What you did on or with your D/S-Adv bike today

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Huzband, Mar 3, 2014.

1. KimPossible

KimPossible Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, my bum thinks it needs a bit of comfort on the XT! LOL! :lol3 Seat Concepts all the way for me. Been busy, so I'll be taking the staples off the stock seat and sending it in. Worth the extra $25 for me.

Glad you're still bumming around on the Strom, and sharing it with others.
    Buzztail likes this.
  2. mr_guns

mr_guns Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer:
    IMG_5190.jpg
    Installed a throttle lock on my Beta.
    Ginger Beard, motomike14 and ZachM1 like this.
  3. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buzzed around Tosohatchee WMA. Pretty wet, with all the rain this last week or two!

2ACA5D82-8002-4FBF-BC98-BC4885587B71.jpeg
    D82C2B84-B215-441C-BDDB-81F02B59D7A6.jpeg
    5DBBB01B-DC1F-47BB-8735-A83D3BF3EC45.jpeg
  4. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed the GIVI upper and lower crash bars and the OE Honda center stand on the Africa Twin. The GIVI crash bars took way too long, lots of little fitment issues and instructions that make IKEAs look like a well written novel. Finally got it and a little #deathwheel action to get the second hand altrider bash plate on. Finally tackled the center stand springs using a 2x4 and old brake shoe springs I found in the bottom of my latest tool haul from parent's house. One step closer to the Dakotas.
    Mugwest, Philip Kuntz, BarryB and 3 others like this.
  5. FL Pepper

FL Pepper OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer:
    Took the VX3 up to Buzzard's Roost, a place I've always wanted to visit, even though I am terrified of heights.
    The view was spectacular despite the constant truck noise from I-40 below. Nice ride up on gravel forest roads.

20210802_153428_HDR.jpg

20210802_153404_HDR.jpg

20210802_145258_HDR.jpg
  6. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Same here fitting Givi saddlebag racks in early July: i called the Givi instruction sheet a 'cartoon' and that was being generous. In the end it didn't really matter, vise the chit up & grind/file to fit. I was just stoked that Givi's basic geometry was ballpark On and i didn't have to heat any tubes for bending.

Will say that once installed & fine-tuned the Givi rack was bombproof
    Buzztail likes this.
  7. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey now, it's an eyetalian thing ya know.....:lol3
    Mugwest likes this.
  8. CliffElam

CliffElam OldN00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pull the other one, brother - I've owned a Fiat and dated a girl with the last name Giovanni. Not at the same time.
    Mugwest likes this.
  9. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once I got those givi bars mounted, they do feel pretty solid. I was a little disappointed in some of the quality of the bolts they give you, they just look cheap, which surely is some crime in Italy.

Downloaded some tracks and played around with some free apps on the duraforce, ultimately paid the $1.99 for an upgrade on one of them that gave a better heads up display and easier to follow the route. Tires go on tomorrow, then all set and done. Black Hills bound in 7 days.
    Mugwest and Buzztail like this.
  10. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    We had a slew of Fiat's and Alfa Romeo's while we lived in Italy and The Netherlands... :deal
    CliffElam likes this.
  11. CliffElam

Oddometer:
    I had a Renault Megine when we lived in the UK, great car. Not convinced that european cars are successful at 'merican mileage and speeds.
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  12. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Certain European cars are better at it then others for sure... My dad had a 5 speed manual 733i that he put 260K miles on whereas the 528e was toast at 80K... I-65 from Indianapolis to Chicago was responsible for that, as that road is a major pothole from beginning to end.... The 7 had just better suspension and was much better built..
    Mugwest and CliffElam like this.
  13. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    New pegs for the CRF:ricky
    0806211511_resize_65.jpg
    DaveBeezy, sperz1, motomike14 and 5 others like this.
  14. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So bored in this heat and rain that I'm inventorying camping gear and trying to find new places to carry spare tubes and other parts. Added HTP inner tool rack. I'm still working out which tube or bag to mount in here. I'd like to at least get a rear tube and tire spoons to fit back here.

I'm also plotting a West Virginia ride in gaia gps last week of August into September so looking forward to that.

IMG_3009.jpg IMG_3008.jpg
    KimPossible likes this.
  15. Milkweed

Milkweed It's not me, it’s the bike.

Oddometer:
    Fleming Island, Florida & Coeur d’Alene, ID
    C820FD03-BC9C-4573-87FC-2E4885CBF29A.jpeg
    Kitchen table top end build today.
    Huzband likes this.
  16. Mugwest

Oddometer:
    :nod Givi's hardware got replaced with zinc plated German stuff from my heroes at BelMetric. It didn't help that Givi had 2 bolts the wrong thread size, just replace the lot with Quality and move on
    motomike14 and rider1150gsadv like this.
  17. CliffElam

Oddometer:
    Are you married? The place mats say yes, the crank oil says no.
  18. BadCaptain

BadCaptain Bad decisions make good stories

Oddometer:
    Appears some just made better choices.
    CliffElam and Milkweed like this.
  19. Mugwest

Oddometer:
    I just got a chub. 7ers with manual gearboxes were rare in US. The automatics were refined but uninspiring even with the biggest engine they got, the 3.5l six.

That said, the most dangerous car i ever drove was a '73 Bavaria (a 2800 in the rest of the world) that a guy was selling as a rolling-resto. It had a ton of rust bc he'd put all his money in the engine room: fresh 3.5l motor from a 635, with 3 downdraft Webers. I nailed the gas and felt the seat move an inch in its mounts, and the body twist. About that time i realized he hadn't put any money in the brakes either. :lol3

Still, he had the carbs on that thing dialedTF in (no mean feat) and boy would that Six pull. That motor family goes into the Hall of Fame :nod
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  20. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Most straight sixes from either BMW or Mercedes were among the best engines made. Classic and simple to work on specially before the electronics… :nod
    The 7 we had was driven by all of us (4 people) and after about 250k the engine was replaced and at the time the first clutch replacement was done too. 15K miles later my dad got t-boned and the car was toast… Dad walked away without as much as a scratch.. The old Bavaria models were rust buckets but so were most German cars from that era.. VW and Audi were as bad as the French and Italian cars…. We had a few….:lol3
    waybill likes this.