What's it like to hit a Deer?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by MrBob, Nov 24, 2020.

1. road hammer

road hammer have map will travel

Oddometer:
    above the 49th, it's "hit a deer, avoid a moose!"
    (and downunder it's don't hit a Wombat!)
  2. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    In north Florida it's hit a deer, avoid an Armadillo.
  3. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was less than 6 inches from being hit by a deer on my bicycle.

Nothing is safe during deer season.

Rod
  4. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Dusk = otherwise known as " Deer Thirty ".

Its been said the whistles make the deer freeze up when they hear them .

If you see one cross, quit lookin at that one. Instead look where he came from for # 2 still underway !
    wilfred, neanderthal and STcorndog like this.
  5. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Walked" would not be exactly correct. I wasn't hurt really badly. Metacarpals broken to 90* on both hands, 4 ribs, one of which was disconnected and whatever wasn't broken became a very interesting color over the next few days and weeks. My BMW Rallye suit looked like a bear had had its way with it but I did not have a scratch on me. Based on where the severe bruises were, I credit the armor for saving me from a few other breaks.

Exactly 90 days later on Dec 15 I managed to ride my new GSA home (barely) and I had 15K on it by May when I left for a 48 states/30 days ride with my best riding buddy.

I'm not particularly fond of deer anymore which is even more ironic since there is a small herd of 8-12 living around my property.
    wilfred and MrBob like this.
  6. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely !

Only time worse than gun deer season is bow season right before it during rut. At least gun season drives em deeper into the woods from all the gunshots. When they are all horny crazy, with arrows flying around, they go god damn bonkers !
  7. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    f052074a444027ba4d13b7f0a88f5718.jpg
    wilfred and ADV890R like this.
  8. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your experience looks to be somewhat similar to mine, crushed right front fender, hood. Car was a Saab 9000 and it was around $1200 in damage, 10 or 12 years ago. A good-sized buck and he ran off into the woods.

I hope it works out ok for you.
  9. Trialsguy

Trialsguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A number of years ago some riding buddies showed up at a trials event with the bikes on an open trailer behind their car. Not far from the site, a deer had bounded out of the woods and landed between the car trunk and in front of the bikes. It mustn’t have been a very big one, since the damage to the bikes was limited to broken levers and bars (which they had spares for) , but they had to power wash the guts and fur off before they could ride them.
  10. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    This should make you all feel better.... 024.JPG
    And, I have hit 2 with my bike, one of which tried very hard to kill me.
    wilfred, eddyturn and Carlo Muro like this.
  11. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    I ride and I hunt. I have hunted deer for 45 years. The above information is erroneous. Hunting pressure has very little effect on deer crossing roads. Contrary to above, when deer feel hunting pressure they start sleeping during the day and feeding nocturnally. As for escaping gunfire, I have many times shot a deer standing in a group, only to reload and shoot a second one. I have watched deer in a field when the neighbor shoots and they hardly look up from what they are doing.

Deer breed in November and the peak varies by latitude. When the breeding season (rut) is on, bucks pursue does and either of them will cross the roads with little thought of vehicles. Other times of the year deer are pretty good about getting across roads without getting hit.

Spend your deer whistle money on deer tags.
    006.JPG
    Devil Dog, wilfred, Oldmanx and 2 others like this.
  12. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My mom hit a deer with her month old Mercedes outside of Athens, GA - did about $5,000 in damage but she wasn't hurt.
    I clipped a deer in my Range Rover - I almost got stopped - he almost got out of the way - and my friend following behind me almost rammed me when I slammed on the binders.
    Deer got knocked down but got up and ran away unhurt - left front turn signal taken out. Got an ARB bumper the next month.
    A good friend of mine was out riding with some buddies easy of Atlanta on a gravel road. They came around a corner and Charles was unconscious in the middle of the road - spent two months in the hospital and never did remember what happened.
    Only clue was some deer fur caught in the clutch lever and his faceshield pivot.

Deer are thick in upstate New York where my wife is from - every visit up there is a state of high alert - we typically see a hundred deer or more every visit at all times of the day. We have several that hang out in our back yard in a suburb of Atlanta,
    The woods rat population is growing and they aren't nocturnal any more - saw a doe in my back yard this morning and the buck was grazing a week or so ago in the middle of the day.

C12P3434.JPG
  13. ptarman

ptarman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been hit twice by deer on motorcycles. First was in WV just after dark. I was riding my C-10 Connie. A friend of mine and I were heading back to Canaan Valley SP during the Concours Owners Group National Rally. As I came around a curve I saw a doe on the right, maybe 10' off the road, and a parking area for a fishing spot on the left. I slowed down to maybe 25-30 mph, thought I was past and she charged out of the woods and smacked into front fender, wrapped around the bike on the right side and was gone. My headlight went out and I managed to get stopped on a steep slope to the left, in the dark, with my right foot on the ground. I couldn't get off the bike without dropping it. My buddy ran up, tapped me on the shoulder , set my right pannier on the ground and said he'd be right back after he pulled the deer out of the road. Just he came back, a pickup goin the other way stopped, through the deer in the back of the truck and boogied. Steve got my pannier back on the back (although the pannier mounting bracket was broken, and told me to follow him back to the park. It turned out that having a headlight 20-30 feet in front of your bike isn't too bad. The headlight had just come unplugged, but there was about $2700 damage to the bike, which I fixed after I got back to Colorado.

The 2nd time I was on my Honda NT700V at high noon south of Buena Vista, CO, as I was on my way to Tombstone for the SCMA's Three Flags tour in '16. Up until then I almost always rode 5-8 mph over the speed limit, but when I woke up that morning, I thought to myself, "Self, you're retired, you're not in a race, just ride the limit. Because I rode the limit, 180 miles later I got to Nathrop, site of a bunch of river-rafting companies just as the first bunch of rafters was leaving. There was a lot traffic and the guy in front of me pulled over and opened his door. I was watching him to see what he was doing and didn't see the little buck (and two doe) standing on the center lane until I was right on them. I had both hands on the clutch and brake levers, thought I was going to get past them and the buck made his dash. His antler hit my fairing, braking it, the windscreen, the left mirror, and smashing my hand. I got stopped and got off the bike, just as the guy who had pulled up in front of me pulled up behind me. He was amazed that I hadn't gone down and asked if I was OK just as I pulled off my glove. My hand was already swollen and turning black, but I could move my fingers so I assumed that it wasn't broken. Like a fool, I kept riding south, finally stopping 327 miles later in Los Lunas, NM. I managed to sleep, get suited up, zip my 'Stitch and boots and put on my helmet. What I couldn't do was ease out the clutch...or get up off the ground after I dropped the bike. Turns out a fat man who's had five artificial knees needs both hands to get up. I spent the rest of the day getting to the nearest urgent care facility to learn that my hand was smashed. The next day I arranged to have the bike taken to Honda shop in Albuquerque, rented a car and drove half way back home to Greeley. Repairing the bike cost $2700, repairing my hand was $12,000 plus PT. Fortunately insurance covered most of both bike and hand repairs.
  14. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Are you really sure you hit it?
  15. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Now that's nuts. We won't even let them drive cars here.
    garfey, Need For Speed, Lep and 8 others like this.
  16. TacocaT

TacocaT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My most memorable deer strike was heading south by Klamath Lake headed to California. A semi a little ahead of us in the right lane hit a big doe and tossed it across into the northbound lane. Another semi going the other way hit it dead on with the wheels and popped it like a balloon. The windshield of our car looked like a horror film covered in vaporised deer gore. I was trapped in the left lane and it took what felt like forever for the wipers/washer to stop smearing it around.

The best part came not long after as we roll into the agricultural inspection station on the California border. Young guy there launches into his speech without looking up. The look on his face when he finally glanced at the car was priceless. Stopped him mid speech. I just said no produce but I am carrying a few pounds of fresh deer meat. He waved us on.

My first car was a 1979 vw bus we often called the suicide machine. Something about it just called out to Forest creatures. Countless possums, racoons, and other furry animals were crushed under it's wheels. I bought it cheap because it had damage from hitting a deer on the driver's side front corner just below the windshield. I later hit two more deer in it and was hit by two other deer running into the side. Hitting a deer in a VW bus is an up close and personal experience.
  17. ADV890R

ADV890R Patriotic Conservative American. Scr3w antifa

Oddometer:
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know...:lol2

I've been lucky, had one or 2 semi-close calls, managed to avoid them. I consider myself pretty lucky considering living in CO for 17 years and riding at night on occasion in the mountains, usually at a...*Ahem!*...brisk pace.
  18. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    If you managed to avoid the close-calls, does that mean you hit them, or missed them by a mile (high city)?
    brgsprint likes this.
  19. Mucka

Mucka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can’t get stopped get off the brakes. It will let the nose of the vehicle lift back to normal ride height. Might keep the deer from sliding up the hood and through the windshield.
    ridethere likes this.
  20. Longhorndoc

Longhorndoc n00b

Oddometer:
    Pikers! I hit a jackrabbit at about 80 in the Miata in 2018-was looking for deer eyes, never saw him coming. Over $3000 in damage to the air dam, left front fender.
    My wife hits one at speed every 6 years or so, and damnit! We’re due-