What's a Better Sand Bike--CR500 or KX500

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by brucifer, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

Interesting that those who take the time and trouble to properly research a particular subject, and post up information relating to this that is 100% technically correct, face get banned, while those who post half assed BS which is simply wrong, are seemingly welcomed with open arms!

My research into 2T lubrication, has not involved anything to do with information found on the net (which from troll posts on the subject, all seems to date back to the 1970s), and is all related to email and telephone conversations with oil manufacturer tech deparments. Most recently a mail from Amsoil tech suggested that they would recommend the use of their specific pre-mix only oil, in pre-mix bikes, over the Amsoil autolube product favoured by many trolls on here.
  2. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    I asked my play bike motor which oil it liked?

Motors reply "the TTS RS is just fine"!

[​IMG]
  3. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the tube framework round the front of the pipe..............although must admit never seen that type of thing fitted to a factory race bike before?
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well gee Einstien that's his motorcycle and thus funds are not unlimited as a factory bike would be. So he is protecting his investment.

What you fail to recognize is we post results and you are simply (emphasis on simple) parroting something said by an unseen person on the other end of a phone or e-mail who is in all likelihood reading from a computer screen.

We actually ride motorcycles and aren't afraid to fail should the results be less than anticipated. It's called testing. For every time my testing is unsuccessful there are many that fail. That's called development. And the process is no different than what the big dollar factory efforts less the large budget.

So to that end I say post up some results. Keep the petty insults for they have no effect other than further revealing your lack of personal knowledge. That is information gained from racing motorcycles,not seeing what others do and taking that for your own. As stated earlier you are nothing more than a charlatan. So thanks for the entertainment.

Dance twinsucker!

BTW twinsucker have you ever looked at slideways signature? The man rides and posts up the evidence. How 'bout you? Left the basement recently?
  5. Valleyrider

Valleyrider I Survived The '60s

Oddometer:

I agree with you..... You need to seek out a much smarter, troll free site to post on. Bye Bye now :lol3
  6. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

As stated repeatedly in previous posts, using autolube oil is just fine for less serious racers or play bike riders. However for anyone who is serious and demands the best possible lubrication and engine performance, then using a product such as Castrol XR77 is a win win decision, and other than slightly increased cost has no downside.
  7. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Just to remind you, needless dickery is frowned upon here.

It's quite alright in JM thought, so may I suggest you take it there.:deal
  8. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah guys, I'd prefer my thread stays where it's at so let's get back to the original question.

Thanks. :p3rry :D
  9. 81cr450

81cr450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah it'd be nice to find out what you get & how you like it. It I wanna listen to bitching I can go hang out with old ladies.
  10. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've really been leaning towards that '90 KX500 I showed you guys earlier. The problem is I have a bad lower back and drives that long are pretty much out of the question. I can ride much farther than I can sit in a truck.

The bike is on consignment at a shop. I have talked with both the shop and the owner about transporting the bike up to me (paying them of course to do it) but so far it looks like they're not interested.

Anyone viewing this thread close to Santa Rosa interested in making a few bucks for transporting a KX500? :D :evil :wink: :deal :ear
  11. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you all think of a '92 Yamaha WR500?
  12. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Want :eek1
  13. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:

Oh alright Buzz Killington....................:evil
  14. Rot Box

Rot Box Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friend rides the one in the pic I posted earlier. What a fun bike! Where the CR and KX are motocross bred the WR is built for cross country. It has a heavy flywheel, lighting coil, 18" wheel, wide ratio, kickstand, off-road tuned suspension, larger fuel tank etc. all from the factory :deal Not nearly as much aftermarket support as the others though.

I would like to own one someday. From what I can tell the power is similar to the others in its class. Much like the YZ490's they were known to ping--a lot when worked hard. My friends does this often in the dunes but not so much on the trail. The Eric Gorr head mod would likely help eliminate this (it did wonders on my 84 CR) as does fine tuning the jetting. I would probably do that mod first thing if it were me.
  15. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    There are a few things you can do to the YZ 490 for the pinging. The E Gorr treatment being the first choice. Retarding the timing or adding an extra base gasket. The last two mods soften the hit a bit.

I have had many YZ s over the years and I always check the timing first they always seem to come with a little too much advance.
  16. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would guess the Eric Gorr head modification is closing up overly wide squish clearance, and slightly reshaping the combustion chamber to reduce compression a little to work better with very poor modern fuels.

Anyone with access to a lathe, a dremel tool, and simple measuring tools should be able to easily do this modification themselves, and it is something that works very well indeed, given that stock squish clearances are very often pretty wide.
  17. DavidKXF

DavidKXF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only ride desert single track and I had a 2004 CR250R which turned out to be a reasonable bike in this environment but very difficult to get the fueling right. I eventually sold it and got a 2008 RM250 which is much more snappy and easier to fuel. After fitting a JD Jet kit a flywheel weight and re-valving the suspension the bike came into its own; oh and it also handles the sand better than the CR (turns in easier).

I am not a 4T fan but in the sandy single trail environment the 450's and 530's do rule.
  18. rpmwfo

rpmwfo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never rode one. I would be concerned about parts availability. KX5 and CR5 parts are all over the place. Something to consider if you are going to be beating on it in the dunes....
  19. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its very easy to reduce the squish clearance on any 1980s 2T bike, without paying people 3/-4 times as much as this work should properly cost, by choosing to have the work carried out on the recommendations of trolls!
  20. Rot Box

Rot Box Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes because that is a lot easier and more cost effective compared to paying an expert (for lack of a better word) with well over 60,000+ port/head jobs to their credit a measly $50 :fpalm :rolleyes

Time is money.

I have given the op my advise and opinions based on the experience I have had in the past. He is more than capable of choosing what he thinks is best and making his own decisions based upon that. But hey thanks for calling me a troll.