What you did on or with your D/S-Adv bike today

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Huzband, Mar 3, 2014.

1. beefcake morris

beefcake morris Long timer

Oddometer:
    1FCA7FB2-3DC0-4ADD-B8B6-63D14250C9B2.jpeg 6CD86156-989E-4145-8099-D16DE4F3F28B.jpeg
    Same here new tires, forks freshly serviced. Bleed the front and rear brake fluid.

Might do an oil change tomorrow.
    CliffElam, Huzband, DaveBeezy and 4 others like this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Curious to see how these work for you in FL. thinking about putting a set on the Scramster.
  3. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    What tires do you run on the scramster now?
  4. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider

Oddometer:
    The Wee rolled over 90k today, rode it about 300 miles today. Still running great.
    [​IMG]
  5. mr_guns

mr_guns Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer:
    Ordered large water pump impeller. Figured I might as well do that while changing my oil pump gears.
    beefcake morris and Huzband like this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Shinko 700 or Kenda K270 typically.
  7. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Hard to beat that combo for wear and price. Just put the 700 on Sharon's V, looking for a budget front, thinking Shinko 244.

The challenge for me with the high cost ADV tires is they don't deliver on wear or performance at twice the price of other options.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Indeed. Hard to beat Shinko or Kenda for ADV/DS tires. I've had great luck with their street tires as well.
  9. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Ran the ravens on my R6!

Don't try the 804/5 combo, work fantastic on the Strom.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  10. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I've run a couple of sets of Ravens. Great tire! How was the wear on the 804/805 ?
  11. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Still using the 804/5 not sure where the mileage will end up. Now that I'm actually using the sides of the tire who knows. The street traction is amazing. Work well in the dirt as well.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  12. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Maybe one more 805 brag: was having a ball in WNC 2 weeks ago when got back on tar after hours of sublime gravel rollercoaster 2-track. Soon as i hit tar the rear end sounded like a tank tread-- knew i'd lost a ton of air so crept to 'Standing Indian' camp in the NF to assess chit. The rear 805 had about 5psi in it & was of course egg-cooking hot.

Broke out the tire kit & 12v pump & pulled the valve core. Turned wheel round 3x and could not see any FOD. Puzzling, i thought maybe the valve core had failed so aired it back up.
    My hand just happened to be right over the invisible puncture hole and felt the new air gushing out-- the hole was dead-center on the tire carcass.

Glued up a gummi/rope worm, pushed it in, let the glue set for 20-odd mins, and motored on to Suches to meet @sperz1

TLDR: a tubeless Shinko 805 rear held its fkn beads on a chunky gravel/rock mountain 2-track with 5psi in it :super :super
  13. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Dayum, didn't need the worry beads:pope
  14. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    New tars on the new-to-me KLX400, lowered the fork tubes 1.69” to better match the existing 2” lowering link on the rear. Best i could get up front, and that required bar risers, moving the key switch a bit, plus moving the gauge cluster a bit. Up 2 teeth on the front sprocket too (from 13 back to stock 15).

So far, it’s proving to be a nice machine!

D00A50D3-2E69-42A1-B16F-34870D62B3EA.jpeg

65A6F377-8071-4566-A5B6-D47F289626F6.jpeg
  15. kelly duke 2000

kelly duke 2000 Retired, Gone Riding Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding on the red planet,haha

Attached Files:

16. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not much on bikes this weekend; had to help heal the mower of low-compression-iris, flush the brake fluid on the kid’s car, help the nephew with brake pads in his Jeep. So, today kept sorting through tools I’d grabbed from my parents house that my grandfather gave me, found this cool mini-scale. He previously liked to rebuild Datsun 240zs and late 80s-mid 90s Nissan PU in his spare time before his retirement. 98% of the tools are all stamped “made in USA.” How rare is that?

EF1FF762-9B34-4559-AD01-2ED90F81624D.jpeg
    CliffElam, Mugwest, KirkN and 3 others like this.
  17. KimPossible

KimPossible Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was at home Friday working, tending to the pups, and I realized that I had time to squeeze in a bit of me time. Took the XT out for a short afternoon ride around my neck of the woods. It started to rain, so it gave me a bit more incentive to stay out longer. :clap
    Huzband and AST236 like this.
  18. bradluke0

bradluke0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the way home from Richloam on Sunday I pulled the shock from my 300xcw (in the parking lot of Axis Powersports) and left it with them to service and refresh. I had the rebound damping 4 clicks from fully closed and the rear was still springy. I will probably just drain, clean and refill the fork oil, they are not leaking and I have been pretty good about pulling the wipers and cleaning the seals. I also pulled the pipe and had a look inside at the exhaust side of the piston and a look at the cylinder, all looks good. In another 30 hours or so (it has 135 hours on it now) I will replace the piston, rings, clips, wristpin and wristpin bearing.
    Milkweed and beefcake morris like this.
  19. KimPossible

KimPossible Long timer

Oddometer:
    @ Philip Kuntz

The Russell Daylong seat was a good idea for the Strom. Well, worth the $$ you spent years ago. We had long adventures on the Strom, and the seat allowed the riding experiencing to be much better. Maybe you and Tai will consider another Strom in the future.

90,000 miles and you seem to favor it. Well, it appears that way...
    Buzztail and Philip Kuntz like this.
  20. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider

Oddometer:
    The seat is the heart of any motorcycle IMO, except for a dirt bike, comfort doesn't matter so much there.

I plan to keep the Wee, I won't get enough for it to justify selling it. It is a nice spare bike that I can loan out to people, and not worry about damage to it. I will keep riding it too, looking forward to over 100k in the next year or two.