What's it like to hit a Deer?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by MrBob, Nov 24, 2020.

1. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_0967.jpeg

This is what it's like to hit a Deer.
    Bastard ran out of the woods at dusk and smashed into my van. I saw nothing until I hit him. I waited 3 hours on a lonely highway for a tow truck and my insurance paid to have it towed 97 miles back to Tallahassee. My beloved van's fate remains to be determined.
  2. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    I always swear that next time, I'll cut out the backstraps. But then the next time it happens, I'm so pissed off I don't want to.
    Critic, local1 and ozmoses like this.
  3. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Always hopeful, yet discontent Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Ford Focus had 225,000 miles on it, I shit you not, and then got totaled by a deer strike. There honestly wasn't all that much damage but insurance company said NO to fixing the car.
    Bt10 likes this.
  4. MrBob

Oddometer:
    I went looking for the bastard, planning to beat him to death if he wasn't already, but he was nowhere to be seen.
    Askel likes this.
  5. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Between Candi and I, we once hit 10 deer in a 6 year time period, while also averaging at least one windshield replacement per year. Country living!
    Rick G, MrBob and Bt10 like this.
  6. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    I have hit at least a dozen over the last 20 years . The first 6 or 7 weren't so bad , I was driving one of my beater work trucks and the damage was minimal . Usually fixed them out of pocket with junkyard parts.

The last 5 have been a little harder on the checkbook . Two hits on motorcycles that I walked away and didnt even go down but caused a little damage to the bikes . Two trucks that probably caused 7 grand damage and the finale was the deer I hit that totaled my bike , Broke my leg in a couple places and kept me out of work for a couple months . Cost me about 10 grand out of pocket and may have ended my riding career for good.

So yeah , I hate deer with a passion.
    RedRocket, bigdog99, Cbody and 4 others like this.
  7. hwy61

hwy61 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Deer W.png
  8. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    "On rural roads keep a sharp eye out for deer crossing signs and keep a
    couple of fingers poised to squeeze those binders. In fact, you probably
    should be ready for deer anytime. Deer don't know spit about the rules of the
    road and will assume they have the right-of-way almost every time. Oh....and
    don't forget they can't read. Those dummies don't always cross the road where
    the highway department puts the signs up. If you spend a lot of time riding
    in deer country, you may want to invest in a pair of those deer whistles. You
    can usually get them at any store that sells sporting goods. They are
    available in plastic and metal. My advise is to get the metal ones and keep
    the receipt. The metal ones have the greatest chance of staying in one piece
    after you center punch a deer, so when you hobble into the store on crutches
    with your receipt and worthless deer whistle you will have something to show
    them to get your refund."
    -Mr. Thrifty, "Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly"
    zundappuk, garfey, MiniBike and 7 others like this.
  9. subvet

subvet extremely average Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a cousin killed years ago after a deer strike in his car that came through the windshield. have had 2 friends hit deer on bikes and both were broken up but not life threatening. i’ve had a couple of close calls on the bike and about a year before i quit riding, wouldn’t ride after dark any longer with all the damn deer out there. one more thing that kinda took the fun out of riding
    local1 likes this.
  10. Dave Edwards

Dave Edwards Carminian

Oddometer:
    Nice sunny October Sunday afternoon, T-boned a huge 12 point buck with my Yamaha Venture. I killed the deer, and while passed out I slid several hundred feet down the highway, and landed in the ditch. Woke up after 15 minutes or so . I slowly started to move various body parts, and was really grateful to learn that I could stand, walk, and talk. I was one sore SOB for a couple of weeks. All of my insurance policies paid off, bought a new bike and gear, and away we go !! That was 1995. I've hit 4 since then in cars and trucks----I don't really care for deer. :clap
    local1 and wilfred like this.
  11. ehatcher

ehatcher Hello? Is this thing on? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on what you are driving when you hit them. Hit one with my wife's Eclipse and it was a big bang and a lot of damage. Hit one with my F350 (big steel aftermarket bumper) while hauling a load of stuff and a backhoe on the trailer: that was more like a bug hitting the windshield.

Their is a big fundamental difference between car and bike accidents. In a car, the car has the accident. On a bike YOU have the accident. Haven't smacked a deer on a bike yet, hoping to avoid that one.
  12. Robb

Robb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Car-deer strikes were common where I grew up, we had a scanner & that accounted for much of the traffic during certain times of the year. My folks drilled it into us, "Hit the brakes but NEVER SWERVE TO AVOID A DEER", usually that's when bad turned to worse, and deer are softer than trees. Hit one with my first bike back in 1983. 60mph, had a date on the back who was wearing my helmet on my insistence. I had no helmet on, and used up ALL my good luck that night. Hit the deer dead center, I remember going over the bike, remember feeling fur on my way over, remember the slide and the awful sight of my date sliding. My head never touched the pavement. We both got up and were fine aside from a lot of abrasions, mostly to my leg. Several miles from the nearest buildings. Deer was dead.

We got ourselves calmed down & limped down the road, hoping the store down at the highway was open. It wasn't, but the fire dept had all the doors open, they'd had first aid training that night & everyone was sitting around eating cake and drinking coffee. We came dragging ourselves up out of the darkness and I remember seeing some confused faces, not sure if we were part of some drill or something. Got a ride in a squad car with siren blaring, and a nurse scrubbed asphalt out of my leg for a long time. Hurt like hell, but obviously I was one lucky SOB. Lost a few things out there on the road, never found my watch, etc. Doctor took a look at the scars on the chin bar & face shield of my helmet, said if she hadn't been wearing it she'd have been in bad shape or worse.

Called Dad, first thing he wanted to know if whether I was okay, followed closely by "Did you tell them you wanted the keep the deer."
  13. MrBob

Oddometer:

A 12 kHz signal is outside the normal hearing range of a deer, which means it is also ineffective. Another study published in 2009 by the “Journal of Wildlife Management” concluded that whistle like noises do not change deer behavior in any way. So there's your answer. They simply don't work.Feb 17, 2015

This is one of any number of articles and studies on the whistles calling them worthless. I lived in Minnesota when these things were hitting the market and we were desperate for anything that might reduce collisions with Deer so we bought them like crazy. It's laughable when you think about it.
    LS650, Cbody, DockingPilot and 2 others like this.
  14. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    +100!!!
    Hard to react that way, but as stated, swerving often ends up hitting trees or rolling the car. 4000lb car vs 150lb deer.....car wins.
    wilfred likes this.
  15. Dewtwo

Dewtwo old trail rider! Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are SOO thick here in the Ozarks of Missouri. Cliped one in the car 1/2 mile up the road from home 3 days ago. Anti-locks fully applied!
    6 years ago a running, leaping deer coming from my left cleaned me off my bike. Never saw it.
    This time of year EXTRA, EXTRA bad!!!...

Close calls every ride and drive...
    brenter likes this.
  16. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    I've hit one in a van, one on a motorcycle and the best miss I've had in our old Civic. The van one occurred shortly after we moved from in town to the 'burbs. I was on my way to work in the pre-dawn and felt a WHAM out of nowhere. Stopped, as did the pickup guy behind me, and he's the one who told me it had been a deer and he'd also hit it after it ricocheted off my vehicle. No deer to be seen but I had a dented hood and broken headlight. It wasn't until I saw the van in daylight that I saw the destroyed right fender and the smear of shit down the right side, so I guess the deer hit me. I was surprised they didn't total the van with what it cost to repair.
    deer door fender.JPG

Motorcycle was on the Blue Ridge Parkway and I saw a doe with fawn starting to cross. I braked hard and the doe turned but the fawn ran into the left side, missing me but hitting the left Krauser bag. Wobbled but did not go down. I later found hairs in the left passenger peg and I actually had a spare left Krauser at home. A buddy's brother in the mountains had a R80 with fighter-like silhouettes on his tank; deer, deer, deer, raccoon, turkey, etc.

The miss was also on the BRP. If you've ever sat in an '05 Civic you know about the view out the front; no hood in sight and all road and air ahead. Imagine that view filled with a leaping deer in mid-curve occurring immediately after you've told your wife with dusk falling that you really need to be on the lookout for deer. I'm convinced the front bumper was actually below the deer at that point and we're both really lucky it didn't land in our laps.
  17. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahh deer stories.

In bigger trucks like another poster talked about, with those big bumpers that are so popular.....yup you might not know a thing is wrong till you hit the brakes 5-6 times then discover only the back brakes are working as a leg ripped off a hose up front as it went under the truck.

My bike vs deer resulted in a couple broken ribs, who knew there is a difference between cracked and broken, one dead versys, and fire guys that are way too quick with their scissors loving to cut off $300 over pants....at least they did not cut off my boots. Those hose draggers love to play with their scissors. And getting an IV while buzzing down a gravel road in the back of a mambulance reminded me of another life time.

Work at a pretty rural cop shot and you will see all manner of deer vs motor vehicles.
    ptarman likes this.
  18. Dogscout

Dogscout Wow why and adventure

Oddometer:
    I hit one in my F150. Going down the road in the dark on the way to work. Suddenly I saw a head and antlers coming over the jersey bouncer to my left. He took out the head light, the left fender, the drivers door, the rear door and the side of the bed. Basically he bounced down the left side of the truck. Mother Fucker probably did a few pirouettes along the way. Traffic was moving so it took me a 1/2 a mile to get over to the right side in a pull off. called the cops and told them there was a dead one in the left lane and more folks were gonna get bloody. They thanked me and I went on to work.

It sucks hitting one.
    MrBob likes this.
  19. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    My wife is a magnet for deer hitting her.

All of her cars have been T-boned at least once- her present car was nailed twice in the same day, week one!

I had a button buck commit suicide a few years ago as he turned and ran down the road straight at my bumper.

Small one, he made about 10 lbs of jerky.

I once regraded them as majestic creatures of the wood; the truth is that they are vermin.
    Dewtwo likes this.
  20. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer: