What's the best way to deal with Visor Fogging?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Speedslip, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Speedslip

Speedslip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey hey hey!

Temps are coming down and yesterday am was 38 causing my visor to fog like crazy. With my snowmobile helmet, i'm able to plug in and it heats the visor to solve the issue. Does anyone have an "ancient Chinese secret" for motorcycle visors?
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  2. hubbydubby

hubbydubby Rugged Path

Oddometer:
    Will your existing helmet visor support a pinlock shield?

If not, you can buy spray on liquid from an accessory dealer or use lemon juice.
    tastroman, TonyKZ1, Deano747 and 2 others like this.
  3. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had good anti-fog performance with a Pinlock on my Schuberth C3 Pro ... until using it in a dusty environment (Wheels of Morocco tour). The very fine dust embedded itself in the Pinkock seal and trashed the face shield. I ended up with a scuffed up outline of the seal on the inside of my face shield. I spoke to Schuberth at the BMWMOA rally in Iowa. It’s a known issue with the older Pinlock seal material. When I get around to replacing the face shield, I’ll try the Pinlock again.
  4. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have a snowmobile helmet with heated screen, then that's what I'd grab. I used one when riding out in Utah, and it was brilliant.

Plenty of chemical sprays & smears attempt to reduce the fogging, but none are perfect. It also really helps to add a nose & breath guard, but not all helmets have those.

In a pinch I just crack the visor and bare it. It helps that I also wear glasses, though, so I only cry a little. Still, it's a good cry.
  5. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pinlock. I will never buy a helmet without one now.
    otto, daveinva, shinyribs and 9 others like this.
  6. Petzl

Petzl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your pinlock needs to be seated correctly. and also in addition, You need to view the shield and the pinlock as a consumable. Might need to be replaced 6-12 months. or sooner depending on what conditions you ride and how you are for it.
    THere is no magic cure for fogging inside. Unless you spend some money on a snowmobile helmet with a heated shield combo.
    But do you want to plug it in all the time?
    YMMV
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  7. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Pinlock
  8. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    another vote for pinlock. But if not, I have had excellent luck using Motosolutions Fogtech DX on the inside of my face shield. Need to follow the directions or it doesnt work too well...
    TonyKZ1 and JimVonBaden like this.
  9. Speedslip

Speedslip Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks boys, had no idea about the pinlock and have helmets that will take them!! Until then, well be wearing our snowmobile helmets and start grabbing some tags up north!!!
    JaySwear and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  10. beanbandit

beanbandit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just rub dishwashing detergent, hair shampoo. something like that half rinse it off, and wipe it dry, I am a dive instructor, and the same applies to my dive
    mask,
    outbacktm, dp064, markk53 and 2 others like this.
  11. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang! I learn something nearly every time I visit the forum.

Arai claims to have an anti fog visor, although I haven't tried it.
  12. TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spit works too

But I’m in with the Pinlock
  13. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just one example... https://www.snogear.com/collections...-gm11d-snowmobile-helmet-with-electric-shield

And another... https://www.snogear.com/collections...tactic-snowmobile-helmet-with-electric-shield

There are many others, and they usu. work well when used in conjunction with a breath box + chin curtain. Those last two items are helpful even without a heated visor.
    Coma likes this.
  14. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Numerous threads on this subject under the Equipment forum also.

I was a beta tester for that Arai visor prior to it being offered up for sale, and based on my experience and the more recent experience of many others don't waste your money. The coating doesn't work well (still fogs heavily), and is so fragile it scratches by looking at it sideways. I threw mine away after the test period was over as it was scratched badly even while cleaning it gently per the directions. Apparently even Arai reps at bike shows aren't overly enthused with it.

The only drawback I've found with Pinlock inserts is if you ride extensively in the dark. Even their directions say not for night use, and I find halos around every light encountered - not so good with oncoming traffic. My 58 mile morning commute begins at 0400, so always riding in the dark then.

This Foggy Mask insert by Respro is the only thing I've found for 100% anti-fog effectiveness in all riding conditions.
    ZoomerP, AZbiker, chainslap and 2 others like this.
  15. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you gents, having only heard of the breath mustache only recently. Apparently I live under a rock.

I appreciate the feedback on the Arai visor as I was about to purchase one for my new DX4. I don’t often ride in the chilly weather here on the Emerald Coast, the high humidity makes fogging a problem at temperatures below 50F and of course when it’s raining. I’ll give the pinlocks another look.
  16. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm the variable...I've had Pinlock on three different helmets and they didn't do anything for me. I use the tried and true open the visor one click and it clears instantly. This is on Arai, Shoei and Schuberth.l
    Rollin' and PlainClothesHippy like this.
  17. Jerm21

Jerm21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pinlock here too. I used the same one on my older helmet for 5 years and it worked great the whole time in all conditions. Same experience with my new helmet. I won’t own a helmet without one.
  18. Ccieurzo

Ccieurzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the many, many products I'd tried without success.

Many of these may work OK in conditions where only light fogging may occur. My measure of success is no fogging at, say, 40 degrees in the rain, where cracking open the shield just lets rain run down the inside. Been in that situation too often and not fun.
    NxtGoRnd likes this.
  20. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried Rainex?