What's it like to hit a Deer?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by MrBob, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    I have been riding 42 years. Hit a deer in 2014 and had a year long rehab period and I still have issues with an injury. Reading these posts makes me think if it happens again I may give up riding.
  2. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you considered or are using an airvest like Helite or Alpinstars Tech Air 5?
  3. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    An air vest would not have kept my right leg from being broken in 3 places. If I was wearing motocross boots maybe 2 fractures could have been avoided.
  4. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True but might help in future for upper body. Just heard of introduction of air bag pants coming on the market in 2021.
  5. dmitriy_adv

dmitriy_adv Dmitriy M

Oddometer:
    First time I ever rode a motorcycle on the road - go out at 6am to avoid traffic, have a deer jump out in front of me on a gravel road. Got so close that gravel from it's hooves hit my helmet.

In cars, I've hit a deer before, but also was hit *BY* a deer.

Late at night on the interstate one time, brake for a deer, almost to a stop, only to have the deer run across 4 lanes - WIPE OUT on the opposite shoulder, fall down, get up and run back across the freeway just as we were passing by. Ran right into the side of the car, broke the mirror, scrambled over the hood and windshield, put a bunch of dents in it and scared the crap out of us. I had a similar story happen to a friend who was completely stopped at a stop sign in front of me. Deer came out of nowhere and ran into the side of his car for not apparent reason.
  6. RiderGary

RiderGary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here in Oregon deer are a big concern and I've had a few close calls but it wasn't a deer that got me. I hit a damn cougar in the middle of the afternoon. I thought they only roamed around at night. It came running up from a ravine, through the trees, onto the road right in front of me. I was doing about 50-60mph and had enough time to say "OH SHIT". I hit it dead center in the rib cage with my front wheel. The impact broke my left clip-on and my wrist. Caused my bike and myself to summersault. My Ducati landed on it's rear wheel crushing it, then hitting the left side and bouncing over to the right side, damaging just about everything so it was totaled. I flipped through the air and landed in the middle of the road on my ass sitting up. Fortunately, I'm a ATGATT guy so no road rash, just some torn up riding gear.
    photo - Copy.JPG photo (2).JPG photo (1).JPG DSCF0077.JPG
    IDScarecrow, zdc1775 and dirtmarine like this.
  7. zdc1775

zdc1775 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the first time I've seen a motorcycle on cougar wreck. Based off the little I know about those terrifying things, I'm guessing that it's a good thing the impact killed it. The last thing I would want to be worried about after a wreck is whether or not the pissed off and injured animal I hit was going to come back and try to finish the job.
    RiderGary likes this.
  8. ADKbeemer

ADKbeemer Understanding Serendipity

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210128_081718668_HDR.jpg
    ...just hit one last week, first one in about 20 years. At night with oncoming traffic. Four came from left to right. I punched the brakes and hit the last one. If I could have had 2 more seconds or been able to swerve...

4,500 in damage, the Xeon headlamp with cornering is 1,000. Came close on the bike many times but so far no hits. Be careful, moose are really scary.
  9. Calimari

Calimari Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hit a deer dead center with my F250 just past dusk on WB CA 108 just west of US 395. I’d slowed to about 45, because I’d seen a small herd cross the highway way up ahead, but this deer was on a suicide mission and jumped right into my path from the ditch. I didn’t even have time to touch the brakes.

The initial impact was pretty violent and probably fatal by itself, but then he got sucked under the truck and lifted the front wheels as he got ground against the pavement by the oil pan or front suspension. After about 2 seconds, he came loose, and the bed jumped about 2’ in the air as the rear end ran over him.

I just kept going, because it was about 10 miles to the first street light that would allow me to survey the damage. My wife said, “Aren’t you going to stop?!” I said, “What are we going to do, take him to the vet?”

Fortunately he was a small deer and only bent the bumper. Had he been a little taller, he would’ve raised hell with the plastic grille, heat exchangers, etc.