What you're Missing: a Guide to Side Trips off the Cassiar

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Crooked Creek, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Polebridge

Polebridge n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey just came across this thread. I'm thinking of riding a bicycle from northern BC to Southern BC (while avoiding highways), and I've been told that there is a an abandon rail grade from Dease Lake to Fort St James. How much of this rail grade did you do? Would it be doable even though the bridge is gone in 2 places? I know of a group of 3 guys doing it on bicycles in the summer of 2018 and they mentioned there was a 25km section of bushwacking, but I didn't hear them mention anything about fallen bridges.

Any help is appreciated!
  2. Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We did to km 160 or so (measured from the top.) Two major rivers with no bridges and 25 km of bushwhacking sounds about right. That section was never finished, so the grade wasn't built up, nor were the bridges built. You would want packrafts to cross the rivers but it still could be dangerous, depending on water conditions at the time. Lots of griz too, but it's amazing country. Let me know if you decide to do it. If you lend me a bike, I'll lend you a packraft...
    CaptUglyDan and Polebridge like this.
  3. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CC well done RR. Much amusing fun reading. You be a skilled rider,good on you. All the best from the Far East.
    Crooked Creek likes this.
  4. Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. I wasn't a good rider at all back then; just ambitious haha. But I'm a little better now .