What's a Better Sand Bike--CR500 or KX500

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by brucifer, Jul 18, 2013.

1. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a sweet bike Rokoneer!

Well, I know I can find a decent CR or KX for $1500.00 or less. So, how cheap is cheap? Probably $1500.00 or less. :D
  2. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, here's a little side-step---how do you guys think a 2003 CR250R would deal with what I want? Reason I ask is one has come up for sale here--female ridden (not that that's any better or worse--it's listed in the ad) and they're asking $2000 or best offer. :ear
  3. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    The 250 will definitely pull well and has a broader rev-range than a 500.
  4. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    I had an 01 CR250R it was a decent bike then I bought a 02 YZ250 much better bike especially the suspension and handling aspects . I would hold out for a YZ especially if you are looking to ride it offroad.

If you can afford it try to get an 06 YZ 250 go that route, it has the SSS suspension which is phenomenal and worth the extra money.
  5. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

Coming from someone who suggests its better to use very thin autolube oil in 2T pre-mix bikes, its surprising that they choose to suggest anyone other than themselves is not technically competent?
  6. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

The 250 would certainly be far easier to get on with than a 500, and is likely to be perfect for what you want.

However the thing that seems to have been almost entirely overlooked on this thread, is that for anyone with a restricted budget, the condition of the bike is far more important than make, model, capacity.
  7. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, how about a 1998 YZ250? I unerstand they have pretty decent lower RPM torque compared to their peers and a nice spread of power. Anything to be aware of on these bikes? There's a real cheap one about 2 hours away from me. It's too pipey for the current "older" owner. :D
    I really like Yamahas by the way. If they were still offering a 600+cc dual-sport here, I would be riding one.
  8. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    NOPE. in sand, POWER is everything. yes technique comes into play, but any time you slow down for any reason, the big hp sure helps. sure, you can do just fine with 250cc, but if you want tractable power the big bores are tailor made for sand. clearly this is a sand thread, not about what's easier to ride trials with. or any other terrain for that matter.

if it's straight up neverending sand, you gotta go bigger bore than 250cc. rokoneer's atk would make just about the sweetest sand bike.. wouldn't wanna ride it in the trails though... if you gotta go yz250, go much newer - the sss forked models are starting to come down in price...

twin dorker's comments prove once again my mental picture of him is correct.

[​IMG]
    'can you help me kick my bike?'
  9. 81cr450

81cr450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 250 you will wear out pretty quick "trying" to keep up with the 500's. Not to call you rotund but what do you weigh? A really clean bike is a hard to find used I usually figure $1000 just to get it up to snuff + farkles. 03 - 04 chromoly framed yz250 + a big bore kit & a wr400 wide ratio trans would be a blast. You could do it with the cr & 01 was the last year of the best motor, 450x trannies fit from what I hear

one of these older balance shaft gas gas would make a fun all around 250 with a 300 big bore cylinder of course :evil

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...les&hash=item27d4f709c4&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1022

If I was looking for a 250 I'd spend some time here

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

or anybike here

http://www.bikefinds.com/ or here http://www.yakaz.com/
  10. 81cr450

81cr450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone needs to ride a K5 with "powervalves"
  11. Rot Box

Rot Box Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CR vs. KX in the sand.... Hmm... The KX gets my vote (not by much) for sand but the CR wins everywhere else. While they both haven't changed a whole lot since the late 80's the CR feels a little more modern to me personally. Hard to start? No. Easy to start? No. :D

As far as dirt bikes go 500's rule the dunes--a healthy 250 heck even the 300-380 KTM's/450 4T's can't compare. There's nothing quite like it :clap They're a lot of fun on the trail too. Loads of torque and very predictable power.

While we're on the subject here's my 84 CR500R. 520cc (91mm) major head/port work, 39mm PWK air striker carb. Pro-Action suspension... It makes me feel young again! My friends bike is a 92 Yamaha WR500 which is a hoot I really like that bike. They came with a wide ratio trans, large fuel tank, kickstand and suspension tuned for trail riding amongst other things not found on the motocross bred bikes. No shortage of power either.

[​IMG]
  12. rpmwfo

rpmwfo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I love my KX500. It has built motor. Tons of power everywhere. Dead simple. Easy enough to start. I keep waiting for RPMmfg to come out with a replacement head with the compression release for easier starting.

I would like to find a CR500AF for a good price to try out though.

For wide open running I like the stability of the KX. I like the ergos of the CR, but didn't feel as comfortable blasting in the desert.
  13. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

I think the later KX's had the cylinders drilled just above the exhaust port to make starting easier. But I guess it would be pretty easy to modify a stock head to accept a chainsaw decompressor, which would probably work better than the hole in cylinder wall.
  14. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of great info here guys, thanks!
    I'm really not concerned with having the latest and greatest suspension, the older stuff works just fine for me. I'm sure the '98 YZ250 I mentioned would work fine for me as well but I've made the decision to stick with a 500.
    I also want to keep the buy-in price low as well, which means I'll be looking at the older bikes. I don't mind having to do some work to the bike. I do all the wrenching myself and get a pretty decent discount on parts at my local dealers.

Andrew (Rot Box)- You've done an excellent job on your '84. Very nice bike.
    I've thought about the Yamaha WR500 as well as the late '80s YZ490s. I rarely seem them for sale locally.

A little FYI. I'm sure my Husaberg would do everything I want on the sand. It has every bit the power of a two-stroke 500 (maybe more) and pulls hard from idle to redline. I just don't want to beat on it in the sand. I'm a conservative, flowing style off-road rider having learned how to use momentum growing up riding under powered bikes.
    So basically I'm looking for a two-stroke to go out and cut loose on and not be concerned about breaking it. Just beat on it, baby! :lol3
  15. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with an older bike, but many of these are badly worn, and you do need to look pretty closely at things like rear units, which can be costly to repair/replace.
  16. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    must... resist...

AAAAArgh

T-S
    Either you cant jet a bike correctly or you dont know how to find TDC, option 2 is moot with a decomp.

As for the OP's question the K5's are generally easier to find and cheaper, however aftermarket support is considerably smaller then the CR.

IMHO get a CR5
  17. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    500 2T MX bikes are far harder to start than most other 2T machines, but can be made much easier to start by fitting a cheap chainsaw decompressor valve into the head.

Flooding the carb, rather than using the choke also tends to make them start easier, but still never ever going to as user friendly as a smaller capacity bike, which for most people is easier to ride faster than an open class bike.
  18. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    awesome. so tell us which big bore 2 stroke you have owned?
  19. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

How do you like your Gas Gas?

I am looking at either a new XC 300 or XC 250 for my next bike
  20. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    500 2T MX bikes are far harder to start than most other 2T machines, but can be made much easier to start by fitting a cheap chainsaw decompressor valve into the head.

Flooding the carb, rather than using the choke also tends to make them start easier, but still never ever going to as user friendly as a smaller capacity bike, which for most people is easier to ride faster than an open class bike.