What's a Better Sand Bike--CR500 or KX500

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by brucifer, Jul 18, 2013.

1. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    FJ_Kevin-- Thanks! I'm not so sure I can live up to your predictions, though. :lol3

dynodave-- Thanks. Is it a good one because of the year or....? :ear
  2. dynodave

dynodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's the first CR500! A monster.
  3. Rockcat

Rockcat LDA

Oddometer:
    It is a monster, the '83 480 is tame compared to it. I thought it was too twitchy and like the later bikes better. I remember the '87 having the best suspension I had ever used. WTF, it's just for fun; so ride what you got.
  4. The Flyin Hawaiian

The Flyin Hawaiian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I built this 04 KX250/500 hybrid 2 years ago. It uses a 02 KX500 engine. I ride primarily tight woods with it and I find it extremely easy to ride. Its slightly detuned with a optional thicker headgasket, a Service Honda KX500AF FMF Gnarly pipe and a Q silencer. 14/51 gearing. Its easy to kick, my wife starts it and rides it and wants me to build her one! It takes a bit of technique to ride a 500. Good throttle and clutch control is your friend! I race enduros with mine and just did the Hancock Quarry Run dualsport on it. It pretty much replaced my KX250 as my do it all bike.

[​IMG]

Same bike different graphics and tank.

[​IMG]
  5. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The funny thing is people don't believe it.
  6. dynodave

dynodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    A lot of guys let their balls override their abilities and scare themselves. You don't buy a 500 if you can;t even handle a 125 , let alone a 250.
  8. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Brings back memories of when I was 16 or 17.

One of the guys I knew proudly announced to everyone that he was buying an 83 KX500.

We all thought he was joking because he was about 13 or 14 and his only experience on a bike was riding his fathers old farm bike.

As soon as we realised he was serious we all tried to talk him out of it but that made him more determined to show us that he could handle it and thought we were trying to stop him getting a better bike than our 125s and 175s.

I think he had it about a month and then and it mysteriously disappeared and he bought an old farm quad.

I don't think anyone gave him shit about getting the shit scarred out of him, I think we were just thankful he survived:lol3.
  9. Sp4rks

Sp4rks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Hey, 125s are the shit. Well, not for sand, but, yah know.
  10. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Ride something bigger for a day. When you get back on the 125 you'll feel like you can run faster.:lol3
  11. Sp4rks

Sp4rks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I think I might take you up on that. New KTM dealer just arrived(Got their bikes in on Saturday, used to be just a Ducati dealership, already sent their mechanics to school to get KTM certification), they got a 300xc in they might demo. I want my next bike to be a 300xc or 250xc. Maybe this new dealership can make it happen. Sure hope that 125 goes to a good home though once I'm done with it though.
  12. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey gents! Well, I may be the owner of a 1993 KX500 by the end of the day. It needs work of course but I think it will be a lot less of a project (hopefully) than the '84 CR500.

And speaking of the CR--it's being sold this weekend. A restoration enthusiast is assuming ownership. I'm happy it's going to him as now it will be restored to its former formidable glory. :clap

He sent me a pic of a 1980 YZ465 he did and I was impressed. He does nice work.

I'll of course post pics of the KX when (if) I do the deal.
  13. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiƶ, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    In my personal experience with 500cc bikes, (I have a KTM 500 1989), nearly any big two stroke does the job riding in deep sand well if you have enough pace while riding. When it's occasionally getting slower they don't do so well they start digging with ease. You might install a heavier fly wheel or additional fly wheel weight for more torque from the bottom and better traction, this helps starting the bike a lot too, additional 16 oz (1kg) did wonder to mine in terms of starting and traction.

I think you should look out for a 500cc that is in best shape for the price (you did that already so +12 points here) but then too considering the availability and prices of spare parts too.
  14. Rot Box

Rot Box Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope it works out for you Brucifer :clap

I've been looking into KX500's lately as well. My 84 is a hoot in the dunes but after last weekend I'm starting to realize just how much I'm pushing the cooling (air) to its limits. I think a KX with some aftermarket radiators would be the ticket. Keep us posted.
  15. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have thought about the flywheel weights as well. I'll see how it works as is but for what I want this bike for, a weight will probably be the ticket.
    Besides the beach, we have a riding area by one of our local rivers (the Eel River) that has a natural terrain MX track plus trails and such that has dirt, sand and river rock. My plan is to use this bike for these areas instead of beating up the XR600 there.

Thanks RB. The cooling issue was one of my thoughts too--crap gas, power sucking sand and old school air cooled big two stroker aren't an optimal combination.:lol3
    I probably wouldn't have an issue though as it rarely gets past 70 degrees F here on the coast of the Pacific. Just a few miles inland it does get in the 80s-100s in the summer.
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    32:1 in VP U4.2 and deep mud with a fat ass riding it and my air cooled YZ465 never even hiccuped. The leaded race fuel,lots of good oil and proper jetting go a long ways to keeping smokers healthy.
  17. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1! I really like the VP C-12 as well and its quite a bit cheaper.

IMOH The CR is way easier to ride, for me anyway. I had an '86 works replica, and man that bike beat me up. I had an '87 KX and it was better, then I had a 2001 CR500 and it was the bomb!! Until I broke my shoulder on it.. Traded it in for a new crf450 and never looked back.

In '85 the CR500 had to be de-tuned just to ride, that's why they are so desireable and pricy, just ask Ricky Johnson. I saw him tear up one of our local tracks on one, and he told me that once his mechanics could turn the power down a little it was a great bike. otherwise he could not get it started.

At the time, Jeff Ward used my '86 for a demo day at a local club and rode it around the block, he was all smiles when he returned, I had so much money in that thing..

Anyway, Good luck with the big bore 2 strokes!
  18. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here it is. I have new side covers and radiator shrouds on the way to replace the crappy faded pieces.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It hasn't been run in three years. I'm gonna see if I can get it lit off today.
  19. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well this didn't go as I'd hoped. I put fresh gas in it and was kicking it over slowly--you know, just trying to prime it--and I felt a little play somewhere. I grabbed the kickstarter with my hand, got it on compression and moved it back and forth. Sheeyt! The play (and a muted clank) is coming from the top end--sounds kinda like a wrist pin. :baldy
    I got it fired and let it idle just long enough to confirm my suspicion--it rattled like heck! :bluduh
    Ahh well.....hope the rod's okay...
  20. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    I ride a 91 kx500, it's unstoppable in deep sand, mud, rocks, asphalt, moon rocks you name it. I love the bike, used to ride an 86 cr 500, maico 490, rm 400, 500 but the kx has been my favorite. Very smooth tractable power.
    Forgot, I have an FMF good series fatty pipe on it, the factory pipe got mangled in a crash short track racing years ago.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk