that came with it. I think it will just be a giant wind sock when towing. I can use the aluminum ramp I already have to load the bike. Unless I was trying to load a riding mower or something I don't really see a need for the big ramp.
    DaveBeezy, KirkN and Buzztail like this.
  18. Davebert

Davebert Too damn serious!

Oddometer:
  19. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    230 miles this morning, first half with friends before turning & bugging for home. No pics cuz I was too busy ridin'. :ricky A big thanks to the Marion Co. Deputy that didn't care how fast that F250 & I were boogying up 19. :augie
  20. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    9F4525F0-56CD-4EA0-A0D5-F22452644E1C.jpeg Got off my duff yesterday and got the head off my KLR650 to fix the blown head gasket. Discovered one or two assembly errors from previous owner that probably contributed. Today I should get the head back on, but gotta get some new shims to correct a way-too-tight exh valve clearance.

DAF41267-5505-4539-85DF-0582DCC01D54.jpeg

AF0A0F2C-8623-4AF8-A188-2615E82433AF.jpeg
    Huzband, DaveBeezy, ZachM1 and 3 others like this.